Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Positioning on Speed Bumps?

• 26-06-2009 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I recently did my driving test in finglas which I failed. One area where I was marked down was on position on the straight - received 3 grade 2s. The finglas driving test routes have alot of speed bumps of various shapes and sizes.

My question is, where should you position your car on triple speedbumps (large speed bumps split into 3 pieces across the road)? My instructor told me I should stradle the inside hump and if there is an obstruction move out to the middle hump. Should I hold my position on the road and go over the humps instead of weaving in and out to stradle them.

I have reapplied for my test and would really appreciate if anyone can give me a steer on this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭Old Gill

DawnR wrote: »
    I recently did my driving test in finglas which I failed. One area where I was marked down was on position on the straight - received 3 grade 2s. The finglas driving test routes have alot of speed bumps of various shapes and sizes.

My question is, where should you position your car on triple speedbumps (large speed bumps split into 3 pieces across the road)? My instructor told me I should stradle the inside hump and if there is an obstruction move out to the middle hump. Should I hold my position on the road and go over the humps instead of weaving in and out to stradle them.

I have reapplied for my test and would really appreciate if anyone can give me a steer on this.

You shouldnt change course due to them , instead should slow down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Shift down to 2nd gear and stick to that gear until you are over them. Shouldnt be a prob anyway as the area is probably residential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

DawnR wrote: »
    My instructor told me I should stradle the inside hump and if there is an obstruction move out to the middle hump.

I was told the same thing and got 2 grade 2s for doing it... saw him mark me since I have good peripheral vision ;) stopped doing it after that and everything was ok

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭noanoa

I was also told to do this. Have my test next friday. Do you think I should just go over them slowly then? Any help would be great at this stage getting abit worried now.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

noanoa wrote: »
    I was also told to do this. Have my test next friday. Do you think I should just go over them slowly then? Any help would be great at this stage getting abit worried now.
    Thanks.
    Aye. Speed bumps are there to slow you down. If you continue at the same speed, and avoid them, you will be seen as not slowing down for the bumps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

For the purposes of your test, you should not change your road position unless you are avoiding a hazard or making a turn. Bus cushions (so I'm told they're called) do not constitute a "hazard" and should be treated like any other speed bump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

First and foremost the speed bumps are designed to slow traffic down and therefore irrespective of your position but must show that you have observed them and adjusted your speed accordingly. In most cases this means slowing and coming to 2nd gear, depending on the distance between the ramps it might be possible to come back up to 3rd gear and then brake, change down to 2nd again just before you reach the next ramp.

Where there are 3 'cushions' across the road it is OK to adjust your position - provided it is safe to do so. It really depends on the layout of the road and the traffic conditions.

Reasons when you would NOT move to the left ramp would include :
    • cyclist behind
    • pedestrians or children on the footpath by the ramp
    • where the ramp is right up next to the kerb
    • parked cars either just before or just after the ramp
    If you are adjusting your position more towards the left you need to ensure you have done proper observation especially to your left mirror before moving. If you are adjusting your position do it in good time and dont weave in and out sharply - if you cant do it smoothly then maintain normal driving position on the road and go over the ramps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭D Audio Tripper

noanoa wrote: »
    Thanks.

Drive towards them as if they weren't there, in most cases this will result in your right wheel going straight over the middle of the left bump - just slow down to suit the bump, feels silly and no one does this in the real world but do it for your test!!
    Also if your on wide roads and continuing straight, you should be about a door length from the kerb and not over hugging the white line like a lot of people do on wide roads!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭noanoa

In my pre test i was just going over them in 3rd gear slow but not that slow, I would check my mirrors to make sure it was safe to do so and picked the inner bump if no car was there. Thanks for getting back to me will start changing what im doing so...

Advertisement