Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay politicans?

Options
  • 26-06-2009 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Did I hear that Ireland recently elected it's first gay (lesbian) mayor? Somewhere like Tullamore?. Strange how just one member of our 226 Oireachtas members are homosexual. Is it that no gay's are allergic to politics or are there more in the closet?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Donnaghm

As a member of FG, I can honestly say I know loads of our public representatives who are gay. They aren't really outwardly so and are not single issue candidates like Norris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Donnaghm wrote: »
    As a member of FG, I can honestly say I know loads of our public representatives who are gay. They aren't really outwardly so and are not single issue candidates like Norris.

Norris is for human rights, not just gay rights.

Norris is for human rights, not just gay rights.

You're quite right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Dominic Hannigan is a Labour Senator, who is openly gay. As for your question about no gays being in politics, or are they just closeted: I think it's the latter. I'm sure there are many gay FF TDs who are closeted for fear that all the Dublin grannies would stop voting for them were they to come out.

Aard wrote: »
    Dominic Hannigan is a Labour Senator, who is openly gay. As for your question about no gays being in politics, or are they just closeted: I think it's the latter. I'm sure there are many gay FF TDs who are closeted for fear that all the Dublin grannies would stop voting for them were they to come out.

It would take the FFers wouldn't it. They don't wish to alienate the bigoted redneck demographic.
    I say it's more the rural grannies. The dublin grannies couldn't give a monkeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Its funny the wikipedia article says he was found loitering in an area "used by underage male prostitutes"

The links it quotes - Myers has no reference to underage. The other one only has "dubious circumstances"

F*cking wikipedia!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,703 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Malcolm Byrne, FF councillor in Gorey. Few Labour councillors. Dominic Hannigan and David Norris.

Thats about it as goes openly gay. There are far more, obviously; and those in parties are going to know of ones that aren't out.

Malcolm Byrne got outed after a local rag journo found him on Gaydar. Nobody asked what said "upstanding member of the community" journo was doing on Gaydar in the first place. Local radio station had a poll about "do you still support Malcolm Byrne after his 'scandal'" and got over 90% support IIRC....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Just because you don't know a politician is gay, doesn't mean he/she isn't out. Often those in the political establishment will know while the public will not. I don't see anything wrong with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

MYOB wrote: »
    Malcolm Byrne, FF councillor in Gorey. Few Labour councillors. Dominic Hannigan and David Norris.

Thats about it as goes openly gay. There are far more, obviously; and those in parties are going to know of ones that aren't out.

Malcolm Byrne got outed after a local rag journo found him on Gaydar. Nobody asked what said "upstanding member of the community" journo was doing on Gaydar in the first place. Local radio station had a poll about "do you still support Malcolm Byrne after his 'scandal'" and got over 90% support IIRC....

F-ing journalists thinking they've discovered news by finding someone on gaydar.. he had a profile on gaydar ages before he was a FF councillor. It wasn't something he ever hid, just cos some people didn't know about it..what was he supposed to do, introduce himself as gay to everyone?

It could be worse, though..in the last elections Rodiric O'Gorman in D15 had to content with Leo Varadkar's canvassers going around telling people at the door about his sexuality (mostly with older folks), with the not-so-subtle suggestion that people should thus think carefully about his suitability as a candidate before voting for him. Having known his father for quite a long time, having attended him as my GP in all this time, it seems the apple fell far from the tree.

Anyway, re. Malcolm I hope that journo got a rap on the knuckles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Iskenderun

Boston wrote: »
    Just because you don't know a politician is gay, doesn't mean he/she isn't out. Often those in the political establishment will know while the public will not. I don't see anything wrong with that.

I completely agree. Whether you are in the closet or out, and are a public representative, is a matter for the individual concerned. People have a right to privacy and it appears that the 4th estate in this country respects this, as they also do in France.
    The only occasion a person should be 'outed' is when they engage in some hypocritical campaign against the gay community.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,703 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Boston wrote: »

Publicly out might be a better term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Iskenderun wrote: »
    The only occasion a person should be 'outed' is when they engage in some hypocritical campaign against the gay community.

how so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 maxi19

Many Sinn Féin councillors and senior representives in Belfast are homosexuals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Daisy D

maxi19 wrote: »
    Many Sinn Féin councillors and senior representives in Belfast are homosexuals.

And how is this different to other parties?? So what if SF or FF or GP or whoever is gay.

I really don't know why people are so hung up on if people are publicly gay or privately. I know what mayor you are talking about OP and they are not publicly out to everyone but to people who ask this person admits it.

I support what a poster said about not having to be publicly outed unless they are doing something to infringe on the minorities advancement!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Filan wrote: »
    Did I hear that Ireland recently elected it's first gay (lesbian) mayor? Somewhere like Tullamore?. Strange how just one member of our 226 Oireachtas members are homosexual. Is it that no gay's are allergic to politics or are there more in the closet?.

Yes Mullingar

http://www.westmeathexaminer.ie/news/mullingar/articles/2009/06/23/40821-town-council-leader-out-/

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

So what if a politician is Gay ?
    What they do in their bedrooms is their own business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Daisy D

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    So what if a politician is Gay ?
    What they do in their bedrooms is their own business.

Too an extent, LOL ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement