Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MA Thesis

Options
  • 26-06-2009 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

I am just about to enter into a MA in History... did people know exactly what they wanted to write their thesis on or what?

I am a little concerned. I completed the application fine. I enjoyed history in undergraduate but I have no idea really what I would like to write my thesis on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Dont stress on the thesis!

Take it in for a few weeks, get some ideas, see what you like.

Plenty of time for your research, just enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

If you've already been accepted to a Masters course, you'll probably have narrowed down a time period. Re. a thesis topic: have you a particular area that you enjoy reading abt - i.e. Do you prefer political, social, sports history, etc?

If you can narrow down your preferances as above call up to the department or contact the module/course director and have a chat to them as they'd be the best person to advise you. Or you could contact a lecturer in the area in which you're interested and ask for their input.

Don't stress too much. A lot of people often don't know what they want to do for their thesis, while those who do find that their thesis topic will change from their initial proposal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

If the thesis is part of a taught masters course you probably won't have to pick your topic for a while. Research proposals usually come about when you find something interesting in a lecture, tutorial or through your own reading and start to expand it and ask what if?

I think ideas will occur to you when you start the course, I really wouldn't worry about it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Leopardi

Given that students have contact with their supervisors during the writing of a thesis, is it easier for a student to predict their probable grade than in a standard essay submission procedure?

Advertisement