Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour burning rubbish in garden

Options
  • 26-06-2009 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

How would one go about reporting this? A neighbour of mine burns rubbish on a regular basis, including plastics at times. Going to talk to him is not an option as he's a bit of a nutcase - he spits on the ground any time he passes a member of my family on the street although we have absolutely zero contact with him!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

report them to your local council would be the first thing I'd do.

bet they dont pay for a bin either - you know this kinda thing baffles me - bags full of rubbish litter our local laneways - council come to clean them up and take them away - all at our expense!!

- councils should carry out random checks on houses to see firstly if they are paying for bin collections and if not they should be asked to prove how they manage their waste - and these people put on some sort of "suspicious" list. I couldn't do without my bins so how others do legally is a constant wonder to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭enry

simu wrote: »
    How would one go about reporting this? A neighbour of mine burns rubbish on a regular basis, including plastics at times. Going to talk to him is not an option as he's a bit of a nutcase - he spits on the ground any time he passes a member of my family on the street although we have absolutely zero contact with him!

Thanks!

Maybe you should be nice to you neighbor be more understanding. He probably only spits when you and your family pass him because he knows you think he’s a nutcase. This Absolutely Zero Contact policy of yours is probably upsetting him to such an extent that he fells the need to go out and put fire to plastic.

Before contacting your local County Council, you should perhaps contemplate dropping into him for a cup of tea and discussing you environmental c:Dncerns.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Phone the council on 021 4966222 and ask them what department you should be talking to; their customer service is generally very good. If it needs to be reported to the Gardai they'll at least tell you what law the neighbour is breaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭SouthKerry

I presume you live in the countryside op? So i dont see what your problem is, everybody i know around where i live burns there rubbish at the back of the house or in a nearby field, it cant annoy you that much im sure he only burns once a week, people in the country have always burned there rubbish outside so i dont see what your problem is to be honest? I can tell you this nobody around here would ever complain about anybody burning rubbish or they would be the talk of the parish and social outcasts, you just dont do thinks like that in the countryside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭call d

Give the guy a break he might be just missunderstood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

1966 wrote: »
    I couldn't do without my bins so how others do legally is a constant wonder to me.
    Sorry to shatter your constant wonder but I dont have a bin & I don't break the law either. A combination of recycling, a green waste digester & very infrequent trips to a landfill - (usually whenever I generate some DIY waste or what have you) sorts out my waste problems.

If people took personal responsibility for the volume of waste they generated instead of absolving themselves of all responsibilty by paying for a bin the country would be in a far better state.

Personally I find the idea of sending anything other than building rubble to landfill pretty awful, it sickens me to think mixed waste streams being combined in a domestic bin only to be buried later.
    For the record backyard burning is a disaster also, incinerators FTW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

SouthKerry wrote: »
    I presume you live in the countryside op? So i dont see what your problem is, everybody i know around where i live burns there rubbish at the back of the house or in a nearby field, it cant annoy you that much im sure he only burns once a week, people in the country have always burned there rubbish outside so i dont see what your problem is to be honest? I can tell you this nobody around here would ever complain about anybody burning rubbish or they would be the talk of the parish and social outcasts, you just dont do thinks like that in the countryside.

You might want to check what forum you are in. Cork City - the clue is in the second word.

The house is in suburbia and tbh I don't want to be breathing in dioxins or whatever from the guy next door, he's only a few metres away.

Thanks for that number, Dahamsta, I'll give them a call if I spot neighborino burning again.

They won't rush out with blues and twos if you report it Simu, they'll just tell you how to proceed; you'll probably have to fill in a form, that's how local governments work. So if the neighbour is doing it on a regular basis like you say, you might as well start proceedings now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Rebeller

dahamsta wrote: »
    Phone the council on 021 4966222 and ask them what department you should be talking to; their customer service is generally very good

The words "Council" and "service" are not usually found within a mile of each other.

I have, on several occasions, reported the illegal dumping of rubbish to Cork City Council (and provided photographic evidence) and to this date have never received even as much as an acknowledgement that the issue will be looked into.

The only way you're going to get the Council to do anything is to call and e-mail them daily until they are forced to act.

Pack of wasters the lot of them! (both dumpers and Cúntcil:mad:)

Rebeller wrote: »
    Cúntcil
    Was that actually supposed to be funny? You had a bad experience with one department, and that's wrong, but applying that to the entire council is, frankly, juvenile. I've dealt with several departments and I've nearly always found them extremely helpful, and as efficient as they can be within the constraints of a local bureacracy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Burning plastics is stupid, apart from the fact that a lot of them can be reycled/disposed of for free. I spoke to a neighbour of mine when they dumped cement on the grass verge near my house, if they are ignorant and stupid enough to do this what kind of response do you think you will get??
    As for me, by being nice and approaching them I prevented myself from being able to report them, if that happened now they'd assume it was me and I don't need the hassle.

People like these will likely say ahh you should have approached me about it, but if you do they will likely tell you to **** off for being nosey or that it is none of your business.

I should have been more militant in my approach/zero tolerance to pouring oil down drains/disposing of rubbish in an anti-social, unacceptable and likely illegal manner.

Report them anonomously, and say nothing to anyone about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

Rebeller wrote: »
    The words "Council" and "service" are not usually found within a mile of each other.

I have, on several occasions, reported the illegal dumping of rubbish to Cork City Council (and provided photographic evidence) and to this date have never received even as much as an acknowledgement that the issue will be looked into.

The only way you're going to get the Council to do anything is to call and e-mail them daily until they are forced to act.

Pack of wasters the lot of them! (both dumpers and Cúntcil:mad:)

You should try making false claims. We had a falling out with the next door neighbour a few years back and he reported us for all sorts tax evasion, burning rubbish etc. Anyway long story short we've been visited twice this year by inspectors looking for scorch marks in the garden so the council are obviously checking out all reports. Maybe your talking to the wrong department?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

SouthKerry wrote: »

Holy ****! I just re-read the whole post as I saw there was a reply,
    I am fuc**ng aghast at what you have to say, what kind of person are you?

I don't know what age category you fit into? I really cannot say what I think of you as I don't know what the criteria for getting banned is.
    Aren't you aware of the global problem with waste and pollution, all anyone has to do is their best to minimise what they use and dispose of what they do in an environmentally safe and responsible manner, I say this and I consider myself a normal person, not even some kind of eco warrior.

Your last two sentences are why this poster should report the person anonymously. If we all took your approach we'd all be knee deep in rubbish and poison.
    You are likely the exact kind of person I have witnessed that thinks its acceptable to pour waste engine oil down a drain or dig a hole on your own land and do that? same attitude anyway.
    Have you ever heard of dioxins???
    I hope you are not so closed minded to see this is wrong, change your outlook.
    Mostly these things can be recycled for free anyway!!!

Advertisement