Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Player on Boxee

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭dkane

I don't currently have plans to implement My Videos or Categories.
    I have to manually maintain a list of shows for the A to Z, I haven't found any easy way to pull this list from the RTE website. Storing Category information for each show would just make it that bit more complex and harder to manage manually.
    I haven't even looked at the My Videos page. I guess this info is stored in cookies but I haven't had time to look into it.

Dorsanty, does the auto play work for you or do you have to press play twice to get the videos to play?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

I've had no problems with the video starting once I select play in boxee.

I haven't looked into Boxee app development myself and what you seem to have to do looks painful for the A-Z list. Are there debugging tools out there to debug compiled flash apps i.e. can you see if the player app is downloading an xml list of categories or show a-z lists or even see what calls it is making to the server at rte?

RTE Player uses Atom feeds to generate each page.
    I have just worked out the format for the a to z pages so in my next version it will pull the shows automatically (I won't need to keep the list updated)

Finding some time to work on the new version is the next problem!

Some small bug fixes made.
    Fixed the sizing of the top menu items (Look fine on my 4:3 screen. Will try different monitors later when I get a chance)
    Fixed the problem with the A to Z button only working the first time it is clicked.

You need to download version 1.0.1 of the app to get these fixes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

anyway of installing this on xbmc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Alatar

Same question. Any sign of an XBMC version?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Sneakee

Would love to see the XBMC version of this as well, would kick ass, I think XBMC is far more popular than Boxee. Hopefully it can be worked on and not end as vaporware!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

its encrypted flash so not possible to stream it on xbmc

What about the BBC iPlayer for XBMC, isn't that encrypted Flash as well?

Put forward a request to see if its possible to do in the XBMC forum.
    At least to prove if it could be done or not.

http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67855

Hoping since the RTE player went international for some of its programs that it may finally interest some people in porting it onto the XBMC. Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Xbmc doesnt support rtmpe streams (bbc iplayer uses rtmp atm)

I guess that's that so. Fair enough. Disappointing.
    I guess the Boxee platform is the only possible solution for an app. I hope with the Boxee Box from D-Link on the way, that someone developes an updated RTE app for it.
    http://ces.cnet.com/8301-31045_1-10429585-269.html
    Either to get this in combo with my existing Xbox or get a new expensive HTPC to work as Boxee/XBMC and use browser. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭McAlban

Anyone Know how you would go about creating a Plugin for TunerFree MCE for RTÉ Player?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭MrGarak

Would love to have it on XBMC, shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 donnyd

Am over in England at the moment and want to watch play back of gaelic football games. For some reason my computer cannot connect to server. Used to work fine but RTE seem to have some new format where even worldwide programmes can no longer be viewed. Anyone know anything about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Yup, RTE have locked out their RTE Player and some streams to non-Irish IPs.
    Easy way to get around not having an Irish IP is to use an Irish VPN :) An easy way is to use a pay-for VPN service.
    Linky to one called OverPlay in my sig, yes, it costs a few quid a month but yea get to use all Irish only services like RTE player and also US based services like Hulu :D

That linked service is also super easy to setup too

/plug

Linky to one called OverPlay in my sig.

Does that VPN interfere with your normal broadband in any way? I have heard that there can be problems with some of them. Whats your view?

Providing of course you;re not working for them.

donnyd wrote: »
    Providing of course you;re not working for them.

Don't work for them, but the link in the ref link is a referral linky :)

You turn the VPN on and off as you require it and allows yea to select the country yea want to VPN into to 'pretend' your in that country to fool services like BBC iPlayer (obviously of no use to you) and RTE Player.
    Very easy on Mac OSX and Windows as its a simple application that does everything.

btw, there is a lot more VPN services like OverPlay but none that I've found to be as easy and fool proof

cool man thanks. have signed up. do they send out pack or something to get it started. whats the deal with it? they wanted a delivery address. does it take long to set up etc?

• Advertisement

donnyd wrote: »
    cool man thanks. have signed up. do they send out pack or something to get it started. whats the deal with it? they wanted a delivery address. does it take long to set up etc?

Download one of these depending on your OS;
    OverPlay VPN for Windows XP / 2000 / Vista and Windows 7.
    OverPlay VPN for Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) and above.

Run it, throw in your selected login details and its all self explanatory.

If yea need more help, use their support section.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Is this still being developed? I'm thinking of getting a Boxee Box and this would be a nice addition. Right now, it seems to load the videos at 2x size so I only see a quater of the video. Also is it possible to set it to the international version of RTÉ PLayer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-vodie/
    Has TV3,RTE Player, live streams,etc.
    It works fairly good as well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Sneakee wrote: »
    http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-vodie/
    Has TV3,RTE Player, live streams,etc.
    It works fairly good as well :)

Thats for XBMC

Advertisement