Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sitebanned from Pro Wrestling

Options
  • 26-06-2009 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭

Basically the situation is this. I'm on my way home from a work conference today and I get a text from a fellow poster on the PW forum asking me had I abused the moderators from a fake account. Apparently someone set up an account and abused the mods on there and I have been blamed for it. I've PM'd ShawnRaven about this matter and his response was this:

"I did an IP check and it was a direct match to your account. I had to act accordingly. And had i not done it, orestes would have done because he posted it to the admins about 3 minutes after I had done."

I have no clue in the world whats going on. I haven't posted on boards since Wednesday night. There has to be some mistake?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Hi Flahavaj.

First things first if you're going to quote my PM, i would have appreciated being consulted first.

Basically took an hour out of PW and came back and another user (salvationarmy) had posted up a bunch of rather insulting/rude posts about myself, and another mod of PW, orestes.

Fair enough, part of the job and all that. I expect that from time to time.
    What I didn't expect is one of our regular contributors to have a direct IP match with your account. I asked for it to be looked into, and the salvationarmy account was nuked, and your account was permanently banned on the basis of personal abuse to not one but two moderators.

I'm sure orestes will also have something to say on this matter, as he too was insulted in the process.

Cheers,
    SR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Hi Flahavaj.

First things first if you're going to quote my PM, i would have appreciated being consulted first.
    My apologies for that, I didn't think of asking in my haste to poste on here. I'm a little annoyed to come home to this on Friday evening, as you can wel imagine.
    Basically took an hour out of PW and came back and another user (salvationarmy) had posted up a bunch of rather insulting/rude posts about myself, and another mod of PW, orestes.

Fair enough, part of the job and all that. I expect that from time to time.
    What I didn't expect is one of our regular contributors to have a direct IP match with your account. I asked for it to be looked into, and the salvationarmy account was nuked, and your account was permanently banned on the basis of personal abuse to not one but two moderators.

I'm sure orestes will also have something to say on this matter, as he too was insulted in the process.

Cheers,
    As I said in my OP, I haven't a clue how this could have happened, I'm not computer minded enough to give a good reason as to how you've come to this conclusion and don't even know fully what an IP address is, but there must be some other explanation for this. I'm sorry you have been insulted but its nothing at all to do with me.

So has anyone figured anything out yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

There was a direct IP match between your account and the account that was used to post abuse to the PW mods across the site. That basically means that it was posted from the same computer/network you post from and the stuff that we can see with the mod tools points a fair bit towards it being posted by you using an alt account.

So either it was you or your housemate is trying to land you in hot water or something like that.

orestes wrote: »
    There was a direct IP match between your account and the account that was used to post abuse to the PW mods across the site. That basically means that it was posted from the same computer/network you post from and the stuff that we can see with the mod tools points a fair bit towards it being posted by you using an alt account.

So either it was you or your housemate is trying to land you in hot water or something like that.

I live with my partner and she hasn't posted on boards in her life.

So let me get this straight, evidence that "points a fair bit" towards me doing this is good enough proof to ban a regular poster of over two years good standing from a forum? Surely the level of ambiguity in your final sentence leaves the possibility of my innocence open? And if thats the case banning me is totally unjustified.

This can't be right surely to God? Is that the final decision or where else can I appeal this because this is an absolute disgrace? I'm furious over this whole affair, that I repeat once again, has nothing at all to do with me.

• Advertisement

flahavaj wrote: »
    I live with my partner and she hasn't posted on boards in her life.

So let me get this straight, evidence that "points a fair bit" towards me doing this is good enough proof to ban a regular poster of over two years good standing from a forum? Surely the level of ambiguity in your final sentence leaves the possibility of my innocence open? And if thats the case banning me is totally unjustified.

This can't be right surely to God? Is that the final decision or where else can I appeal this because this is an absolute disgrace? I'm furious over this whole affair, that I repeat once again, has nothing at all to do with me.

Yes, it is enough reason for us to ban you until this is sorted out, and has been sanctioned by the admins. The decision is not final but so far I am seeing no reason to lift it, if you are the only person using your connection to post on boards and the salvationary account came from that connection (our tools indicate that it did by the way) then it seems like a logical connection to me that it was you. The possibility of your innocence is indeed still open, hence us being here to discuss it rather than you being sitebanned right off the bat.

I was trying to be casual when I said a "fair bit" by the way, there is enough of a connection and IP match for us to ban you from the PW forum pending investigation with approval from the admins, so that would indicate it's a pretty high connection, no?

orestes wrote: »
    Yes, it is enough reason for us to ban you until this is sorted out, and has been sanctioned by the admins. The decision is not final but so far I am seeing no reason to lift it, if you are the only person using your connection to post on boards and the salvationary account came from that connection (our tools indicate that it did by the way) then it seems like a logical connection to me that it was you. The possibility of your innocence is indeed still open, hence us being here to discuss it rather than you being sitebanned right off the bat.

I was trying to be casual when I said a "fair bit" by the way, there is enough of a connection and IP match for us to ban you from the PW forum pending investigation with approval from the admins, so that would indicate it's a pretty high connection, no?

My argument to that would be that you cannot possibly ban me for life from boards unless you can prove without any doubt that it was I posted those stupid schoolyard insults yesterday. So far, by your own admittance, you haven't done that. All that has happened so far is that my name has been dragged emnbarrassingly through the mud and I have been banned from a forum that I thoroughly enjoy posting on through no fault of my own.

I thoroughly sympathise with yourself and SR for the insults that you had to endure yeaterday, you are both victims in this every bit as much as me, by the way. All I want to do is clear my name.

Can I ask you exactly the timeframe that these posts were made? Would I be right in saying before 5 O Clock? Because if so that rules me out completely.

flahavaj wrote: »
    My argument to that would be that you cannot possibly ban me for life from boards unless you can prove without any doubt that it was I posted those stupid schoolyard insults yesterday. So far, by your own admittance, you haven't done that. All that has happened so far is that my name has been dragged emnbarrassingly through the mud and I have been banned from a forum that I thoroughly enjoy posting on through no fault of my own.

I thoroughly sympathise with yourself and SR for the insults that you had to endure yeaterday, you are both victims in this every bit as much as me, by the way. All I want to do is clear my name.

Can I ask you exactly the timeframe that these posts were made? Would I be right in saying before 5 O Clock? Because if so that rules me out completely.

You are not banned for life from boards, you are currently banned from the Pro Wrestling forum until this is sorted out. The ban was set to permanant by default, if this is cleared up it will be lifted, if it is not then the ban will remain. So far I'm still sat on the fence and haven't made up my mind either way, your ban was a precautionary measure until this is all cleared up, and I apologise for the inconvenience, but it was deemed the appropriate course of action at the time by the mods and admins.

The posts were made between 16:38 and 16:50 yesterday.

And you think your name has been dragged through the mud? Apparently SR gave me chlymidia! :eek::o

PM sent to orestes detailing my whereabouts at the times provided above. Admins or other mods investigating the case are more than welcome to contact him or me if they would like to be party to this information, but I would ask them to respect that this is private information and not for general broadcast on the boards.

After discussion in PM with flahavaj I am happy to lift his ban from Pro Wrestling, any mods or admins who would like to PM me about this decision please feel free to do so, but I am satisfied that flahavaj was not involved in this mess.

Ban lifted and my sincire apologies for the inconvenience and misunderstanding flahavaj.

• Advertisement

Thank you orestes.

Advertisement