Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpaid time

Options
  • 26-06-2009 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi ,i work in retail and regularly have to work 10 to 20 mins after official paid time is finished . This time is not paid but it is expected to be done .
    Yes i am glad to have a job and dont mind doing a bit extra for the common good ,but this has become a habit now .
    Is everyone in the same boat now ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I think so.....employers will use current economic conditions to get the extra mile out of employees:
    I work in call centre, we have to come in 10 mins earlier, to log on to all systems we use, and if stuck on call or with a customer account often have to stay a couple of mins after your finish time. We dont get paid for this, yet it is expected every day that you are working: it adds up to nearly an extra hour a week, when all is counted, yet if ask to leave for 10mins to make call or try and leave early one evening, flat no the is answer! you wounldnt mind doing the extra bit of work, if it reflected in your employers attitude towards flexibility, but that is rare!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Always had the 10-15 mins prob, but last night was there for 2 hours after closing cleaning and tidying!! Beyond a joke :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Hi ,i work in retail and regularly have to work 10 to 20 mins after official paid time is finished . This time is not paid but it is expected to be done .
    Yes i am glad to have a job and dont mind doing a bit extra for the common good ,but this has become a habit now .
    Is everyone in the same boat now ?

do you clock in? Are you asked to stay back or is it because the work has to be finished?

If you are asked to stay back you should be paid and maybe a reminder to the manager who asked you to stay back about such might be needed.

If you have to stay back purley because the work has to be done then sorry but get the work done faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

That's a ridiculous comment, it can often be impossible to finish at whatever time the shop closes, particularly if it's extra busy because it's understaffed. My company pay part-timers and flexi until they clock back out, our shifts are supposed to finish at half 7/half 8 and we can only work until one hour past that. Full-timers are not paid past that half an hour and they're entitled to leave. I'd imagine this is what they have to do, pay us until we clock out. In most other shops, everyone leaves at closing time because they don't get paid after it. You probably do have a case.

What does your contract say? 10/15 minutes isn't a whole lot though.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I think so.....employers will use current economic conditions to get the extra mile out of employees:
    I work in call centre, we have to come in 10 mins earlier, to log on to all systems we use, and if stuck on call or with a customer account often have to stay a couple of mins after your finish time. We dont get paid for this, yet it is expected every day that you are working: it adds up to nearly an extra hour a week, when all is counted, yet if ask to leave for 10mins to make call or try and leave early one evening, flat no the is answer! you wounldnt mind doing the extra bit of work, if it reflected in your employers attitude towards flexibility, but that is rare!

Count yourself lucky. Myself and colleague regularly do 5-10 hours unpaid overtime a week and a blind eye is turned to Working Time Regulations. Meanwhile some of our colleagues do about 8-10 hours a week less than they are contracted to do so and since out bosses are offshore and local management/HR turn a blind eye nothing happens. Its extremely depressing despite the downturn I'm applying for 5-10 jobs a day in vain hope.

• Advertisement
Advertisement