Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to derry

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

are there other buses to centre than ulsterbus,they are really irregular from looking at online timetable

Hi there dont look at the printed timetables they are usually way outta date, go to http://www.translink.co.uk/ and in the journey planner on the lower left hand side put in city of derry airport for the from field and foyle street in the to field

I would copy the results here but have no idea what time or day you are looking at but here is an example of today from 7 am's results
    aDeparture 8:48 10:00 12:35 13:00 15:43

aArrival 10:06 10:21 13:06 13:21 16:46

aTravel Time 1:18 0:21 0:31 0:21 1:03

Ignore the bolded ones they go to limavady, the shorter duration ones go straight into the town itself

As for the magee part, depending on how many bags you have it is a straight ten minute walk from the bus station to magee or there are taxis outside at most times of the day and evening

if you need more help pm me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭smallgarden

hey thanks for the help,i had "fun" on the buses.i went to limavaddy as timetable suggested go there and get connecting bus to city centre, not realising i was going miles awat fro it to go right past airport again.bus driver was useless as explained what i wanted to do but never told me there was a bus stop just outside the airport
    heading to magee campus next in sep so any advice on places to stay etc would be really appreciated
    bit worried about the recent activity up there but hopefully itl settle down again

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

hey thanks for the help,i had "fun" on the buses.i went to limavaddy as timetable suggested go there and get connecting bus to city centre, not realising i was going miles awat fro it to go right past airport again.bus driver was useless as explained what i wanted to do but never told me there was a bus stop just outside the airport
    heading to magee campus next in sep so any advice on places to stay etc would be really appreciated
    bit worried about the recent activity up there but hopefully itl settle down again

Ulsterbus drivers can be a nightmare at times, watch out for the dirty looks some of them give when you say "Derry" instead of "Londonderry".

I'd not worry about recent bomb, Derry is as safe as anywhere else as long as you stick to areas you know/don't act the eejit.

When you say "places to stay" I assume you mean accommodation? Have you checked out the Magee halls?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭RadioCity

Word to the wise...don't use the Translink Journey Planner! It can throw up some chaotic travel suggestions.

Ring Derry bus station and ask for help- or ask on here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

irish_goat wrote: »
    Ulsterbus drivers can be a nightmare at times, watch out for the dirty looks some of them give when you say "Derry" instead of "Londonderry".

I'd not worry about recent bomb, Derry is as safe as anywhere else as long as you stick to areas you know/don't act the eejit.

When you say "places to stay" I assume you mean accommodation? Have you checked out the Magee halls?

eh? Nearly everyone i know says derry and they are unionists except for a few bigoted losers, its really not like that, just ignore the ones who give you a dirty look as they really don't have a clue and are in the back beyond, from council estates and haven't been educated and are looking to shove their unionism up your throat or should i say orangeism, real unionists aren't like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Well places to stay wise the university accommodation would be your best bet if you dont know anyone. There are loads of student houses around the uni but as i said halls would be best for your first year to get your bearings and its also a good way to make friends if you want info on places to go for student houses send me a pm dont wanna put info up here will look like a schill :D

As for the recent activity, i have been here for five years now and there have only been a few incidents like it, they have been and usually are directed at the strand road barracks which are a fair bit away from the halls and uni itself so dont worry about that

Edit the link for the uni accom page is right here

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Hopping The Border

I was a student at Magee for four years - can safely say some of if not the best years of my life (live in Belf & have lived in Dub too).

As regards accommodation it depends what you want - if you're an undergrad and don't know too many heading up Duncreggan is the way to go - you can choose to live in the tenements "no en suite" or the posh blocks "ensuite". All flats have internet access and is usually five/six to a flat. I would recommend the tenements since they have sitting rooms instead of combination sitting room/kitchens and are generally far better craic!

if you don't fancy on campus your options are the Argyle Street Area, Duncreggan Road, The Glens area or further up towards/into Rosemount.

Tip some great houses I know of are 96 Duncreggan Road and 1,3,4 & 5 on Grafton terrace beside Gibbons chippie, but these houses are usually some of the first to go

While I was there there was one major agent who looked after all the houses for the Landlords - doubt I'm allowed to name him but his office is located beside BBC Radio Foyle which is behind the library at the top end of the campus. He's decent enough but as with all landlords/agents be firm, fair and aware.

As for recent activity, I wouldn't be too concerned, its nowhere near as dangerous/terrifying as the media makes out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

I miss Derry & uni there :( Was in duncreggan too :D Like .... years ago :(

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

Went to Magee and lived in Duncreggan..Its a good spot to stay and has really good security and carparking.4-5min Walk to the Campus and its in a Nice residential area..good student pub/club just down the road called 'Earth'...

Would go back anyday..Derry people are really sound from what i encountered.

Advertisement