Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young family moving from dublin to cork -HELP

Options
  • 26-06-2009 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Not familiar with Cork at all, family moving for work reasons, work will be based in city centre. Where to live with a bit of life? city or suburbs? Like to have amenities nearby...parks shops etc. or maybe its time to try a bit of the quieter life. Open to options.
    confused...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭BarneyMagee

Living within the city bounds probably the nicest areas would be in Blackrock in the South East or Douglas and Rochestown in the south city.
    Further out, but not too far are the suburban towns of Glanmire in the North East. Passage West, Monkstown, Carrigaline in the lower Harbour. Ballincollig out west.

The thing about Cork is that the traffic is never too bad. Not compared to Dublin anyway. The morning commutes would only be about 30 minutes max.

You could go for the very peaceful out towards Kinsale and still be in work in the city centre within a reasonable time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

I agree with the post above, also you should look at carrigtwohill. They are opening a new train line straight from the city in july.
    Its a small town but has good schools, and lots of sports. Castle lake is the new estate there and the houses are gorgeous!
    You should really look up daft.ie and get a feel for the prices and areas and take a visit down before you move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 drumcondra

thanks for that much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

I'm living in the city. But have always wanted to live in passage west.lovely lovely Spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

at a glance i was going to suggest the lough area, i used to live near there, its a nice area, walking distance to city, buses, shops, the lough....

if you want somewhere further out of the city maybe blarney? I am living in shanakiel (there are still houses for sale in my estate which is new) and its close to town, close to blarney, shops on north side (a little rough but im a country girl)....

welcome in advance to cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Hey OP,

As others have said, the traffic here is nothing like Dublin. Sorry that I'm not familiar with where you live now, but Blackrock, Douglas and Rochestown would I think be areas to consider, for a family. Rents are very negotiable here, as most places I suppose and you can get a new family home pretty much anywhere in the 'burbs from around €1-1.5k p.m. Check daft.ie. Renting might be an option, while you orientate yourself.
    You may want to think about asking the HR person, or your new boss or a peer in the work that you're moving to, to give you a tour of the city and the 'burbs to give you a basic orientation. Its something I'd happily do for a colleague moving here from a distance away. Weekends the traffic is negligible and you could see most places in a few hours/half a day.
    Places like Douglas have a little social scene of their own, even though they're only ten minutes drive from the city, but if you go out to towns like Kinsale etc that are commutable, they can get very quiet in winter.
    Choosing where to live is such a subjective thing, you gotta come check the place out I'd say and local knowledge will keep you right.

Enjoy Cork. Its a fab city, partly cause its so compact and easy to walk around. And Corkonians love talking about Cork and what makes it tick.
    I'm a blow-in and this is one of the places I've lived where I've been very happy.

Anything else you might wanna ask, feel free to PM me if you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

Hi, I'd also recommend Douglas as it's outside the city centre but has it's own village. There's loads of shops / pubs / amenities plus large supermarkets (and now the new tesco is open with a free multi story carpark which is great).

There are a few schools for the children and there's evening courses for adults in Douglas Community School.

Douglas has a good nightlife. There's no night club but a few pubs that open late.

Also, even though it's not far from the city centre it's a short drive to the beaches / countryside. You'll actually find that about Cork - you're never very far from the countryside even if you're close to the city. The city centre is much smaller than Dublin so even though you'll find most of the high street shops that are in Dublin, it's easy to navigate around for newcommers.

Rochestown is also nice - this is about 5 mins away from Douglas so you'll get to enjoy the Douglas night life too. There's also a nice local pub for quieter nights (they do lovely bbq's too).

God, I sound like someone from Bord Failte here :)

Good luck with the move. Hope you enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Can I suggest the Lough/Ballyphehane area?
    Nice area, good size houses with gardens for the kids. Good ameneties, decent schools, shops, etc. Very close to town with good bus service in if you don't feel like strolling.
    Welcome to Cork Drumcondra (eh....you might consider changing that name too :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Rebel_City

Hey there Druncondra! I'm originally from Cork but living in Dublin for 4 years now. Love it up here, but if I was to move back to Cork, I'd either go for The Lough/Glasheen, Bishopstown or Douglas/Rochestown area.

Bishopstown is a large suburb, good bus route to town. Near a sizeable shopping centre, has great primary and secondary schools and a couple of nice little bars etc….It's a good area and would similar to perhaps Stillorgan - but way closer to the city centre.

The Lough/Glasheen would be very close to the city centre. Mature areas, but really nice and a good mix of houses in the area. The Lough itself is a big lake which has a playground, bar etc….an oasis in the middle of the city. Great schools in the area as well - Glasheen Primary School. And there are frequent buses to the city if you don't fancy the 20/25 min walk…depending on where you're coming from/going to! I grew up in this area, so am I bias! Like Dublin, areas blend into other areas, some nice, some not so nice…..

Douglas/Rochestown would be really nice areas. Rochestown would be quite a wealthy area….C4! haha… Douglas has great shops, places to eat and v close to town as well. It's self contained just like say Blackrock in Dublin….but again waaay closer!

Cork's a great city, and West Cork is fantastic! It's hard to tell someone where to live in a city. Going by 'Drumcondra', you're use to being close to the city centre and have plenty of bars/corner shops nearby!

Visit Cork, have a drive around, rent here and there…..I've been in Dublin 4 years and I've moved 3 times….hard to pick somewhere straight off! Best of luck! PM me if you want any more info! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

depends on what you need, although i'd be slow to recommend douglas tbh, it's extremely congested and difficult to access. also, the smell from the dump is unbearable in moderately warm temperatures. people tend to forget that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

as mire said, Douglas is quite a traffic blackspot sometimes but I feel it is getting better (or maybe I'm avoiding it at the heavy times).

I live in Passage West, tis grand, I'm a blow-in too! We have a young family too and Passage is grand for us, close to Douglas without the high price tag on houses (may not apply these days:) ), there is a really nice walk along the river heading in both directions (Monkstown or towards Rochestown and on to Blackrock).
    Yes, there are little sh*ites hanging around the place but hey, this is Ireland, ya get them everywhere.

I'm living in the city. But have always wanted to live in passage west.lovely lovely Spot.

hmm, it isn't that lovely is it?? Maybe I'm missing something :)

Oleander wrote: »
    That's what I thought, what are we missing in Cork City?? I'm from Dublin and Cork City is just a smaller version of Dublin City.

I was on about Passage West.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

hmm, it isn't that lovely is it?? Maybe I'm missing something :)

Maybe you haven't heard, but Passage has a EuroSpar now so it must be a great place to live :p

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

I'm in carrigaline myself and its grand same as most commuter towns depending on whether your starting work at 8 or 9 the commute would be 20 min or around 35 respectively. Like every other town around the country ya have your scumbags on every corner but they're not real scumbags if ya know what i mean. However if i were moving i'd probably pick douglas or ballincollig there only a tiny bit closer to the city but a better night life and better served by public tranport. If your opting for town definately head out to the lough its a great spot for kids and is a reasonable walk into town presuming your working on the southside, but like most people from the southside i'm lost once i cross the river but i'm sure there are some nice places over there too but you'd have to ask a norry about that!

Advertisement