Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting to neighbours bb.

Options
  • 26-06-2009 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

My neighbour recently got bb in. Due to the fact that my line is a carrier i cannot at the moment. He has agreed to share his bb and im wondering can an anyone tell me in layman's terms how I can connect to it. The house is about 10 metres at most from mine but I cant pick the signal up with my pc. Is there a way to boost the signal and will it still be fast?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

With standard Wifi, it'll be as dodgy as hell, and even if you do pick it up, slow. There's no simple solution. Sharing broadband between two houses is not really a solution, investigate other possibilities first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Try this, since it has DD-WRT it can act as a client to your neighbours router and might get a good enough signal otherwise, if not you'd need two of em at each end.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You need WiFi Bridges in weatherpoof box outdoor.

Longer distance (5km) via a pair of MMDS type dish with WiFi aerial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

watty wrote: »
    You need WiFi Bridges in weatherpoof box outdoor.

Longer distance (5km) via a pair of MMDS type dish with WiFi aerial.

And don't forget the 3 phase electricity and the 50 mtr tower to mount the dish on :eek:

FFS, Its only 10 mtrs max.

Corcs, see if your neighbour can site his wireless near a window facing your house.
    On your end, if the antenna detatches from the card, you can get an aerial with a cable that you can mount at your window.

MMmmm hugs 50m tower :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if it's only 10m, it might even be feasible to run an ethernet cable.

either that or (assuming it's not practical for him to move his router) he could put a wireless repeater in the part of his house closest you yours which may extend his coverage. would probably only be fair if you paid for that though. :)

if his router has removable antenna you might be able to get bigger ones or even use a directional antenna, maybe even get yourself one too and just point them at each other.

there's plenty of options, but you might want someone to take a look at it for you. maybe a boardsie might even live close to you who may be willing, where do you live (roughly)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

The obvious question is....what kind of modem/router does he have?

If he doesnt have a separate router, consider investing in a Linksys WRT54G/GL/GR (versions up to 4.0 are preferable as they have 4mb of flash memory...later versions only have 2mb). You can install new firmware which will enable you to boost the output power from 28mw to around 150mw. Then put it in his attic!
    You'll pick one up for small money on ebay if you keep your eyes open.

On your end, investing in ANY outboard antenna will increase the range of your PC's wireless capabilities. The higher the dB value of the antenna, the better.
    Some wireless cards also allow you to increase the output of the onboard amplifier.

Now the really kinky bit....if you invest in a SECOND WRT54, the latest firmware allows you to run it in repeater mode with effectively mirrors the output and input from and to the first WRT54 (or any other router). Ive set one up in a big house in Wexford and they now have wireless broadband in both wings ;-)

Hope this helps.

E

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

....and I thought this thread was about hacking next door's WEP code.....

:-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,200 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I 'know someone' who has no problem sharing BB between their house and the neighbour across the road (about12-15m away), using a Belkin N Wireless router. The neighbour gets the best signal if close to their window. It may technically be illegal to share the connection like this, I'm not sure. Of course I'll let the person know if it turns out someone knows for sure it's illegal.

OP - it's possible that the neighbour's network ID (SSID) is hidden, so you would not necessarily see it in your available networks.
    If your neighbour set up the wireless network in their house, they should have the know how to add you to it. It may be as simple as giving you a pass phrase. It depends how much security they have their end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It would be against the terms and conditions, but how would they prove it, or even investigate?

The negihbour would also be liable for anything you do (think eircom and the file-sharing case), which is why they really shouldn't be allowing it. I wouldn't do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Corcs001 wrote: »
    My neighbour recently got bb in. Due to the fact that my line is a carrier i cannot at the moment. He has agreed to share his bb and im wondering can an anyone tell me in layman's terms how I can connect to it. The house is about 10 metres at most from mine but I cant pick the signal up with my pc. Is there a way to boost the signal and will it still be fast?

Thanks.
    I give you Waterproof Ethernet Cables... in every colour ;-)

41JlY2S%2BcNL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Clicky!

Usually an ISP will agree to you sharing their connection, but want paid more. OTH you may need a higher Cap the more people use the connection. Again, the ISP would regard a connection used by different users as non-residential and will have a higher Cap, but at a higher price.

Policies vary by ISP and type of connection. With Metro & Cable, it's possible to have several modems on the one cable, by arrangement with the ISP, with no degradation.

DSL can only have one modem.

With 3G/HSPA, Clearwire or Ripwave, two modems in the same place is slower than one modem shared via Dovado/Dlink/Netgear/linksys etc Router!

Galvanic isolation and/or earthing is important between two premises as they are likely on separate phases. Ethernet 10/100/1000 baseT (twisted pair) does have galvanic isolation. Obviously inherent using WiFi.

As a rough rule of thumb an ISP won't much care if the usage is low and one person can't get BB. If both people CAN get BB, or the usage is high then the ISP will care very much.

Advertisement