Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

holidaying in donegal ????

Options
  • 26-06-2009 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

hello donegaligans :)

the lady friend and my self are looking for a getaway break in early august in donegal ,

basicially looking for a bit of local knowledge on where to stay what to do when to do it etcetc

any help welcome and appriciated !!!

cheers guys and gals

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Depends what you're looking for exactly.. What sort of break do you want..relaxing/activities/sightseeing? What sort of place do you want to stay in etc

Letterkenny is a good base for anywhere in the north, west & centre of the county but probably a bit far if you're looking to go anywhere in the south. From LK you can visit Glenveagh National Park, Inishowen, Fanad etc. There's usually a lot of Festivals that time of year as well so there should be plenty going on around the county

If by getaway break you mean somewhere to relax then somewhere like Harvey's Point or Lough Eske would be ideal if you've got a bit of money to spend

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Theres an old thread here that contains a couple of useful links

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭weiss

i could recommend you visit Glencolmcille in early august, as there would be some music festivals during first 2 weeks.

Slieve League is not far from here which imo everyone visiting donegal should see once :)

its a tough trek to the top though, but well worth it for the views..especially on a good day when sun is setting, its an amazing sight :D

Around that area is a walkers paradise, but you might not be interested in walking much..
    Atlantic drive might interest you.. Glenveagh and ards park which are close to each other, errigal/muckish if you like hillwalking.

fanad drive, inishowen area..

as said, probably depends on where you're staying in donegal and how far you'd be willing to travel by foot or car.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

If it's the bank holiday weekend yous are about for i'm sure there is a few festivals around. I know Rathmullen has one that ends with boat races etc on the monday.

and it's also a really nice part of the county to boot and i'm not just sayin that cause it's my hometown.

But as harps said what are you interested in doin (apart from the obvious :p)

Advertisement