Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone in Bedrooms

Options
  • 26-06-2009 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has done a DIY job of patching the phone line from the main provide up to any of the bedrooms, I pulled off the cover where the phone line is down stairs and there's lots of wires that i presume go to the other parts of the house where the rooms have white covers in the walls....

Thanks
    GN

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has done a DIY job of patching the phone line from the main provide up to any of the bedrooms, I pulled off the cover where the phone line is down stairs and there's lots of wires that i presume go to the other parts of the house where the rooms have white covers in the walls....

Thanks
    GN

Might be handier to get a cordless phone instead of running pylons up the stairs. Did you need a physical line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Get a set of DECT cordless phones. One unit is connected to the phone line, the others are just plugged into sockets as charging stations. If you take a look at the Argos catalogue you'll get an idea of them, you can pick up sets in Tesco too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 fabulusbakerboy

if it is the same as my one all you need to do is take off the covers and join the wires (make a conncetion by twining them round each other). When you take off the ocvers it should be pretty obvious which one to connect together in each room. That worked for me anyway, I have phone in one room and broadband in another.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 grey_newbie

Get a set of DECT cordless phones. One unit is connected to the phone line, the others are just plugged into sockets as charging stations. If you take a look at the Argos catalogue you'll get an idea of them, you can pick up sets in Tesco too.

Thanks but I was looking at the possibility of getting sky and apparently you need a phone line close to every tv so they can connect the box up to it..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Thanks but I was looking at the possibility of getting sky and apparently you need a phone line close to every tv so they can connect the box up to it..

When I was getting Sky put in, I got a long extension cord from Power City. He plugged the Sky box in to verify the connection and once he left I disconnected it. Its only used for online services (games, pay per view etc).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Matt Le Tissue

I think you need the phone line for Sky + but i could be wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

I think you need the phone line for Sky + but i could be wrong

Nah its only for the Sky games and Sky bet and the like. Once the box is up and running you can disconnect the phoneline at will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Sky say you need the box connected to a phone line for Sky+, supposedly to pevent you getting Sky+ and letting a neighbour (for example) piggy back on the one subscription.
    They claim to send a signal down the line every so often so will know if it's been disconnected. (Some people dispute this however).
    Anyway, if you want to be legit it is not necessary to run an extension phone line. Theres a product out there called "One for All" which you plug into a socket and your telephone line and then you plug the second unit where you want the second Sky connection.
    Can't remember the cost but not unreasonable and very simple to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

Got a set of these myself and they work a treat for Sky and Sky+ :)

I've seen them in both Maplin and Atlantic Homecare, but I'm sure you can get them elsewhere as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

my understanding is that they will only check the phoneline is connected if you have a multi-room subscription.

If you don't have multi-room, you can just run a long extension cable and then remove it after the installation (you do need the phoneline for pay-per-view though).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

loyatemu wrote: »
    If you don't have multi-room, you can just run a long extension cable and then remove it after the installation (you do need the phoneline for pay-per-view though).

That's what I did - the phone line was about 20 feet away from the box, and in a different room. The installer himself said to remove it when he left.

If you want multi-room, then you can also get video senders like this one. They're no good if you want to watch different channels in different rooms, but should work fine if you just want to be able to watch the same channel in a different room.

Advertisement