Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BJJ in Jackie Skellys Greystones

• 26-06-2009 2:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

I also posted this on Fitness Forum.
    Just thought I would post my experience dealing with these cowboys. In March after leaving some business cards with several gyms in the area to attract more members to a martial arts club I run, I got a phone call to enquire whether or not I would be interested in teaching classes at Jackie Skellys in Greystones, I teach Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. It turned out the manager was the brother of someone I went to school with so putting aside all that I had heard about membership problems, I agreed to teach an 10 week intro to BJJ for 75 euro per hour. Thats 15 euro less than my hourly rate and instead of an hour which is pretty short for a BJJ class, I taught from 8pm - 930pm every Thursday. I have been looking for payment for the last 4 weeks, and today after threatening to picket their premises and to take what I am owed in stock from their reception I received a cheque for 442 euro and 51 cent for the 10 weeks, "what they pay their instructors" Needless to say I would encourage anyone thinking of joining a gym in the Greystones area to go to Shoreline or the Glenview, cleaner, better run gyms. I pray that the recession takes care of these clowns. Good people are losing their jobs its about time these cowboys did.

They also had the nerve to make out to members that I was the one not turning up last night when I went once again to look for payment. I have offered all those who took the course a month training at NG.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

did you get anything in writing dave?

might I suggest you take a younf niece or nephew in fro a swim... do a dump in the pool and blame it on the afore mentioned relative.. that oughta cost them a few quid :)

paddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭bilbo79

worked there and they where always up to this sort of thing, be warned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭David Jones

did you get anything in writing dave?

No Paddy, like I say it was the brother of a school friend etc etc, he of course left 4 weeks after I started not uncommon in the leisure industry. I just keep my fingers crossed they go under, because I will be first through the door to point the finger and laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Dirty gits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Have you any recourse with them over the amount that is still outstanding?

I know where you are coming from and JS know this too - you are owed money but have you the time to devote to chasing it whilst running your classes.

It's a terrible approach, if people were upfront and honest with each other in business even if there are issues, things would never get ugly.

Dave - success is the best form of revenge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

I just saw you got nothing in writing.

Advertisement