Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Sh*te on our paths epidemic?

Options
  • 26-06-2009 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Has anyone else found the problem like me ,that when out for a walk you have to weave in between the dogs poo on the paths.

Its especially annoying when my little one :pac: comes with me on her little bike with the training wheels andI'm having to warn her nearly every three feet not to walk/roll in it!:eek:

When I was growing up every family had a dog(for minding the house), it was like the alarm system of the 80's.
    They just ran free roaming the streets and it was'nt as bad because they probably had the instinct to do it in a back road or grassy area most of the time anyway.

Now It is v rare to see a dog running free so my deduction is that people are walking their dogs and not picking up.
    Some generous soul always has their dog leave me a nice goey one inside my driveway every now and then.
    So please remember to bring a poop bag and pick it up, please ?
    Is it just that they forget till it's too late? would you pick up a fresh poo or prefer to walk swiftly away?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

First of all, your use of the word "epidemic" is a ridiculous show of exaggeration.

Secondly, at no point did you specify what part of Limerick you're talking about.

Thirdly, I doubt you'd be so qualified an animal expert to be able to prove that dogs' instincts have changed drastically over 20-odd years.

Cop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 notmyname79

Jesus calm down, my post was lighthearted,

Why should i specify what part of limerick i'm from ? but since your so riled by this its near the city centre.

I never claimed to be an animal expert just gave MY view which is what boards is for,

You seriously need to lighten up, since when did dog ****e need defending?, apologies if i offended any faeces.
    COP ON!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I work in Raheen industrial estate area, At lunch myself and workmates tend to go for an ol walk from time to time, all up the road from Raheen Church to Ballycummin used to be covered in Dog **** everyplace. It was so bad that we started to see signs being posted by the locals telling dog owners to clean up their dogs mess. Thankfully over time the problem has become less than an issue and the signs at least had some
    effect and made people think. (not 100% but the difference was noticeable)

Kinda annoy's me where I'm living when I see people that
    bring their dogs delibereatly to a green area away from a footpath to take a dump, and not clean it up after them.
    responsible owners carry the doggy bags to contain the mess but more often than not you get some ignorent dog walker that could not care a less.

It's like as though its Not OK to crap on the path and its just fine to crap on the grass in their opinion. When I see kids play and roll around on the grass or play football or play in general on a sunny day I gotta think of the dog poo thats in the area.

Horrible substance dog poo! when cycling if you manage to run over some its sticks to the wheels of bikes and you try running a hose over it or to cylce through puddles of water and it just does not want to go, unless you get down their with a cloth or scrubbing brush.

Got to wonder! mud washes off fine but **** sticks!

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

I think it some if has to with the change in how dogs are kept. When I was growing up all dogs were kept outside in the backyard, so their dog dirt would be in the back yard.
    Now though most dogs are house dogs and are brougth out for walks therefore the dog dirt ends up on pavements or public greens etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Persiancowboy

op I agree 100% with you. I posted a thread on this subject here not so long ago when on a visit home to Limerick I could not believe the amount of dog **** that was everywhere - particularly the Garryowen/Clare St area. Many of those who replied agreed - although as you have seen yourself there's always the one or two who still live and breathe the age-old siege mentality when it comes to criticism of anything to do with Limerick.

I have lived and worked in many different places (including Paris) and nowhere I have seen is as bad as Limerick for this problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I dont get why this causes such a fuss!?

It didnt bother us when we were growing up and frankly it doesnt bother me now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 notmyname79

I dont get why this causes such a fuss!?

It didnt bother us when we were growing up and frankly it doesnt bother me now!
    Probably doesnt bother you because maybe it doesnt affect you?.
    Try rolling a buggy or wheelchair up a path of a housing estate that already has a large number of cars parked partly on the path,Squeezing up the side trying to manoeuvre with the poo everywhere to avoid dragging it through your house on the wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭41Stan41

I have an theory that someone on the Ennis Road has a BABY ELEPHANT as a pet and they only bring it out for walks late at night.The aforementioned Baby Elephant then proceeds to crap all over the paths(have you seen the size of some of the heaps that are left behind)so not only do you have to swerve to avoid the crap sometimes the only option is to JUMP!!
    Then they let a gang of blind people out for a walk , who then seem to walk thru the mounds of crap and drag it all over the paths just to make avoidence even harder.

But thats just my theory!!

I am not bitter nor do have anything against BABY ELEPHANTS , just their uncaring owners.

Have a nice day

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

Been through this peach of a topic before. I've given up, if you can't beat them join em I say. I don't have a dog myself so I'm off to have a dump on the footpath. i can't see the problem with it myself.:rolleyes:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055529575

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

An File wrote: »
    Thirdly, I doubt you'd be so qualified an animal expert to be able to prove that dogs' instincts have changed drastically over 20-odd years.

Where did the OP say that dog's instincts have changed. (S)He said that dogs roaming free appear to have an instinct to poo off the pathway as there wasn't such as much dog crap all over the place when dogs mostly roamed free. Now that dogs are being walked by owners the crap is all over the foot paths which suggests that the owners have shown their dogs to go on them.

And I think the OP has a point, there is HUGE amounts of dog crap all along Clare St, Mulgrave Street and the streets that connect them, as that seems to be a popular circuit for dog walkers. I've also never seen anything like it anywhere else. At least in Paris the dogs mostly crap in the gutters rather than in the middle of the pavement. Residential areas of Paris are notably bad for dog crap everywhere, but Limerick is significantly worse. It's completely disgraceful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

you'd get a pain in your neck trying to keep looking down so as not to step into dog sh*te everywhere. Ennis Road, NCR, Caherdavin, Dock Road, Raheen, Thomondgate - its everywhere. People just don't give a sh*te where their dogs do it. Your right 41Stan41, some of the dumps are just huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Coming from a farming background, I was never unduly bothered by s**t of any shape or form, but I'm now an urbanite and as the previous poster, 'oh well' said, I was walking down the NCR last week and I had to do hop-skip & jump to avoid the diverse array of dog-turds prolifically scattered along the footpath at regular intervals.

It was the first time I was actually conscious of this issue and to be honest, I was disgusted with what I saw. I think it's time some of the pet-owners who exercise their canines along the NCR should take notice and make an effort to address the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Sh1t thread.

tippman1 wrote: »
    Coming from a farming background, I was never unduly bothered by s**t of any shape or form,

Possibly due to the fact that herbivores have a totally different type of sh!t to meat and dairy eaters. Dogs eat a lot of meat so their sh!t is far more offensive than a cow's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Dunno i've stepped in enough cowsh1te over the years and its much worse. As for dog crap, i remember it being a hell of a lot worse years ago. I'm in the mayorstone area.

Dunno i've stepped in enough cowsh1te over the years and its much worse.

Well cowsh!t's bigger, so if you step in it there is a good chance it will seep into your shoe.:) Dog crap smells worse though, especially if they have a meaty diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ghetto Cornetto

An File wrote: »
    First of all, your use of the word "epidemic" is a ridiculous show of exaggeration.

Secondly, at no point did you specify what part of Limerick you're talking about.

Cop on.

Internet.

Serious fvcking business.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

&-E wrote: »
    Internet.

Serious fvcking business.

I take it you don't have anything to say about the topic of the thread.
    Kindly fuck off please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Originally Posted by tippman1 View Post
    Coming from a farming background, I was never unduly bothered by s**t of any shape or form,
    Possibly due to the fact that herbivores have a totally different type of sh!t to meat and dairy eaters. Dogs eat a lot of meat so their sh!t is far more offensive than a cow's.

From my farming days as memory serves me:

Rated according to degree of offensiveness:

1: Calf (fed on milk)
    2: Goose (free range)
    3: Hen (free range)
    4: Cat
    5: Dog
    6: Pig (Fed on barley meal)
    7: Cow
    8: Horse
    8: Turkey
    9: Goat
    10: Sheep

A a kid I regularly cleaned out from all of the above and base my subjective findings entirely on olfactory memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Keep it civil, folks....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I actually think that in general it's got better, not worse. This is primarily down to the fact that there are far fewer stray dogs on the streets now than when I was growing up - loose dogs are either picked up by Limerick Animal Welfare or the dog warden. And slowly, peoples' attitudes are changing too, so they're less likely in most cases to let their dogs roam. There was a time when for most people, it was acceptable to open your side gate in the morning and let the dog entertain itself for the day on the streets.

The amount of dog-doos on the pavements when I was a kid was phenomenal. So was the stray dog problem.

Nowadays, if there's poo on the street, it's down to irresponsible dog ownership. People aren't civic-minded enough or too embarrassed to pick up after their dog. But part of the problem is that there aren't enough bins - who wants to pick up their dog's poo and then carry it with them for the rest of the walk? Ick. Another problem is that there's such poor enforcement. We don't have enough litter wardens to nab people in the act.

I agree that there are parts of Limerick where there is poo all over the shop but I still think that overall it's not as bad as it used to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭gottaluvlabs

boomerang wrote: »
    I actually think that in general it's got better, not worse. This is primarily down to the fact that there are far fewer stray dogs on the streets now than when I was growing up - loose dogs are either picked up by Limerick Animal Welfare or the dog warden. And slowly, peoples' attitudes are changing too, so they're less likely in most cases to let their dogs roam. There was a time when for most people, it was acceptable to open your side gate in the morning and let the dog entertain itself for the day on the streets.

The amount of dog-doos on the pavements when I was a kid was phenomenal. So was the stray dog problem.

Nowadays, if there's poo on the street, it's down to irresponsible dog ownership. People aren't civic-minded enough or too embarrassed to pick up after their dog. But part of the problem is that there aren't enough bins - who wants to pick up their dog's poo and then carry it with them for the rest of the walk? Ick. Another problem is that there's such poor enforcement. We don't have enough litter wardens to nab people in the act.

I agree that there are parts of Limerick where there is poo all over the shop but I still think that overall it's not as bad as it used to be.

whole heartedly agree, dog owner too, I have no problem picking up, usually double bag it because there are no bins..., lucky enough unless the dog gets over excited from off leash play in a field etc.. they dont go till they get home, or they stoop to wee on the green's alright but it could be seen as poo'ing.

I mean you cant stop a dog weeing on the grass, I know kids play etc.. but you also have rats/ mice walking all over green's I know we dont think there are any but of course there are, and they wee and poop as they walk so God only knows what our kids n animals are playing in.

I know someone in my estate has given out to another dog owner for her dog weeing in the grass, the dog owner asked, can you show me how you train them to wee in the bag please?

There is a lot of dog poo on the paths, but I do recall alot more than there is now. Of course this does prob depend on the area, have not walked on ncr or in thomondgate.
    I do recall walking along Park Road to Clare Street when we lived near there as being especially bad but since the scoop the poop or get fined signs went up I dont see as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭notonlybutalso

i have to say that i have noticed in certain parts of the city there is an unusually high amount of doggy dirt on paths, i would imagine that it is from ppl walking thier dogs as dogs do tend to go for grass to poo.:mad: ppl dont pick up after thir dogs here as much as say dublin maybe we are not so concerned about disease and children playing near it. but hey lets not fight over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

i have to say that i have noticed in certain parts of the city there is an unusually high amount of doggy dirt on paths, i would imagine that it is from ppl walking thier dogs as dogs do tend to go for grass to poo.:mad: ppl dont pick up after thir dogs here as much as say dublin maybe we are not so concerned about disease and children playing near it. but hey lets not fight over it.

I'd love to know what you were searching for that you discovered this year old thread?

"Dog ****e Limerick" or "epidemics limerick" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The thread is nearly a year old, folks.
    Start a new one if you want to discuss.

notonlybutalso - Please stop digging up old threads. This is the second one I've closed today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement