Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Information they need from tenant for the lease??

• 26-06-2009 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Are these the usual requirments:
    • PPS numbers,
    • References for Landlord and Employers
    • copy of passports
    • Bank statements.
    :confused:

I've never rented before and they say they need these before drawing up the lease. I don't even know anyone who rents.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Are you the tenant and the landlord/agent is asking for these from you before they agree to rent to you?

I've never had to give a copy of a passport, my PPS or bank details when renting a house as a tenant!!!

Usual stuff I've been asked for when taking out a lease on a house is the following: reference from previous landlord and a reference from your employer.

I have occasionally been asked to provide a "permanent" address for future contact, ie an address you can be reached at once your tenancy ends and you move out (in case mail needs to be forwarded, or outstanding bills settled, usually this address would be an address of a sibling/parent etc who you know will be at that address in years to come).

TBH I would never hand over a bank statement to a landlord or their agent (why on earth would they need this?), nor would I ever hand over a copy of my passport. Sounds very suspect IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 queen of hearts

echosound wrote: »
    Are you the tenant and the landlord/agent is asking for these from you before they agree to rent to you?

QUOTE]

Thanks for your reply.

I'm the tenant and it sounded strange to me too. I'm a legal secretary so usually i would ask my boss straight away, but it would be the one time he's on holidays.

I might give a vague outline of my contact details and ask them to call me and then just give them my works name and details too, that way I can get in touch with my boss between now and then.

I honestly can't see a reason either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

That's the best course of action - just give them your contact details (contact ph number) and definitely don't go giving copies of your bank statements, passport, or PPS number to them!

I have been renting various properties for about 12 years now, and have dealt with many landlords direct, and also with agencies (I think in total about 8 different properties/tenancies as I moved a lot for work until recently), and never once in all that time/those 8 different tenancies, have they ever asked for any of the above.

As I said - whenever I am signing a lease, all I am asked for are ref. letters from employer, previous landlord, and contact details. If they wanted to check I am who I say I am, they rang my employer and verify I was "me". I would be very wary about giving PPS no, passport and bank statement as they have all they need for identity theft right there.

In fact, the very fact they are asking for this suggests to me they are either a) scammers or b) first time landlords who haven't a clue what to ask for and are asking for everything they can think of in an effort to cover their asses from all angles. Ask them why these items are necessary, and if you don't get a straight answer, no matter how much you might like the property, I'd be going elsewhere TBH.

If they want proof of your identity, give them no more than a previous utility bill or at a push, a bank statement/visa card statement with all irrelevant details blanked out (ie just leave your name and address, blank out all transactions, card/account numbers, etc).
    It is none of their business seeing what is in your bank account, and defo none of their business seeing your account and branch number/card number etc.

best of luck with finding a place, and hopefully your boss will be able to give you a hand with the legal/lease side of things when he's back!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

The PPS no. is needed to register the letting with the PRTB. Proof of identity is also a requirement of many estate agents. If you gave a false name and pps no. and then defaulted on the rent, the EA could be sued.
    You should not give bank statements. References can be exchanged between banks if required. This has been done for many years.
    The trouble with handing over all of the information required is that identity theft can easily be carried out. Considerable care is needed when handing over personal details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Are these the usual requirments:
    • PPS numbers,
    • References for Landlord and Employers
    • copy of passports
    • Bank statements.
    :confused:

I've never rented before and they say they need these before drawing up the lease. I don't even know anyone who rents.

Any help greatly appreciated.

i have rented a few places over the last few years and have only ever been asked for a reference from my employer and a reference from my previous landlord,
    bank statements are nobodys business but your own,and the same for a copy of your passport,i dont have a clue what they are at asking for them,
    a pps number and 2 references would be enough,if they ring your employer they can verify who you are,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I've just signed a lease myself. Required were PPS number, employer and previous landlord reference.

Passport and bank statements strike me as overkill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,767 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

A photocopy of your passport should suffice, but ask for a copy in return of the landlords.

PPS and reference (possibly work ref) is normal. Do NOT give bank statements.

Advertisement