Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackerel fish in Woodstown

Options
  • 26-06-2009 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Just went for a wander in Woodstown this evening at full tide around 8:30pm. The beach was empty enough, but out in the water I could hear what sounded like rocks falling into the water. When I looked out, I could see loads of very big fish jumping up out of the water about 20m out. I'm only going mad I didnt have a fishing rod with some of the little mirror lures because I'd have had fresh mackerel for 20 people for the weekend.

Is this a normal occurrence? I mean I'm wicked excited by this like :D
    Recession = Free fish!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

Trotter wrote: »
    Just went for a wander in Woodstown this evening at full tide around 8:30pm. The beach was empty enough, but out in the water I could hear what sounded like rocks falling into the water. When I looked out, I could see loads of very big fish jumping up out of the water about 20m out. I'm only going mad I didnt have a fishing rod with some of the little mirror lures because I'd have had fresh mackerel for 20 people for the weekend.

Is this a normal occurrence? I mean I'm wicked excited by this like :D
    Recession = Free fish!

lol..... anything free is good man !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Oh nice one, my son (13) caught a fish, pollock I think on Thursday night and hubby caught another one on Friday night in Dunmore East but no mackerel.

My son is pestering his dad to go fishing most evenings if the tide is high. I think they'll be heading to Woodstown tonight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭ianoo

hate to bust your bubble lads but they were most likely mullet not mackeral and we all know what mullet eat :eek:

ian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

ianoo wrote: »
    hate to bust your bubble lads but they were most likely mullet not mackeral and we all know what mullet eat :eek:

ian

They were mackerel alright.. I cought a heap of em when I brought my rod :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Is Woodstown a safe place to eat fish/cockles etc from??? Was out there last week and a JCB was digging sand away to allow a "stream" to flow into it...it wasnt exactly reassuring!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭JackM_79

wellbutty wrote: »
    Is Woodstown a safe place to eat fish/cockles etc from??? Was out there last week and a JCB was digging sand away to allow a "stream" to flow into it...it wasnt exactly reassuring!

Yes it is safe to eat fish/cockles from there, there is a large oyster farm on the sand bank in woodstown as well, most of the oysters are exported to France so the water quality is strictly monitored.

As for the cockles, you'd be doing well to get a feed of them in woodstown these days. They were wiped out a couple of years ago when some lad from the north came down and sucked them all up. There were officials from the dept of the marine out here a few weeks ago looking for samples to test. It took them 2 days to get a couple of buckets of them.

The "stream" is exactly that, its actually called the river douglas and it originates in one of the large hills between Woodstown and Dunmore East, the digger was most likely digging it out as it will flood up stream if left for a long time blocked up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Thanks JackM_79, lots of good stuff I didnt know there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭calerbass

It is a normal occurrence ok, Mackeral break the water going after small sprats,where you can see a right example of this is in cobh, normally this month August they come in, and if your on the pier when they are you ll see them in their hundreds breaking the water going after the small sprats which will be in their thousands.

Advertisement