Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEATWAVE POTENTIAL

Options
  • 26-06-2009 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

there is a possibilty that temperatures will reach 32 degrees in southern england early next week in association with a plume of hot air,what are the chances of any heatwave spreading to ireland, we have herd temperatures may reach the high twenties here, would there be any possibility of reaching the 30 degree mark, if so where,?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

there is a possibilty that temperatures will reach 32 degrees in southern england early next week in association with a plume of hot air,what are the chances of any heatwave spreading to ireland, we have herd temperatures may reach the high twenties here, would there be any possibility of reaching the 30 degree mark, if so where,?

places like claremorris, birr, shannon, belumllet - bascially anyplace further to the west will likely have the highest temperatures out of any heatwave coming from the east or southeast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Kilkenny too, we miss our Met Eireann weather station, it was normally a hotspot and we hold the record for Ireland at Kilkenny castle with a 33.3 deg C.

what days ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Tuesday and Wednesday look warm here with temps getting up to 27c and possibly 28c in places.

Min Oak park in Carlow that replaced Kilkenny should show you some high temps and my site also

what days ?

monday through to wednesday look like they could be the hottest days of next week.

we should see temperatures of 27-28 in quite a few places. as min mentioned kilkenny could well be the place to record the highest temperature out of it.
    birr and shannon won't be far behind either i'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

My station recorded 27.7c on June 2nd, so the potential to hit 30c is certainly within reach.

Visit www.laoisweather.com for live data.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭okioffice84

Oh please, oh please.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Looks like the heat will last through to sunday next. Thursday - Saturday could be hottest period in a long long time.

- Long time since anyone could plan a bar-b-q a week in advance!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Heatwave cancelled I think, looking at the wetterzentrale GSF it looks like the southern plume of hot air isn't going to happen, rather its going to be an unfocused/slack air mass with temps in low 20s at best.

mike65 wrote: »
    Heatwave cancelled I think, looking at the wetterzentrale GSF it looks like the southern plume of hot air isn't going to happen, rather its going to be an unfocused/slack air mass with temps in low 20s at best.

i wouldn't rely on the gfs as it has been unreliable so far this year. if the ecm, which has been more reliable to date, is on board then we can cancel the heatwave. do met eireann use the ecm agency? i ask because the met eireann forecast is for overcast conditions for much of the country on monday and tuesday with temperature in the low 20s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

i wouldn't rely on the gfs as it has been unreliable so far this year. if the ecm, which has been more reliable to date, is on board then we can cancel the heatwave. do met eireann use the ecm agency? i ask because the met eireann forecast is for overcast conditions for much of the country on monday and tuesday with temperature in the low 20s

I think Met Eireann use HIRLAM but I don't know where you can look at the models.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paulhac

met eireann also use ecmwf models

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

looks like during the coming week, west WONT be best in terms of high temperatures, looks like cloud is going to spoil things, and i doubt the heatwave will reach here, even in the uk , northern areas will be on the leading edge of this really hot stagnant air, the hottest weather will of course be in the greater london area/ southern and central england, with temperatures soring to 32 degrees by wednesday, id imagine central areas of ireland should fair well, 27 , 28 degress, maybe even 29!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

mike65 wrote: »

Low 20s would do me just fine. I much prefer warm to hot. I don't understand people's obsessions with it being 30c rather than 22c. Sure for us Irish 22c is good enough to have BBQ's and little in the way of clothes wearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Thickness values would support 29-30 C in parts of Ireland if there is enough sunshine during the days, especially from about Tuesday to Friday. As some have said, the western fringe will be under more cloud from the distant ocean storm, so there it would be unlikely to get much above 25 C, also the wind might come in as a seabreeze at times. Factor in the sea breeze on the south and east coasts, and you can pretty much figure that any heat wave conditions will be in the central third of the country to the western portions of Dublin, mostly, but I will go out on a limb and say that somewhere (probably like Mullingar) it will hit 31 C during this period. It won't be like that everywhere every day next week, but as you say anything much over 23 C is warm enough. Another question is whether the warm spell or heat wave will really break down later in the week because the models keep pulling back the cooling trend which is the usual sign of a weak signal for end of blocking.

The other sign I would mention is that you've already had one very warm spell and seasons have a way of repeating the details of similar set-ups, in other words, if this were 2008 I would be feeling less optimistic about this set-up producing more than 26 or 27 C.

true. a pattern has set in this summer. still i hope we don't see 31 here- as you and other have said that's far too hot for comfort. it could be the low to the south west could have more of an influence than you predict , resulting in cooler temperatures even in the midlands. i hope that's how it pans out anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Wella

I'm wondering what our chances of thundrstorm activity are next week. If it gets a hot as we expect, would that increase the chance of a thunderstorm? Or does temperature play a smaller role in electrical activity than I think?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looks like most of us wont see much higher than 20 to 23C this week which is still warm, unfortunately there cud be some large showers around. A few lucky spots might nudge 24 or even 25C

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

England and Wales are gonna have an amazing week, unfortuately hte heatwave aint making it past the welsh coast. It will be more unsettled and cooler here in Ireland compared to England, but still warm enough for most. 21C here today.

• Advertisement
Advertisement