Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ford Kuga Vs Volvo S40...

• 26-06-2009 3:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Edit: Title should read 'Ford Kuga Vs Volvo S40'....

Hi,

Will be picking up a new diesel car on the next few weeks and am currently torn between a 2008 Ford Kuga and a 2007/2008 Volvo S40.

Both options are diesel and it will cover 25 - 30k miles per year (on Kerry roads!) Similar in price.

Found a few reviews on both and it seems to be a matter of personal choice.
    Which would you prefer? Have you experience of driving either? Is there anything else you would recommend?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Kerry roads - Kuga no question!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

Yep - was thinking that would be one definate bonus for sure around here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

S40 is a nice motor, but for banging around the kerry roads .. I would take the Kuga...
    S40 more suited to motorway and good road driving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Isn't the S40 a Focus underneath? For driving on poor roads, i'd be looking at something French. I think absorbent suspension is the key here, rather than a mini-SUV. The higher up you are, the more you get thrown from side to side when one wheel hits a dip/pothole. How about a Peugeot 407/Citroen C5?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

Parents have a Peugeot 407 estate - lovely looking car, leather, panoramic roof etc but go through tyres at an extortionate rate and have had it back to the garage so so so many times with onboard computer / electrical sensor problems. Once bitten...

Hadnt thought of the Citreons at all really, might be worth a look, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Anan1 wrote: »
    Isn't the S40 a Focus underneath?

So is the Kuga.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

VolvoMan wrote: »
    So is the Kuga.;)
    I meant that the S40 might better be compared to a Focus rather than a Focus on stilts.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I had a Focus and traded it for a S40 on which both share the same platform but both do not drive the same. The S40 is a comfortable car and civilised handling but it doesn't handle quite as well as the Focus especially in the bends. But in the S40's defence it is designed more for comfort than sportiness and still a nice car to drive and own.

OP, on Kerry roads I would not recommend the S40 as most come with 17" alloy wheels which wouldn't last very long on those roads.

In this instance I would go with the Kuga

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Kuga I'd say, try and steer clear of the insipid blue metallic interior I nearly vomited on in the Ford garage a few months ago

Advertisement