Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student Access Course: Can anyone give me some info on it?

Options
  • 26-06-2009 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I've applied for the Access course in arts and humanities. Can anyone who's done that course give me some info on it eg; how intensive is it? How difficult? What kind of an experience is it generally? Thanks a lot. Here's hoping I'm accepted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Nettles

Did the access course three years ago am now going into my third year of an arts degree in ucd. The course was great and while it may seem like hard work if you've been out of education for awhile, it's not that bad, great basis for going further in your studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Infoseeking

Thanks a lot for the reply. I have been out of education for a while but I'm not incapable of challenging myself :) I'm determined to put my all into this, it would mean a lot to me. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I took the course when it was called Returning to Learning, in 2002. I had been out of the classroom for 19 years and never even sat the Leaving. I really enjoyed it. Went straight into the BA after it and am now just completing my MA.

You will love it :).

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Infoseeking

Thanks for the feedback mate. It sounds like this course is the one for me.The interviews are in August. Here's hoping I'm what they're looking for. Thanks again :)

If Michael Doran is still teaching the history course, take it!! he is a very good imparter of knowledge in a very entertaining manner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fulham

Just completed the Access Course and it was a great experience. Everyone in the same boat and everyone helps each other. It was a great feeling to study, complete assignments and do exams. The next step is the difficult one, whether to take up the CAO offer or not. Is it too much of an undertaking? Any advice for a 'very' mature student?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

fulham wrote: »
    Just completed the Access Course and it was a great experience. Everyone in the same boat and everyone helps each other. It was a great feeling to study, complete assignments and do exams. The next step is the difficult one, whether to take up the CAO offer or not. Is it too much of an undertaking? Any advice for a 'very' mature student?
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained. There's no age limit for education.

I agree with the above poster. There is no age limit to expanding knowledge. In fact, mature students appear to do better in the main in degree courses.

Go for it.

Advertisement