Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent deposit on first month - what is it for?

• 26-06-2009 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

My understanding is that it usually serves to cover the goods that are inside the apartment, in case anything is missing/broken on the check-out date. I can see it could make for a lot of other reasons, like trying to avoid runners (people who may leave w/o providing the appropriate notice to the landlord) etc.

I've only been in a rented apartment and will make a year in August that I arrived in this apartment. I already sent an email to my land lord stating that I am about to leave in the first week of next August (which makes precisely one year) but it wasn't a problem, as I never got any contract, so I was free to just move out at any time (in theory, of course). This was a direct rent with the landlord. During this year me and my ex, we bought some furniture and we emptied most of what was in the house already (the landlord basically came to pick up things). Now since I am about to move into a new apartment, I am going to bring part of this furniture along with me. Am I supposed to pay for the whole deposit, if I am already bring my own furniture, for the most part? Is this truly required, or should I try to negotiate this with the future landlord (or agency) in order to pay a less amount of deposit?

Thanks for your opinions.. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

the deposit is mainly in case you decide to "miss" a months rent or do some damage to the property.... or as you stated - leave before the end of a contract agreement.

the fact that you have your own furniture is your own business - just means that you will be bringing plenty of your own stuff to the new place (so lessens the chance of damaging the landlords stuff)

I dont think you will get any letting agent or landlord to lower the deposit.... industry standard is one months rent....no harm in asking I guess!!!!

Ps. when you do move out the landlord is entitled to hold onto the deposit for a calendar month - for any unpaid bills or to get repair works on damaged stuff etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,451 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You will most like have to pay the full deposit. A months deposit is nearly universal for residential properties.

You might ask for them to look at the rent, but there are no guarantees.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭gagomes

Fair enough. Thanks :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

PCPhoto wrote: »
    the deposit is mainly in case you decide to "miss" a months rent or do some damage to the property.... or as you stated - leave before the end of a contract agreement.

the fact that you have your own furniture is your own business - just means that you will be bringing plenty of your own stuff to the new place (so lessens the chance of damaging the landlords stuff)

I dont think you will get any letting agent or landlord to lower the deposit.... industry standard is one months rent....no harm in asking I guess!!!!

Ps. when you do move out the landlord is entitled to hold onto the deposit for a calendar month - for any unpaid bills or to get repair works on damaged stuff etc.

I don't think that is correct info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Deposits

You must return promptly any deposit paid by the tenant. The deposit may be retained or deductions made where there are

1) rent arrears
    2) costs incurred to repair damage above normal wear and tear
    Advertising or reletting costs are not normally valid reasons for withholding a deposit. It is illegal to hold tenant's goods in lieu of money owed.

If you feel that the deposit does not fully cover rent arrears or the costs of repairing the property, you can make an application to the Private Residential Tenancies Board (PRTB).

Did a bit of Googling.....SOURCE: http://www.threshold.ie/page.asp?menu=70&page=241

I cant find proof that the landlord may retain the deposit for a calander month ... but thats my understanding and what I was told by a friend who was a landlord.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

PCPhoto wrote: »
    .........I cant find proof that the landlord may retain the deposit for a calander month ... but thats my understanding and what I was told by a friend who was a landlord.

You can't find proof because it is not true. If the place is clean, undamaged, bills paid, rent up to date, and standard notice provided, the deposit should be returned at the time of returning the keys. There is no entitlement to retain deposit after this for any length of time.

Advertisement