Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alaska for 3 weeks, how much money will I need to show I have at visa interview?

• 26-06-2009 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi everyone,
    This is my first thread, I hope it's not too long.

I'm an outdoor pursuits enthusiast/instructor from Ireland. I'm planning to go to Alaska flying directly for 3 weeks in first week of August to go backpacking and will be camping and hiking the whole time. I have a place to stay with a friend also.

Does anyone have any idea as to how much money I should have to show I can support myself for duration of trip at visa interview at embassy in Dublin?
    I won't be going through ESTA.

I have been saving money but don't have a whole lot as I'm on disability payments at the moment for injury sustained at work. I'm fit to travel though.

Does anyone know if this will cause problems regarding how my bank balance looks over past few months.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Why do you need a visa?

If you're an Irish citizen going on holiday to the US then you only have to register online 2 days before you leave and they will approve your visa waiver. Don't think you normally need to show how much money you have for such a short holiday and you certainly don't need to go to the embassy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ilovemountains

Thanks for replying.
    I'm actually inelligable for ESTA, due to v.minor misdemeanour which has left me with a probation(2) to take into consiseration.

Embarassing, yes.
    However it was nothing serious, but now means can't tick the 'never been arrested for 'acts moral turbitude' box.

This is the reason I will have to apply for visa through interview process.
    Am nervous, but hopefully demonstraion of sound character will balance things out there.
    The funds the will expect proof of for 3weeks is the other thing.

I didn't realise that I would have to apply for visa until this week and worried that I won't enough time to have all this processed by embassy in time to go to Alaska.

If anyone has had any experiences relating to any of the above that might help me get a better picture of where I stand before interview, I'd be extremly grateful.
    Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Thanks for replying.
    I'm actually inelligable for ESTA, due to v.minor misdemeanour which has left me with a probation(2) to take into consiseration.

Embarassing, yes.
    However it was nothing serious, but now means can't tick the 'never been arrested for 'acts moral turbitude' box.
    Lol, you're going to have to elaborate!:)

I don't think they'll hassle you too much over the money.

How much do you have at the moment? Since you'll be camping the whole time you're hardly going to need that much dough but even still, I'm sure one could get by on €2k for three weeks even somewhere like Alaska. Can you show them you have that much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

I'm on my second J1 up in Denali NP at the moment and I'd just mention that everything is way more expensive up here in Alaska unless you're in Anchorage or Fairbanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Lol, sorry, I'm afraid I don't know anything about that... maybe they'll ask you how you got the money :p:D

Yea I heard Alaska is pretty expensive but if you've already paid to fly up there you're probably going to know that already !!

Valmont: Sounds like fun what you up to in Denali? My sister-in-law is from Dillingham, never been but would love to go.

• Advertisement

spideog7 wrote: »
    Valmont: Sounds like fun what you up to in Denali? My sister-in-law is from Dillingham, never been but would love to go.

It's my second summer up here and I'm working in a gift shop but living in a small town called Healy. I live in a small cabin in the woods, go hiking, shooting and camping during my spare time and generally play at being the Alaskan man. Alaska is such a huge state and that Dillingham is so far away that I'll probably never visit there! That said, it's so beautiful and wild up here that I'd recommend anyone to visit as long as they like the outdoors of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭RebelGirrrl

Could you do a backpacking thing through there, or even travel for a while on a cheap budget?

Could you do a backpacking thing through there, or even travel for a while on a cheap budget?

Well, it's so expensive to get here that a cheap budget is almost impossible to maintain. On the plus side you can hitch hike almost anywhere, there is a realy hitchhiker friendly culture up here as there is usually huge distances between towns and no public transport. If you have a tent and are willing to hitch you're sorted and can spend money on some tours and other things like that. Food is expensive enough outside of the cities too. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭RebelGirrrl

Do many people do it?

Advertisement