Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strawberries off shoots - Cut them off or nurture a new plant ?

Options
  • 26-06-2009 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Ive never grown strawberries from seed, always got them from off shoots.
    Currently our 10 plants have green berries, not yet ripe and off shoots.

Should I change my ways?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭cormywormy

i think you should cut off runners, it will let the growth into the plant and the strawberries. Let 1/4 of your plants grow runners for plants for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

you need to control the runners as last year we bought 6 plants from lidls and let them do their stuff ended up digging over 130 plants.on gardeners world they said let the first plant take root on the runner then cut the runner after that one.either leave it in the ground to root or put in a pot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 mickeymoney

Ive never grown strawberries from seed. Will they bear fruit year 1?

i.e. Are off shoots better?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

bugsntinas wrote: »
    you need to control the runners as last year we bought 6 plants from lidls and let them do their stuff ended up digging over 130 plants.on gardeners world they said let the first plant take root on the runner then cut the runner after that one.either leave it in the ground to root or put in a pot.

Me too bugsntinas. I had 4 plants last year with not a strawberry to be seen :mad: but lots and lots of runners. This year I have about 100 plants and so far have brought in approx 12-14lb's of strawberries so far with lots more green ones waiting in the wings.

I would say let the runners run! Get a couple of plants from each runner, let the fact that you may get no fruit this year go by and focus on next year.

I also feed mine every week with tomato food which they adore :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 mickeymoney

Me too bugsntinas. I had 4 plants last year with not a strawberry to be seen :mad: but lots and lots of runners. This year I have about 100 plants and so far have brought in approx 12-14lb's of strawberries so far with lots more green ones waiting in the wings.

I would say let the runners run! Get a couple of plants from each runner, let the fact that you may get no fruit this year go by and focus on next year.

I also feed mine every week with tomato food which they adore :D

Tomato food on strawberries? You will end up with Strawtoes:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I have a strawberry plant growing in a big pot and it's going a bit nuts with new shoots every day. should i separate them into separate pots to allow for more growth or will this kill it doing it at this time of year. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Hi All;

I am doing the whole strawberry thing for the first time this year. I have 2 hanging baskets with 3 plants in each.

I am getting fruit now but now there is alot of runners growing, should i cut these off and plant them in a pot, if so will i have these ones for next year?

Will the strawberry plants in the basket die in autumn or will they last ?

Thanks

Advertisement