Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom door-to-door selling

Options
  • 26-06-2009 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

An eircom rep called to my door last night. He had a list of non-eircom customers in the locality and was trying to persuade them to switch over.

I wrote to eircom 4 years ago and told them that I did not want them cold calling but they have ignored the letter. Is there any way of stopping these pests from coming around? I tried Com Reg but they were (as ever) as useful as tits on a bull!

eircom is obviously abusing its position as sole network owner to supply its retail arm with the names of people who use other telcos: if BT or Perlico etc. wanted a list of eircom customers in order to sell to them would they get it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

BT or Perlico have a list of customers that aren't BT or Perlico, it's called the Phone Book (or electoral register). They will obviously not call to houses that they already provide services too.

You can close the door on them, works pretty well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 slx

If you are very annoyed at their behaviour you can contact Comreg about it.

www.comreg.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Get rid of your doorbell. I have none and will never EVER get one again. No need in this day & age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I've never had a doorbell...it doesn't stop them knocking :pac:

Since I moved to BT 6 yrs back for their (then) highly competitive DSL package,an Eircom rep has been calling to my door like clockwork every 2 months asking if I'd consider switching back....at first the two products were so different in price I simply argued that it would never be worth my while...but as the gap lessned (in the last year or so) that excuse simply doesn't wash. The last time he called, I ended up nearly telling the man to f**k off...not really fair, he's only doing his job...but he hasn't called since.
    If and when I do go back to eircom it'll be of my own volition.

The conspiracy theorist in me often wondered if my speed/de-synching issues with BT were down to eircom fiddling in the local exchange. My two neighbours have eircom accounts and report none of my problems.

BTW they also used to phone me regularly asking me to come back. I eventually got a stop put to that.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I thought that they are allowed to contact you once and that was it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Wertz wrote: »
    I've never had a doorbell...it doesn't stop them knocking :pac:

Since I moved to BT 6 yrs back for their (then) highly competitive DSL package,an Eircom rep has been calling to my door like clockwork every 2 months asking if I'd consider switching back....at first the two products were so different in price I simply argued that it would never be worth my while...but as the gap lessned (in the last year or so) that excuse simply doesn't wash. The last time he called, I ended up nearly telling the man to f**k off...not really fair, he's only doing his job...but he hasn't called since.
    If and when I do go back to eircom it'll be of my own volition.

The conspiracy theorist in me often wondered if my speed/de-synching issues with BT were down to eircom fiddling in the local exchange. My two neighbours have eircom accounts and report none of my problems.

BTW they also used to phone me regularly asking me to come back. I eventually got a stop put to that.

The conspiracy theorist in me often wondered if my speed/de-synching issues with BT were down to eircom fiddling in the local exchange
    Funny you should say that. I have had line/broadband problems (now cured)for some time: now I learn that my next-door neighbour who is also a BT customer has line problems too. His neighbour on the other side
    who is an eircom customer has none!

ComReg told me "ComReg are not in a position to insist that Eircom stop their agents door to door calling". Not surprising that they are often called EirComReg :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Essexboy wrote: »
    The conspiracy theorist in me often wondered if my speed/de-synching issues with BT were down to eircom fiddling in the local exchange
    Funny you should say that. I have had line/broadband problems (now cured)for some time: now I learn that my next-door neighbour who is also a BT customer has line problems too. His neighbour on the other side
    who is an eircom customer has none!

ComReg told me "ComReg are not in a position to insist that Eircom stop their agents door to door calling". Not surprising that they are often called EirComReg :mad:

The agents that come to the door generally are not actually for Eircom but on behalf of Eircom. As these guys are working for an agency I doubt Eircom have passed on the message to tell these guys not to knock on your door. If their system even shows a do not knock on door on their system I would be very surprised.

But I don't understand why its just Eircom who annoy you fook these days not an evening goes by we dont get someone trying to sell something at your door. A few options for you:

- Look out the window before answering dont recognise the person dont answer.

- Just dont answer

- Answer and tell them to get on their merry way

Takes less than a minute to tell some to go away or not answer the door. Takes more than a minute for you to write and complain about it. Once a year for less than a minute you might see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

A cold bucket of water works for me every time when they won’t get away from my front door. Funny they haven’t called around in a while :)

The agents that come to the door generally are not actually for Eircom but on behalf of Eircom. As these guys are working for an agency I doubt Eircom have passed on the message to tell these guys not to knock on your door. If their system even shows a do not knock on door on their system I would be very surprised.

But I don't understand why its just Eircom who annoy you fook these days not an evening goes by we dont get someone trying to sell something at your door. A few options for you:

- Look out the window before answering dont recognise the person dont answer.

- Just dont answer

- Answer and tell them to get on their merry way

Takes less than a minute to tell some to go away or not answer the door. Takes more than a minute for you to write and complain about it. Once a year for less than a minute you might see them.

No this guy was an eircom employee, he had an eircom van and eircom papers. It is with the Data Protection Commissioner now.

I am annoyed with myself for not dealing better with him - the little dog was in attack mode - but I was just back from a long trip and felt knackered when he called.

I live in the country so have not seen any cold callers for a long time: last ones were the East Europeans sellling sketches of the Pope etc. That makes thing worse: I would expect these buggers if I still lived in a town but out in the sticks I expected to be left alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

I was helping my sister move house yesterday and there were several people moving in to the road at the same time, as the houses are now "available", as they were off the plans.

I kid you not; There was two of them, clipboards in hand, calling door to door harranging people as they carried boxes from cars and moving vans. Absolute parasites. Needless to say they received a few less-than-receptive responses from the sweaty exerted new dwellers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I presume that he was from winback - part of Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭strongbluebell

Had someone from an alarm company at my door a while ago.
    He headed straight into his smiley salestalk. I politely interrupted him and told him I wasn't interested, he swung on his heel, smiles all gone and snapped at me "neither am I"
    Bucket of water for him if he appears again!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Has no-one advised to just tell them to f*ck off yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Essexboy wrote: »
    No this guy was an eircom employee, he had an eircom van and eircom papers. It is with the Data Protection Commissioner now.

Yup they work for agencies. Eircom outsource alot of their jobs to an agency. I interviewed with them last year. Their Sales team are run by an agency and not by Eircom themselves. Even though they carry Eircom badges. If I had gotton the job with them I would have been on contract with the agency but driving an Eircom Van and carrying an Eircom Id card and stationed in their HQ. But I will agree with you they can be annoying tis why I took a job elsewhere. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

Feet on the street (door-to-door salespeople) are scum.

I got a call while I was in tech support from an old woman who told me "Someone called to my door. I ended up signing something, gave them my account information but don't know what I've ordered."

If I want to buy anything, I'll bloody well do it at my own leisure without being pushed into it.

All - Don't forget if you're ever forced into signing up to something at your door there's a Cooling Off period of a few days where you can cancel at no charge - this is a legal requirement.

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

most door to door sales people get you to waive this cooling off period for immediate delivery of whatever shoite they are peddling, they have to be very good at what they do as most of them are commission only or get very little without commission.

Problem is with the Data Protection Commisioner who seems ready to act against eircom at present. let's see how that works out.

Advertisement