Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wall tile adhesive

Options
  • 26-06-2009 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭

Can anybody tell me what the difference is between rapid wall tile adhesive and standard white powder adhesive, aside from the price? Is there any reason why I should use one rather than the other??

Somebody has suggested that the grey in the rapid adhesive would show through a white grout (like putting a black undercoat on a wall for a white finish).

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

This can be discussed for hours the basic diy difference is you should not really use ready make buckets for anything bigger than kitchen 10 x 10cm

The best adhesive to use on the walll is white powder polymer based adhesive as it suits porcelaine on walls as well but this is about 30 euro a bag but like the arguement goes... have of the job is in propper preperation

You can use grey wall adhesive on ceramic tiles but I would stick to white

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭beldin

The other difference is speed. Ready mixed is a pleasure to use, I used a BAL wall adhesive for a bathroom and found it excellent. I used powder on the floor and it was a nightmare having to mix it, lay it before it hardened and cleaning up afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Autorotation

I don't think there's any problem using grey adhesive so long as u clean out the joints with a utility knife or similar as u go... Don't leave spacers in either. I personally don't like tubbed adhesive at all. Its very sticky and a simple wipe off with a wet sponge doesn't get rid of excess like it does a cement based addy. You have to use a scouring pad. Can be difficult to get combed ridges because it sticks to itself. Maybe I just used a poorer quality one (Evo-stick Watertite).

Advertisement