Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moral dilemma - accepting a job when I've already accepted another?

Options
  • 26-06-2009 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Basically the situation is, I've been out of work and on job seekers allowance the past few months. I have a mortgage and loans, and I'm seriously in debt now, as I've had to use my credit cards and overdraft to keep on top of payments.

But, there is light at the end of the tunnel. I've been offered a definite two-year (and possibly longer) contract in my field, with great pay and conditions. The catch is, it's not starting til November, and I need something to keep financially afloat until then.

I've done my best to find a temporary job but there's just nothing going. So I recently applied for a full-time permanent position, and to my surprise got offered the job. I'm not going to give too many details about it (obviously), but I've been given the contract and it's for one year.

So, if I were to ignore my morals and accept the job (and that's a big "if", as I'm generally an honest person), what's my legal position when November comes around and I resign? If I sign the contract, can they bring me to court or anything?

What would you do in my position? I could really do with some other peoples' insights here!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

Well as far as I know, they've no legal comeback if you walk out of a contract? (Open to correction on that!) Maybe they mightn't have to give you outstanding holiday pay or something, but I definitely don't think they could bring you to court.

Just don't tell them the reason you're leaving though, tell them it's for personal reasons or something and they might be less likely to get p'ssed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

if your contract has sone notice period in it then once you give such notice then you are covered.

there is nothing moral about your situation at all. The only way a company would bring you to court is if your walking cost tehm a lot of money say for a prticular contract that was near completion when you walked out.

Have you signed the contract yet. make sure it has something in it about notice period etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

IMO go for it - who knows where we'll all be next November?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

go for it, you have to look after number one. where i work people have started a new job and will hand in their notice within a few months, you needn't say why and legally you are entitled to leave. november is a lot of paychecks away, it would be great to earn money between now and then

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You have no guarantee that the better job in November will actually eventuate, so you would be crazy not to take the other job you've been offered now.

Just to check: you are being offered a fixed-term contract (ie you're to be an employee, paying tax via PAYE and PRSI - not a "proper" contractor who is paid on invoice and manages their own tax etc). This says you are only offered employment for a year. It will also have a notice period, typically a month. All you have to is resign giving the required period of notice.

(If the other job was weeks, not months, away you might have a dilemma. Months ... nah, you'd be quite justified.)

• Advertisement
Advertisement