Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance and Engine Changes

• 26-06-2009 4:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭

I have a 1.5L Toyota Sera that I'm currently transplanting a 1.3L GT Turbo engine into. Just wondering if insurance companies will run a mile when I ring them up because 'it's not in the system' or are any of them better than the other about this sort of thing?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

you might find the word turbo causes all the damage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Ah I'm old and 'responsible' now so it shouldn't be too bad hopefully :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Save yourself the hassle and get an engineers report done as soon as the transplant is complete. Any insurer will request this when you tell them the engine is changed.

ronanc15 wrote: »
    Save yourself the hassle and get an engineers report done as soon as the transplant is complete. Any insurer will request this when you tell them the engine is changed.

Is it sufficient to have a stamped letter from the garage who are doing it or is it a seperate thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

zuutroy wrote: »
    I have a 1.5L Toyota Sera that I'm currently transplanting a 1.3L GT Turbo engine into. Just wondering if insurance companies will run a mile when I ring them up because 'it's not in the system' or are any of them better than the other about this sort of thing?

Be prepared for the insurance company to rate it on the Glanza Turbo - which carries a huge load.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭ji

You have a rare car why ruin it by fitting a different engine in it?????

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Ah I'm old and 'responsible' now so it shouldn't be too bad hopefully :P
    so am i but when i got myself one of thoes renualt twingo turbos last year the first question axa askes was:- is the word turbo used in the model discription of the car (lucky for me it is a gt tce) there would have been a large loading for the t word and i am nearly half a century old!!

Barr wrote: »
    Be prepared for the insurance company to rate it on the Glanza Turbo - which carries a huge load.

Well I'm 30 and driving a 728 so it can't get too much worse...My quote for a GT Starlet is about 500 quid which I'm happy enough with.
    ji wrote: »
    You have a rare car why ruin it by fitting a different engine in it?????

1. Because it's quite slow with the stock 1.5.
    2. Because I'm sick of the auto box.
    3. Because I like to mess with things and the end product will be even more rare!

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Well I'm 30 and driving a 728 so it can't get too much worse...My quote for a GT Starlet is about 500 quid which I'm happy enough with.

Wow that cheap for one of them - most insurance companies wouldn't touch them . Which insurance company if you dont mind me asking ?

Actually can get it for 450 on 123.ie incl my gf who only has provisional.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭ji

1. Because it's quite slow with the stock 1.5.
    2. Because I'm sick of the auto box.
    3. Because I like to mess with things and the end product will be even more rare!

:)[/quote]

As good a reason as any:D good luck with the build:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

Friend done this years ago to a lanncer glx 1.3, put a 1.5 engine into it and his insurance went up about 15%. Everything done by the book,,, tax book change, engineers report etc..

Advertisement