Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to derry

Options
  • 26-06-2009 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi all,

i've received an offer of a postgrad from University of Ulster in the Magee Campus. Before I accept I could really do with some information about Derry. I'll be moving up from Dublin on my own and I'll know noone so any advise would be great;

* What's the city like to live in, is it a welcoming place, are people friendly?
    * Is there anywere I should avoid renting in?
    * Has anyone studied in he University, particularly as a mature student? What was their experience like?
    *What's the public transport like if I was to rent a bit further away from the campus?

Any other advise/tips?

thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭RadioCity

The main University building is on the Rock Road, but no public transport operates on this stretch of road, but it is quite frequent on the roads on either end of it, Strand Road and Northland Road. Try and stay within the City bus area to keep to the cheapest fares.

There's a lot of students living in the Rosemount area which is a short walk from the university building. There's also some student accommodation (Rock Mills and Coppin House) on the Strand Road end of the Rock Road. Theres probably a lot more, I think on Duncreggan Road, but these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

It might be (possibly) cheaper living on the opposite side of the river (the Waterside). There's lots of pleasant areas to live in all over the city. If you have you eye on a few places to live, you should ask on here and some of us "Derry wans" will give you our opinion on the areas and suggest areas to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Been livin here for four years now and on the whole i love it, derry is great craic and there is always something to keep you amused even if it is only a pint or two :)

Radio forgot to mention duncreggan student village as another student accommodation, given your accent i would advise against moving to the waterside, and the best thing about derry is it is small so you wont have to worry about transportation as coppin, rock mills and duncreggan are within a two minute walk of the university

If you want anymore info let me know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 asho123

thanks lads, that's a great start. I'll be going up for a couple of days over the next few weeks and I'll probably have more questions after that but as of now I've accepted the offer!

cheers:)

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

GAAman wrote: »
    Been livin here for four years now and on the whole i love it, derry is great craic and there is always something to keep you amused even if it is only a pint or two :)
    Sweet. ;)
    ...given your accent i would advise against moving to the waterside...

I know plenty of lads in the 'Waterside' that wouldn't have a problem with his accent, but you are probably right; areas such as Nelson Drive and Lincoln Courts should be avoided just in case. Ye won't have a problem in Top of the Hill or Srath na feabhail (which isn't actually in the Waterside, since that ends after the Caw Roundabout) though ;)

Derry is a city with a small-town atmosphere - be wary of the local rumour-mill! It's generally sound, but ye might have to adjust your 'sarcasm-meter' and get used to getting slagged! haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Derry men do not like to work - at least that is what Derry women tell me. ;)

• Advertisement

Essex men are c unts. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Trendkill97

The Essex "boy" has a cheek to slag Derry men haha

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Careful lads.

Back on topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

i'm in UU Magee..

its ****ing awesome

DRakE wrote: »
    i'm in UU Magee..

its ****ing awesome

Hmm wonder if i know you

• Advertisement

first year multimedia computer games

hmm joe? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Bring a raincoat! And something warm. Derry is wet and cold. But great craic for nightlife!

dlofnep wrote: »
    Bring a raincoat! And something warm. Derry is wet and cold. But great craic for nightlife!

Haha It's not always wet and cold! But this is Ireland, so I assume you have a raincoat anyway!

With regard to the nightlife... the entertainment tonight was a riot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

DoireNod wrote: »
    Haha It's not always wet and cold! But this is Ireland, so I assume you have a raincoat anyway!

With regard to the nightlife... the entertainment tonight was a riot...

I live in the sunny south-east lad! All we get is tropical weather.. At least, compared to arctic Derry!

dlofnep wrote: »
    I live in the sunny south-east lad! All we get is tropical weather.. At least, compared to arctic Derry!

Haha! Now that you say it...point taken. :pac:

first year multimedia computer games
    hmm joe? :o

Ha no, i know a lad from galway at magee must be more then one of you so cos he is doin law

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I went there for undergrad and hated it...but then I'm big city girl (not a big girl before anyone says it!). Try th mature zoned accom. in Duncreggan, they weren't great at the 'zoning' when I was there but I hear it improved in later years :D I lived on the Waterside with my Cork accent and got on fine.

I won't move this to NI/GB colleges for now as I don't think anyone who posts there goes to UUM (GAAman excluded of course!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Move it? Wtf? I'll lay the smackdown if you come up in 'ere and be all like "Yeah, whatever", and i'll be like "PUH! WHA? BAM!!!!!", and you'll be all like "Owwww".

F'sho!

' wrote:
    [cEMAN**;61334002']Move it? Wtf? I'll lay the smackdown if you come up in 'ere and be all like "Yeah, whatever", and i'll be like "PUH! WHA? BAM!!!!!", and you'll be all like "Owwww".

F'sho!

Bring it :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

pow wow wrote: »
    Bring it :cool:
    Stop stealing my lines. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭j0e

GAAman Drake!?

Whats this?

fellow UU Magee

going into final year of computer games development

interesting

back up in a few weeks

beers anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 asho123

Hi all,

thanks for all the advice! All sorted now, will be moving up next week (both me and my raincoat!)

cheers:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 keith_donaghy

Magee is full of steps so make sure your fit!

Magee is full of steps so make sure your fit!

And derry city is full of hills so bring the climbing gear ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭smallgarden

hiya,im just wondering whats the best way to get from the airport to magee campus,was thinking bus or taxi but buses are really limited on ulsterbus site

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Get the bus to the city centre. Magee is about a 10-15m walk from there. You could ask anyone directions, or use google maps from the Ulsterbus depot in Foyle Street.

are there other buses to centre than ulsterbus,they are really irregular from looking at online timetable

I don't think there are any private buses go there (the map on the Airporter website suggests it does but I don't know if that's true or just bad graphics).

Outside of that taxi would be your only option, although the airport isn't that far outside the city it is kind of isolated. You could catch a taxi into town and then walk to Magee or just hop a taxi all the way to Magee (it'd only be an extra £2 or £3 on top of the fare from the airport to town). I had to do the same for my interview.

Or you could rent a car for the day...

• Advertisement

thanks,i might just ask at the airport and the bus station and try get bus one way and taxi back if cant get bus both ways,ive sen taxi estimated at around 12 pound just to the city centre so would be around 30 pounds taxi for round trip

Advertisement