Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair cuts for 2010 budget??

Options
  • 26-06-2009 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭

There is a lot of talk recently about cutting the social welfare payments and public service wages.

I think as social welfare recipients were untouched in the last budget and considering that general prices have dropped in the last year or so. Then a 5% cut would not be unreasonable on all social welfare payments.

For people still living in the family home and getting the full €204.80 per week, cut that significantly.

For the public service, I would say cut income or change the pension levy so that anyone earning €20,000 to €30,000 reduce by 2%, anyone earning in the €30's by 3%, €40's by 4%, €50's by 5% and on up the payscale - By the time you get to the big boys of the public service and the governemt leaders on €250,000 they'd be hit with a 25% reduction.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

With those proposed cuts, I'd guess you're not in the Public Service. There'd be war, I tell you. War!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

With those proposed cuts, I'd guess you're not in the Public Service. There'd be war, I tell you. War!

Good, war usually means you get rid of people and thus cut costs ;)

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

Performance related employment in the public sector, if you are not performing, you get laid off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

solice wrote: »
    Performance related employment in the public sector, if you are not performing, you get laid off!

Correct, the job-for-life mentality is a joke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

td wage decrease to normal wages

expenses purely on a need basis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Dole cuts for those at home stronger means testing, if they haven't lifted a finger then hit them hard. If they've proved they've tried getting work, then leave them be.

PUBLIC SECTOR REFORM!

It should not be a job for life. Why is it??

& TD's wages & Expenses need to be exposed and picked apart.

Cut back taxes on goods and services to encourage spending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

funkyflea wrote: »
    It isn't.
    On foreign goods?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Dole cuts for those at home stronger means testing, if they haven't lifted a finger then hit them hard. If they've proved they've tried getting work, then leave them be.

PUBLIC SECTOR REFORM!

& TD's wages & Expenses need to be exposed and picked apart.

The public sector reform is happening as we speak. People are retiring from the public sector in their droves without being replaced and other are being re-deployed to social welfare without being replaced. Many on contract work are not having their contracts renewed and there is simply no opportunity for promotion for anyone. An Bord Snip Nua will be reporting shortly also.
    As a civil servant I welcome the reforms, but any further increase in the pension levy will be an unfair burden on one sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Hillel

It isn't.

@NewDubliner Still peddling the same old line, I see. I thought we had thoroughly debunked that position, many weeks ago.

@funkyflea. You are right, it is simply intolerable that public servants, regardless of their competence, performance or contribution, have "de facto" jobs for life.
    Just one of the many areas to be addressed, if the country is to recover from the current mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

EF wrote: »
    The public sector reform is happening as we speak. People are retiring from the public sector in their droves without being replaced and other are being re-deployed to social welfare without being replaced. Many on contract work are not having their contracts renewed and there is simply no opportunity for promotion for anyone. An Bord Snip Nua will be reporting shortly also.
    As a civil servant I welcome the reforms, but any further increase in the pension levy will be an unfair burden on one sector.

public sector workers are still paid at least 30% more than thier counterparts in the private sector , the gap is especially wide at the lower paid levels , besides , public sector wages need to be brought into line with those of other european countries , countries which are wealthier than ireland i might add , thier is a long long way to go yet in redressing the imbalance in public sector pay in this country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Define normal wages? If I were a barrister it could be anywhere up to €1m in reality, if I were a street sweeper it'd be closer to €30/€35k.
    expenses purely on a need basis

I know if I was to be working in Dublin 3 days a week I'd get mileage, accommodation and 3 square meals covered by my cost centre and also the last 2 private companies I've worked for. What TDs and Senators have is subsidised food, not covered. It's just an expense that seems above average as most of us aren't based away from home 2 to 3 nights a week for the majority of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

What a terrible idea.

Hillel wrote: »
    @NewDubliner Still peddling the same old line, I see. I thought we had thoroughly debunked that position, many weeks ago.
    The term 'job-for-life' itself is meaningless. But it plays well to the gallery. 'job security' might be more accurate, but as the government can change terms and conditions of employment at any time, such as with the pension levy and the raid on the pension fund, nothing can be regarded as secure.
    ef wrote:
    The public sector reform is happening as we speak.
    That's not reform, no more than 'decentralisation' was. It's merely a random shake-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

The term 'job-for-life' itself is meaningless. But it plays well to the gallery. 'job security' might be more accurate, but as the government can change terms and conditions of employment at any time, such as with the pension levy and the raid on the pension fund, nothing can be regarded as secure.

I had always regarded it as such, as in when times were good, regardless of someones performance, there was no way of firing them. Thats not the same in private companies where someones performance is monitored. I supposee with the way things have changed recently, it would be no harm introducing performance reviews...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

"fair" is as subjective as it gets.

My idea of "fair" is cutting all child benefit and single parent supplements for all new applicants. Yes, I am aware that I am a Nazi for wanting to people to have some responsibility when planning a family.

Bring social welfare back to 95 levels adjusted for inflation, of course. Im sorry that those who are unemployed (like yours truly) and who are on the dole (unlike myself) wont be able to go out on the weekend.

Reduce the minimum wage as the economy deflates. And start taxing everyone. Sick of being on minimum wage and now some people want to tax you? Well how about going to college. Its free.

Sell the busses. Sell other state agencies that would work better in the private sector. That will help with the shortfall while increasing efficiency.

And deal with the public sector. Rationalisation. And Labours laying off 1000 people is not rationalisation. Its simply an example of why Labour are the last thing this country needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

turgon wrote: »
    "fair" is as subjective as it gets.

My idea of "fair" is cutting all child benefit and single parent supplements for all new applicants. Yes, I am aware that I am a Nazi for wanting to people to have some responsibility when planning a family.

Bring social welfare back to 95 levels adjusted for inflation, of course. Im sorry that those who are unemployed (like yours truly) and who are on the dole (unlike myself) wont be able to go out on the weekend.

Reduce the minimum wage as the economy deflates. And start taxing everyone. Sick of being on minimum wage and now some people want to tax you? Well how about going to college. Its free.

Sell the busses. Sell other state agencies that would work better in the private sector. That will help with the shortfall while increasing efficiency.

And deal with the public sector. Rationalisation. And Labours laying off 1000 people is not rationalisation. Its simply an example of why Labour are the last thing this country needs.

spot on , we need more people thinking with their head instead of thier heart in this country

You're full of rhetoric on this.

I suppose the buses will run with less losses if they're allowed to cut loss-making routes. And if we privitised the roads, we could shift costs onto long-distance commuters. This would then favour people who worked near where they lived and protect local employment.

Selling off ESB, Water boards and Bord Gais at present would leave us with more 'Eircom' type private sector near-monopolies but at fire-sale prices. We could privitise some quangos like the 'Combat Poverty Agency'? But regulators need to be in public control. The privitisation of RegTel (premium rate regulator) has not been a happy one for consumers.
    And deal with the public sector. Rationalisation. And Labours laying off 1000 people is not rationalisation.
    Anything specific? What services should be cut?

I suppose the buses will run with less losses if they're allowed to cut loss-making routes.

And why should they? Should "society" be forced to pay for those who live in the back of beyonds and do not have private transport and who refuse to use a taxi?
    And if we privitised the roads, we could shift costs onto long-distance commuters. This would then favour people who worked near where they lived and protect local employment.

It might. But I dont believe in privatising all roads. I dont believe in privatising "networks" such as train lines, telephone cables and electricity cables etc. However I do believe that the company's that use these networks, ie train, phone and electricity distribution companies should not be in government control.

I believe people in estates should privately own the roads in said estate.
    Selling off ESB, Water boards and Bord Gais at present would leave us with more 'Eircom' type private sector near-monopolies but at fire-sale prices.

Well as i have said, I dont believe that gas networks/water pipes should be sold off. However the suppliers might be. So a gas company would "rent" pipe usage as it were. A complex rent usage payment scheme could involve a rate of a certain amount of gas per metre. The distance traveled would be worked out and a price gotten.

Because fundamentally, I dont believe adequate competition can exist in gas pipes. Thus they should be run by a state entity that charges just enough to facilitate proper management.
    But regulators need to be in public control.

True.
    Anything specific? What services should be cut?

Well I suppose a lot of my beliefs in this area would be shaped by what I see as the role of the state. So a lot of the "quangos" that mainly do things such as information promotion would be removed. I think said information should be incorporated into education, information such as drugs awareness. But that only stems from the fact that I believe individuals should have maximum responsibility, and shouldnt have to be "babysat" by the "nanny state".

Its pretty apparent that the HSE needs major rationalisation in the admin area. Removal of duplicate posts etc. I think that FG's faircare program is pretty good. So the state becomes the purchaser of health services rather than the provider. In this set-up hospitals would have to be run efficiently as it would be in owners financial interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

That's not reform, no more than 'decentralisation' was. It's merely a random shake-up.

I beg to differ! There is no prospect of promotion. Staff are being lost and not replaced. Agreed pay increases are not going to happen. There is an exodus of some highly qualified civil servants from my own experience taking advantage of the opportunities that are out there in the private sector or taking early retirement. Anyone who thinks it's a cushy number in the civil service with lots of benefits is living in the past. and the small issue of the pension levy on top of the income and health levy.

And why should they? Should "society" be forced to pay for those who live in the back of beyonds and do not have private transport and who refuse to use a taxi?
    Agreed. If we concentrated populations in cities, we'd achieve economies of scale and labour mobility would be facilitated.
    It might. But I dont believe in privatising all roads.
    How do we ensure that the roads are used for the greatest economic benefit? Surely, it's best to link the cost of a service to those who use it?
    In this set-up hospitals would have to be run efficiently as it would be in owners financial interest.
    How would we ensure that the costs would be reasonable while ensuring no corners are cut?

• Advertisement

How do we ensure that the roads are used for the greatest economic benefit?

How do you mean?
    Surely, it's best to link the cost of a service to those who use it?

Absolutely. In fact one of the advantages I see in privatisation is that individuals pay for services as they need them themselves. My overall roads "strategy" would be this:

Set up a body (or use a current one) to fully administer the roads. This bodies funding would be solely composed of a) excise duty on road fuel and b) tolls on main motorways, which would be based on km traveled like in France. Thus if a road user travels a longer distance they require more petrol and pay more excise duty.

This body would then use this funding gained to maintain roads and (I suppose) build new roads. They could not gain any funding from the government, except on a capital spending basis, nor could they give any excess money to the government. So the price of fuel and tolls would be in some ways tied to the cost of maintenance.

Advantages: Those who dont use road vehicles dont have to pay for those who do. Also, if the government wants to hike other spending such as social welfare they cant raise the price of petrol to accommodate this. So when you buy petrol you buy road kilometres, not job seekers allowance.
    How would we ensure that the costs would be reasonable while ensuring no corners are cut?

Regulation by the current HSE would obviously continue. But fundamentally the money would follow the patient. So, theoretically, it would not be in the interest of the owner to cut corners and reduce standards.

How do you mean?
    How do we make sure that productive traffic, e.g. goods going for export, essential materials, are not obstructed by traffic congestion caused by commuters, single occupant cars or people just driving around for fun? (While keeping the roads clear for high-spending foreign tourists, of course.)
    Set up a body (or use a current one) to fully administer the roads. This bodies funding would be solely composed of a) excise duty on road fuel and b) tolls on main motorways
    Why not toll ALL roads?
    So the price of fuel and tolls would be in some ways tied to the cost of maintenance.
    And the fat bonuses for the operator's executives?
    But fundamentally the money would follow the patient. So, theoretically, it would not be in the interest of the owner to cut corners and reduce standards.
    So, keep patients alive longer & subject them to lots of medical tests/procedures to keep the income stream?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Cut county counsil funds, most times i see CC workers all they are doing is tidying up flower beds, i couldn't give a fuck about flowers

How do we make sure that productive traffic, e.g. goods going for export, essential materials, are not obstructed by traffic congestion caused by commuters, single occupant cars or people just driving around for fun?

In general one would have a road plan the seeks to alleviate congested areas first, with priority possibly given to areas of high economic activity an transport centres such as harbours and airports.
    Why not toll ALL roads?

Firstly because its not practical, tolling works best on dual carriageways. Secondly though motorways require a high degree of maintenance.
    And the fat bonuses for the operator's executives?

Thats true. However I would see the body tendering contract out to companies, who would then offer maintenance services for a period of time at a good price.

Do you have a better solution that would avoid this pitfall?
    So, keep patients alive longer & subject them to lots of medical tests/procedures to keep the income stream?

Erm, no. Theres only so much insurance companies will pay for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

Mary Hanafin should put in a request for staff to transfer from quieter departments into hers and increase the number of social welfare inspectors. Increase the penalties for social welfare fraud also.

Think about all the people working the black economy and signing?
    What about all the lone parent claimants who are cohabiting?
    Why are young men and women in their twenties and living at home getting €204.30 drinking money every week?
    Families bringing in over €100,000 a year and still getting child benefit.

Firstly because its not practical, tolling works best on dual carriageways. Secondly though motorways require a high degree of maintenance.
    The London congestion charge operates on non dual-carriageways. And, using satellite-tracking technology would greatly faciliatate pay-per-use charging. We could become world leaders in the application of this technology. We could also abolish free on-street parking, which simply wastes road space & slows everyone down. The roads are a valuable public asset, being used very inefficiently at present. Selling them off to the private sector who would manage them more effectively may well be the key to improving our competiveness.
    Erm, no. Theres only so much insurance companies will pay for.
    So, what happens to patients who become economically unviable?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,699 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The London congestion charge operates on non dual-carriageways. And, using satellite-tracking technology would greatly faciliatate pay-per-use charging. We could become world leaders in the application of this technology. We could also abolish free on-street parking, which simply wastes road space & slows everyone down. The roads are a valuable public asset, being used very inefficiently at present. Selling them off to the private sector who would manage them more effectively may well be the key to improving our competiveness.

You have seen the god awful mess that has been the no barrier toll system on the M50?

The technology is at least 10 years out to be reliable enough to use, it needs to be 6 sigma, i.e. 99.9997% correct, rather than the current 99.8% which is generating a huge backlog of cases.

So, what happens to patients who become economically unviable?

I wasnt talking about "economically unviable" patients. You said that hospitals might purposely keep patients for longer to rake in more money; I said that insurance companies would not pay for such blatant money grabbing techniques.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

ninty9er wrote: »
    Define normal wages? If I were a barrister it could be anywhere up to €1m in reality, if I were a street sweeper it'd be closer to €30/€35k.

Is a street sweeper really on that much for cleaning the streets, you serious?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

Anybody who still lives in the family home and gets the full job seekers allowance recieves it because they have the necessary contributions. If they didnt they would be means tested and recieve very little. If these young people didnt live at home they would be entitled to rent allowance and possibly other benefits.

While I dont totally agree that unemployed young people should be getting €200 drinking money per week, but I dont agree either that the family should be made to support them. Further to that by, living at home the welfare system is in effect saved the burden of lining some landlords pocket while these young people live it up in their own party pad.

Providing a bus service to remote parts of the country is a social responsibilty. If the service was privatised, those private companies would only take on the profitable routes and the government would be forced to either run there own services in these remote areas or to heavily subsidise private operators to run them.

As for criticising people for living in remote areas, just repeat that statement out loud to yourself and you might just realise how ridiculous it sounds

Advertisement