Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleeping Bag Tied To Outside Of Pack????

Options
  • 26-06-2009 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi,

Am packing a nice new rucksack i got but am a little short on space, Its a 65 + 15 Litre pack. I have my tent in the bottom compartment, Poles strapped to the side, Thermarest inside with Stove etc,

My problem is the TNF Sleeping bag i have packs huge and fills the whole pack when i fit it in.

Should i strap it to the top of the pack or underneath or any ideas to keep it out of the pack???

Any thoughts or comments appreciated,

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

If your going to strap anything to the outside I'd put the tent there, keep your sleeping bag nice and dry!
    You could get a compression sac for the sleeping bag which will help shrink it.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ste2006

Have a Compression Stuff Sack but its still huge, I was going to compress it in the bag, put it in a dry bag and then strap it on,

What you think????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Jesus, how much does your bag weigh?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ste2006

The sleeping bag weighs around 2KG so its plenty heavy enough, Ill work it out but its all packing a little too big for my liking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

I meant how much does your backpack weigh in total with everything in it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

ste2006 wrote: »
    Hi,

Am packing a nice new rucksack i got but am a little short on space, Its a 65 + 15 Litre pack. I have my tent in the bottom compartment, Poles strapped to the side, Thermarest inside with Stove etc,

My problem is the TNF Sleeping bag i have packs huge and fills the whole pack when i fit it in.

Should i strap it to the top of the pack or underneath or any ideas to keep it out of the pack???

Any thoughts or comments appreciated,

Thanks

Just an observation but why have your Thermarest in your pack? its a ground mat and is going to get dirty anyway. Would't that free up some sapce? you can easily bungee or strap it to the outside of your pack

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

put what you like, where you like. just make sure it is kept dry. rucksacks are not waterproof, so everything should be in plastic inside it anyway. ditto with outside. if you put it on the outside, make sure its well lashed down, and does not unbalance the pack. its summer. ask yourself, "do you really need such a huge kip bag?" packing your kit takes trial and error, and a bit of knowledge. put the weight as low and as near your hips as possible. and try pack in such a way that makes getting at what you need wen you need it easy without compramising the dryness of your other stuff.
    i keep my thermarest in my pack. even if you keep it on the outside it should be kept dry and clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

Put what you like, where you like?

Personnally I wouldn't pack randomly I pack in priority of use e.g. my raingear is easily accessible and so is my first aid kit and some sort of food that can be eaten on the go.

My sleeping systems and any other heavy items would be at the bottom of the pack, my warm gear or spare gear wouldn't be priority but would be above the sleeping system just in case it gets cold or God for bid I get injured and get stuck in the one spot.

But it is trial and error and everything should be waterproofed. Try out your own load OP but I would definitely have the essential stuff at hand just in case.

Advertisement