Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you have to know before calling Insurance company?

Options
  • 26-06-2009 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

Sorry to ask a stupid question but what kind of details would you have to know if you were to get a quote for House Insurance over the phone before they would give you one? The house is rented, would you need to know the names & ages of the tenants & everything? Also, how exactly can you calculate exactly how much it would cost to rebuild your house?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Check a few online quotes and you will see what information they look for. They do not ask for tenant names

Check this link from the Society of Chartered Surveyors for assistance in valuation:

http://www.scs.ie/digital_publications/get_lob?id=22&field=publication

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭mikedublin

I tried getting a quote recently from one company, and they wanted to know the exact square footage of the property. I had no idea how to find this out and they couldn't tell me either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭RebelGirrrl

homer911 wrote: »
    Check a few online quotes and you will see what information they look for. They do not ask for tenant names

Check this link from the Society of Chartered Surveyors for assistance in valuation:

http://www.scs.ie/digital_publications/get_lob?id=22&field=publication

Would anyone else say this is reliable, I tried the 123.ie website as well but that seemed harder to use. You still to know the sqaure footage of the house to work it out though? Is there no easier way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Rebelgirrrl, did you not start a different thread on this only last week?

mikedublin wrote: »
    I tried getting a quote recently from one company, and they wanted to know the exact square footage of the property. I had no idea how to find this out and they couldn't tell me either.

So, what did you do? From the link I worked it about to be about €200,000 for a 3 bed semi. Would that sound about right does anyone know? Should the fact that it's rented make any difference to the price ?

• Advertisement

I'm sorry to bring this up again but I'm not actually living in the house at the moment and so have no way of calculating the exact square footage. Going by the Charter Surveyor's website it works out at about €220,000 for a 3 bed semi in Dublin once you include the garage. Does that sound about right?

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

The estate agent that you bought the house from or an estate agent in the locality should be able to help you here.

You don't think I'd be safe to just use the estimate on the Charter Surveyor's website?

I've been told that the amount of cover should also include demolition, clearing the site etc. Is this true and if so do the estimates given on the Charter Surveyor include this?

I don't where the house is ! If it is in an estate, google the address and there may be another house in the estate that is up for sale and you could get the sq. footage from the likes of myhome.ie. If it is an average house you probaly wouldn't be a million miles from the estimation. Just remember though if the house burns down and the house is underinsured you won't get paid the full amount. eg if you insure for 200K and the rebuilding cost is say 400K, the insurance compnay would only pay out 100K - sorry I took the easy example.

• Advertisement

I've been told that the amount of cover should also include demolition, clearing the site etc. Is this true and if so do the estimates given on the Charter Surveyor include this?

I believe they do.

Anyone else know and would you be happy to trust them?

from the scs website:

The costs included in this guide are a guideline to the MINIMUM
    value for which you should insure the structure of your house.
    Applying these rates to the area of your house will give you a
    base, which you should add to in order to cover other costs, such
    as boundary walls, garages, fitted kitchens, etc.
    The insurance value for houses varies greatly depending on the type
    of house, i.e., Georgian, modern, with or without basement, etc.
    The costs in this guide are intended to cover typical, speculatively
    built estate-type houses in Dublin, Cork, Galway, Waterford and
    Limerick, which were built since the 1960s. If you have another
    type of house, for instance a Georgian or Victorian house, the
    costs in this guide will not be appropriate to adequately insure
    your house. If you have a house of this more unusual type, you
    should have a reinstatement cost assessment carried out by a
    Chartered Quantity Surveyor.
    The costs are calculated on a total loss situation, i.e., the house has
    been totally destroyed and has to be demolished and totally
    rebuilt. In addition to demolition and reconstruction, the costs also
    allow for building surveyors’/architects’/quantity surveyors’ fees,
    and for value added tax at the correct rates at the time of printing
    this guide.
    The costs do not include any allowance for contents such as
    carpets, curtains, loose furniture and domestic appliances. A
    separate insurance policy for contents is required.

How did other people go about finding out rebuilding costs?

It says that your Insurance doesn't cover carpets, furniture etc. You have to take out a seperate policy for this & where could I find out about that?

It says on the SCS website that House Insurance and Contents Insurance are seperate, are there any policies that anyone knows that cover both?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Threads merged. You don't need a separate thread for this.

Most companies that sell Buildings Insurance will also offer Contents Insurance as part of a package.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

All House Insurance policies cover both, but you can choose what cover you want on each part. Sometimes the contents cover can be defined as a % of the buildings cover, sometimes as a value..

Advertisement