Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gardai and local pubs

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Doing there job my arse ! They pick and choose when and were they wanna do it . :

Hmm. Choosing pubs, and after hours, eh? The cute hoors. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Ye....I always see Garda targeting that pub right by taxi rank....people falling out of there pissed at 4pm everyday...what was that little bit of legislation about serving people when they are intoxicated????? Clarkes a hot bed of anti-social types....I haven't laughed so much in yonksd...all those accountants and solicitors must be wetting there pants in Clarkes...all fighting outside on a Saturday night

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

talisker wrote: »
    oh please, please, please tell me where your 'friend's' pub is located, because i could always use a cold pint or two after hours!!! the laws are too draconian here don't you think. why deny us the joy of stumbling out of a pub in the wee hours of the morning, the only trouble we could get up to was trying to find a place to get a massive fry. an especially memorable if the bread is fried in the same grease that the rasher was cooked in!!

Glessons????

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭delta720

It's hilarious how people claim that Gardai have it in for them etc.
    They're people too who have families and lives, believe me they dont stay awake all night planning a small pub raid.

The point is if you've done nothing wrong then you have NOTHING to worry about. It's the people who are always crying "where are the gardai?" that when they get caught for something change their tune to "Do they have nothing better to do with their time, try catching real criminals"
    The fact is that your local garda is only going to deal with local issues, traffic corps deal with traffic, drugs squad with drugs, etc.

There will nearly always be a crime commited out there that was worse than yours.. but it doesnt excuse you.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

delta720 wrote: »
    It's hilarious how people claim that Gardai have it in for them etc.
    They're people too who have families and lives, believe me they dont stay awake all night planning a small pub raid.

The point is if you've done nothing wrong then you have NOTHING to worry about. It's the people who are always crying "where are the gardai?" that when they get caught for something change their tune to "Do they have nothing better to do with their time, try catching real criminals"
    The fact is that your local garda is only going to deal with local issues, traffic corps deal with traffic, drugs squad with drugs, etc.

There will nearly always be a crime commited out there that was worse than yours.. but it doesnt excuse you.

How about the fact the cops break the same laws i.e late drinks in various pubs and get away with it .The law is full of inconsitencies and people who know coppers personally get away with stuff like speeding and other minor offences .We all know this goes on but its accepted as the norm by everyone .Coupled with the fact that most local cops in drogheda have serious attitude problems and treat people like kids when guilty of nothing .

• Advertisement

How about the fact the cops break the same laws i.e late drinks in various pubs and get away with it .The law is full of inconsitencies and people who know coppers personally get away with stuff like speeding and other minor offences .We all know this goes on but its accepted as the norm by everyone .Coupled with the fact that most local cops in drogheda have serious attitude problems and treat people like kids when guilty of nothing .

Have you evidence? This "we all know" crap is generally just what bitter people go on about...

If you are more than garda bashing than report a complaint to the following:

http://www.gardaombudsman.ie/

Regards Delta

Have you evidence? This "we all know" crap is generally just what bitter people go on about...

If you are more than garda bashing than report a complaint to the following:

http://www.gardaombudsman.ie/

Regards Delta

of course ive evidence i drink in the pub :D garda bashing ? ahh the poor defenseless coppers .Ok i will register my complaint , will i get away
    it with any hassle from the law :eek:

of course ive evidence i drink in the pub :D garda bashing ? ahh the poor defenseless coppers .Ok i will register my complaint , will i get away
    it with any hassle from the law :eek:

Of course you will, the garda ombudsman office are completely independent of AGS, a Garda will not even know a complaint has been registered until after a full investigation has been completed.

I just hope the day you need the gardai they've got their hands tied with people of a similarly closed minded view..

Of course you will, the garda ombudsman office are completely independent of AGS, a Garda will not even know a complaint has been registered until after a full investigation has been completed.

I just hope the day you need the gardai they've got their hands tied with people of a similarly closed minded view..

you are continually missing the point here .Whats good for one must automatically be good for the other should it not ? why should certain people be able to break laws because they are either a guard themselves or a friend of one ? simple question . You remember the case of the donegal nightclub owner recently ?

you are continually missing the point here .Whats good for one must automatically be good for the other should it not ? why should certain people be able to break laws because they are either a guard themselves or a friend of one ? simple question . You remember the case of the donegal nightclub owner recently ?

I don't think you understand me, of course I'm not of the view the Gardai should go around doing what they want, hence why I suggested the Garda Ombudsman. However you seem to imply through out your posts that the majority of the gardai do go around breaking the laws, and of course some do, with a force of over 10,000 some are going to be power hungry dickhead's. But this is the same in every single profession.

You cannot comment on one or two individual cases and then say that gardai or their friends go around breaking the law and getting away with it, because it is simply untrue. Infact a garda in my local station had to see his own son arrested for a small public order charge and he went through the system the same as every1 else. We live in far too an open society for anything else to happen. Infact as soon as the gardai even step slightly out of line to deal with scum 100 times worse then the media come down on them like a ton of bricks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Does anybody actually believe that by closing pubs like McPhails and McHughs a half hour earlier that they've somehow managed to curb anti-social behaviour? :rolleyes: There are a number of pubs in town with a 2am licence that will be rammed when other pubs are shut on time - this is a far more likely cause of trouble if you ask me. I've rarely seen a punch up in Drogheda when the pubs start chucking out. 95% of the trouble I've seen has been on Narrow West Street when O' Sheas/Fusion/Earth etc. close.

How about they go down and patrol the streets at night instead of disappearing when the local knackers start kicking lumps out of each other? Some chance. :)

r u a cop delta ?

How about they go down and patrol the streets at night instead of disappearing when the local knackers start kicking lumps out of each other? Some chance. :)

This is a stupid biased statement

Also no I'm not a cop, personaly I wouldn't be fit to take the constant physical and verbal abuse on the streets day in day out without flipping and beating the crap outa some scumbag. Also with little support from our ignorant population it seems to me to be a thankless and difficult job.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Trafford Lad

I agree totally with Whiskey Devil above, and it is a valid point. The last place you will find a Garda tonight is around Narrow West St and West St tonight after the clubs have emptied out. They might actually have to do something for a change, cant be having that:rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Closing time is exactly what it says, if you want to drink more go out earlier , the pubs are open all day from 11am until 12 midnight and then you have the 2am bars whats the problem.

In dublin the bars close on the dot , same in most european countries .

Plan your night out and enjoy it, its that simple.

This is a stupid biased statement

Also no I'm not a cop, personaly I wouldn't be fit to take the constant physical and verbal abuse on the streets day in day out without flipping and beating the crap outa some scumbag. Also with little support from our ignorant population it seems to me to be a thankless and difficult job.

How is it stupid? Because it's true? :cool:

Clearly, you are the one that is biased.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭D rog

It would be nice if some of the bars like McPhails and Clarkes had a 2am license. I don't want to frequent shooters etc. being a little old now...

Any bar can get a 2am licence if they're willing to pay for it. It's quite pricey though - a fair few hundred a night.

Advertisement