Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New model laguna diesel?

• 26-06-2009 3:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭

Anyone on here running one of the 1.5 diesel lagunas III's ?

The brother told me today he's thinking about going for one of these and was asking my opinion.
    I've never sat in one and to be honest I don't know much about them but do know that renault was very keen to kill off the image the last model had and invested heavily in quality on the new one.
    Has this paid off? Would you stump up your own cash for one?

The brother is not really into cars, just wants a decent sized safe car for expanding family, soon to be 2 kids. He's willing to sacrifice top speed for economy.

I told him to also look at diesel mondeo and octavia, but he thinks he'd get a better deal on a laguna. He's looking at year old cars and would be keeping it for a long time, no trade in and hoping to spend about 17-18K tops.

Your thoughts much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

I think he could do a lot worse. A 1 year old car will have a 2 year warranty and the quality is a big improvement on the previous Laguna. 1.5DCi is a fine engine, and in Privilage spec he would want for little. They are good value.

My only concern would be the size of the boot for a family, it's not huge. The same money would get his a 2008 Tourer which for a growing family would be a far better bet.

You'll get the usual renault bashers telling him to buy a Mondeo, but the Laguna is a good car, I can't imagine him being disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭BrianD3

No worries when it comes to reliability and has a better warranty than most European cars, 1.5 engine is well proven at this stage etc. I don't know about year old cars but on several occasions this year I've been offered brand new ones for discounts of 7-9k off new list price. So he is probably right in thinking that he'll get one cheap - should get a year old one with good spec. for less than his budget.

As Stevie Dakota says the hatchback is a bit smaller and also lighter than many in this class. Good from the point of view of economy and compactness but bad if you need a huge boot and interior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I have a 09 one outside, and it is awful! Horrible to drive, the 1.5DCi engine has very little poke in it around 5+6 gears for overtaking, horrible plastic interior. Handles like a pig after a bottle of vodka, build quality isnt great either.

If he wants a french car, tell him to buy a Citroen C5.
    If he wants a good car, get a Mondeo/Insignia/Passat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

I have a 09 one outside, and it is awful! Horrible to drive, the 1.5DCi engine has very little poke in it around 5+6 gears for overtaking, horrible plastic interior. Handles like a pig after a bottle of vodka, build quality isnt great either.

Having driven a few a can't agree with the above. 1.5 is not bad for its capacity, no rocket but fine for normal driving. I liked the interior, felt more upmarket (in Privilage spec) than most of the competition. Handling was fine for a family car and everything felt pretty solid in terms of build quality.

Having driven a few a can't agree with the above. 1.5 is not bad for its capacity, no rocket but fine for normal driving. I liked the interior, felt more upmarket (in Privilage spec) than most of the competition. Handling was fine for a family car and everything felt pretty solid in terms of build quality.

We'll agree to disagree then! My opinion seems to be the general consensue in here. All of us have driven it at some stage, and nobdy liked it. We were trying to think of nice things to say about it!

I think the fact the Renault Ireland are Haemorrhaging these yokes, speaks for itself. Not a great car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I have a 09 one outside

Looks like Renault are pushing them then - we've got one too but it's out with someone for the weekend. I drove one last year and thought the engine was by far the best bit (hate the cabin layout) but I sat in to this one yesterday and the seats were surprisingly firm for a Renault.

Can't comment on reliability of the new model as we don't have a single new model on fleet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭caze

Thanks for the comments guys,
    Think the point about maybe looking at an estate version of any car is a very valid point, I still think it's strange that you dont see more on the roads here compared to the UK.

The 2 years warranty left appeals also. He is leaning towards the laguna but hasn't gone to look at one yet, think its the fact they appear good value on carzone. I'll mention the C5 and try and get him to look at a few differant cars in that class, our brother in law has a new mondeo and is always raving about it.

His wife wants to go looking at those nissan quashqi things, they seem to be going for mad money though and dont appear all that spacious.

I'll show this thread to him anyhow, he's on holidays next week and is going to look at some cars.

R.O.R wrote: »
    Looks like Renault are pushing them then - we've got one too but it's out with someone for the weekend. I drove one last year and thought the engine was by far the best bit (hate the cabin layout) but I sat in to this one yesterday and the seats were surprisingly firm for a Renault.

Can't comment on reliability of the new model as we don't have a single new model on fleet.

Aye, we have ONE Megane out this year. Thats it. There does seem to be a big push on them by Renault, but from our point of view, the residual and maintenance kill it. Saying that, we havent been asked for one either.

Advertisement