Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overgrown Evergreen Trees

Options
  • 26-06-2009 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭

Hi. I could use a bit of advice. I have absolutely no clue when it comes to gardening!

My front garden has no less than six very large, very overgrown evergreen trees, totally unsuitable for a front garden. I don't know what type they are - I've tried googling but have not found a species that matches what's in the garden. Like I say, I am clueless on this subject.

The trees are badly in need of pruning - they are blocking all light in the front room. I don't know where to begin. I am worried about making a terrible mess of them and being left with an even more severe eyesore in the front garden than right now.

Can anyone advise me on where to begin? What equipment should I buy - is there a guidebook that would help me? Or - how much would I pay someone to do this? And who would do it - a landscape gardener?

Thanks in advance. I'm lost!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 stoblerone

Call an 'insured' tree surgeon and make sure he/she is actually insured.

Take it from an amateur (me!), don't try to do it yourself. I have a dodgey shoulder to prove it.

If you get a 'handy person' to do it you might risk a claim against ur house insurance if he or she takes a tumble or the severed tree or branches tumble onto ur neighbour's garden, car etc.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 billy1

I'd imagine they are one of the versions of the fir.

Have they all joined into one long hedge at this stage or are they still all separate.

I think a tree surgeon is a bit extreme, not to mention costly.

What height are they now?

Generally, they can be cut easily in the central pole and then shaped, either way you will get a flat top on them and provided you do not overdo the trimming, they will look good.

I do a bit of gardening and if you want to pm a photo I could tell you what you need to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 stoblerone

Sorry about being extreme, was thinking with me legal hat.

Advertisement