Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Questions from a semi-Luddite newbie.

• 26-06-2009 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

To date I’ve managed with my old Nikon F65 slr with AF Nikor lenses (70-300 and 28-80), sometimes using the manual mode for settings. When Digital is needed I use an old Sony 3.2 cybershot. 1.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]I now want to buy a DSLR, and am considering a Nikon D 60 or better. I’m not interested in video capability, image stabilization, etc., I just need a good basic dslr.
    Question: Will my existing lenses work with the D series? I’m getting contradictory advice from vendors. Also, is the D60 worth the difference on the D40?

2.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]I have a few thousand B&W and colour negatives, most of which I need to look at and some of which I will want to scan and store. My Dell 948 does not have a negative scanning attachment. For space reasons ones like the Veho or Zennox seem OK. Any better suggestions?
    Thanks,
    D.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Derryquin wrote: »
    To date I’ve managed with my old Nikon F65 slr with AF Nikor lenses (70-300 and 28-80), sometimes using the manual mode for settings. When Digital is needed I use an old Sony 3.2 cybershot. 1.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]I now want to buy a DSLR, and am considering a Nikon D 60 or better. I’m not interested in video capability, image stabilization, etc., I just need a good basic dslr.
    Question: Will my existing lenses work with the D series? I’m getting contradictory advice from vendors. Also, is the D60 worth the difference on the D40?

2.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]I have a few thousand B&W and colour negatives, most of which I need to look at and some of which I will want to scan and store. My Dell 948 does not have a negative scanning attachment. For space reasons ones like the Veho or Zennox seem OK. Any better suggestions?
    Thanks,
    D.

I'm presuming neither of those lenses is an AFS lens so no, they'll meter but won't AF with the D40 D60 or D5000. Plus they will (because of the crop factor) be the equivalent of 105->450 and 42->120. They'll work fine with any of the more advanced bodies though, both metering and AF.

With regard to your scanning needs, neither Veho or Zennox are familiar to me. If they're those little stand up jobs costing around the €100 mark I'd steer clear though. I'd say the image quality is crap. Advice on this forum provided you don't want to spend a lot generally is to get an Epson or canonscan flatbed that does film scanning. Alternatives are pricey and hard to come by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Derryquin

I'm presuming neither of those lenses is an AFS lens so no, they'll meter but won't AF with the D40 D60 or D5000. Plus they will (because of the crop factor) be the equivalent of 105->450 and 42->120. They'll work fine with any of the more advanced bodies though, both metering and AF.

With regard to your scanning needs, neither Veho or Zennox are familiar to me. If they're those little stand up jobs costing around the €100 mark I'd steer clear though. I'd say the image quality is crap. Advice on this forum provided you don't want to spend a lot generally is to get an Epson or canonscan flatbed that does film scanning. Alternatives are pricey and hard to come by.

Thanks Daire.
    Manual focussing would not be a problem, if I can see object/s TTL. Is there any degradation in picture quality? I guess I will have to go down the replace all road.....rather than buy an expensive body.
    Anyone else any contributions?
    Thanks
    D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 matood

Sometimes is better buy expansive body, you can use cheaper and older lenses without built-in motor. Then the question is what is cheaper...buying cheaper body without motor, they are good but if you want AF with your older lenses...What you prefer?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

You could look for a used D70, D50 or D200 Body, which would work quite well with the lenses you have.

Advertisement