Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE LAKES 10K, Blessington

Options
  • 26-06-2009 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi All,
    I just wanted to let fellow runners know about the inaugrual running of 'The Lakes 10k' in Blessington, Co. Wicklow on the 10/09/09 (one week before the Dublin Half so should be a good training run!). This will be a fun event for runners/joggers but with a competitive element for those who what to go for gold.
    It wil be run around part of the beautiful Blessington lake on a fast, flat and scenic route and will have the following features:
    Chip timing
    AAI permit
    Accurate measurement (Jones counter)
    Bespoke Technical T-Shirt
    €1200 in prizes
    Goodie bag and more
    This is a charity event also and the registration fee is €28.
    ALL proceeds go to The Cystic Fibrosis Association of Ireland.
    One of our club member has a child with CF hence this is our chosen charity and truely worthy of a helping hand.
    In relation to the fee we realise it's at the top end but we decided early on to add features like a Technical T-shirt, chip timing, goodie bag etc. to attract runners into the event and hopefully build on this for next year. The lack or a title sponsor as of yet means costs are high. Over half of the fee is already going to the cost of the Technical T-shrit (the likes of which would cost more to buy in a shop).
    You can register online at:
    www.lakeshorestriders.com
    Hope to see you there on the day. Many thanks.

Yours in running

Shane Connolly

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 irelandshane

Hi,
    I just wanted to respond to some feedback. Some people have suggested the fee was too high even with a technical t-shirt so we have put a new option on the online entry page to sign up without getting a technical t-shirt which reduces the fee to €18 which may be more aggreeable to some. Thanks.

www.lakeshorestriders.com for online entry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Hi,
    I just wanted to respond to some feedback. Some people have suggested the fee was too high even with a technical t-shirt so we have put a new option on the online entry page to sign up without getting a technical t-shirt which reduces the fee to €18 which may be more aggreeable to some. Thanks.

Hello,

I would be very interested in this event. I have never ran the 10k distance before so this is an opportunity to set a time. I note from the website though that it says online registration available shortly.

When do you think it will be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi,

Fair dues to you Irelandshane. That's a very helpful approach. Hopefully other race organisers will follow your example. Now if you could just accommodate me by moving the race either forwards or backwards by three weeks, so it's not the day before the Berlin Marathon, I'll be very happy. :)

By the way, you got the date wrong in your post above. It's actually:
    Saturday 19th September

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

When do you think it will be available.
    Seems to be open now.
    http://www.activeglobal.com/Events/index.cfm?AC=EventDetails_V2&E=79281

Thanks for pointing that out Krusty_Clown about me putting the incorrect date on my original post. It's actually the 19/09/2009, my mistake and I blame my fat fingers!

Also, the registration is open online and I'm not sure where you saw that it would be online shortly as it has been open online for a few weeks now so have another look at our site and you'll see the buttons to enter on the home page osnola ivax. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭rdunne

Thanks for pointing that out Krusty_Clown about me putting the incorrect date on my original post. It's actually the 19/09/2009, my mistake and I blame my fat fingers!

Also, the registration is open online and I'm not sure where you saw that it would be online shortly as it has been open online for a few weeks now so have another look at our site and you'll see the buttons to enter on the home page osnola ivax. Thanks

Great idea to give the option on the t-shirt. It will make me much more open to doing it. well done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

rdunne wrote: »
    Great idea to give the option on the t-shirt. It will make me much more open to doing it. well done

+1 to that.

For me I love the technical t-shirts but I can definitely see the attraction of a no t-shirt/cheaper entry option for a lot of people.

Democracy in action!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Fairplay on the entry option €28 and I may not have done it €18 makes it a better option, nice to see race directors taking feedback :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Joel_Eire

Hi Guys,

I'm new to running, did the addidas 5 mile in the park in 50 mins.
    I see there are only 400 in this race, would it be suitable for someone at my level?
    I really don't fancy entering and running up against hardened runners and basically just being in the way.

Thanks for any advice.

JoeL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Joel_Eire wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I see there are only 400 in this race, would it be suitable for someone at my level?
    I really don't fancy entering and running up against hardened runners and basically just being in the way.

Thanks for any advice.

JoeL

Your welcome to join me at the back of the pack as I aspire to 10 x 6 min Kms (or should that be 10 x 5.59 min Kms):P

• Advertisement

Hi JoeL,
    this run would be fine for you. I'd imaging you'd be able to complete it in just under the hour. On our registration page we ask people their estimated time, some have put 32min which is exceptional and others have put 1h:30min so we have a wide range. I think you sould come and join us. It's our first time hosting a race and the first time in over 20 years a race will be held in this area. We're getting a real run on numbers so have a think and decide sonn is what I'd suggest. We won't be in a position to accept entrys on the day. Thanks.
    Joel_Eire wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for any advice.

JoeL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Joel_Eire

I'm in, just registered and put in 1 hour.
    Hopefully some good training over the next few weeks I can beat that.
    See you all there.

Joel

Hi All, just to say the entries are closing for this event this week and we're almost full so if you're thinking of enterinf better do so sooner then later. Thanks
    S

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

good luck with your race, but how about stop spamming the imra and bhaa forums with your race?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Ill be there, cant wait. A nice flat course again. Time to destroy my 10K PB from last year hopefully. :)

This is a charity race and the whole idea of putting the race details on the bhaa and imra forum was to inform a large base of runners about it. Spam is technically defined as something that is both unsolicited and sent in bulk. I wouldn't dream of using these forums if they were only for registered users but since they were open to public views and posts I thought it would be ok. If a moderator asked me to remove them then I would. I've received alot of unhelpful comments throughtout the organisation of the race that would'nt go into the constructive criticism bracket so perhaps your comments aren't necessary! Thank's for the well wishes for the race itself.
    emerald007 wrote: »
    good luck with your race, but how about stop spamming the imra and bhaa forums with your race?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

emerald007 wrote: »

Bit harsh?! I'm already registered but I saw the reminder on IMRA and now I can remind my sister to register before it's too late.

I've missed a fair few closing dates in my time so I appreciate the reminder. As long as people aren't bumping posts on a daily basis I don't see where the problem is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Bit harsh?! I'm already registered but I saw the reminder on IMRA and now I can remind my sister to register before it's too late.

I've missed a fair few closing dates in my time so I appreciate the reminder. As long as people aren't bumping posts on a daily basis I don't see where the problem is.

+1

Stephen has only mentioned it here a couple of times and it sounds like a great race, not sure if I can make it myself but best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Just signed up for this, see you guys there:)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

Ran this race this morning and I have to say it was really great. Great atmosphere, great scenery, tough hill 3/4s of the way through, really well organised.

I have to say a big well done to all involved in setting up and organising the race!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

+1

Small PB but a PB all the same:D

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭AJCOT

Really well organised with huge number of stewards to help ensure this. Parking was easy & I'll even forgive that sneaky hill because of the witty signage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 tuvi

Soon photos from The Lakes 10K :
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/alituv/

Daniel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

I though the samba band were great and what about those muffins at the end! Even got a nice goodie bag.
    Good value at 20 bob. One of the best organised events this year.

And I pocketed a nice PB also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

My first 10km race, really enjoyed the course the last few km were great. Had to make a pit stop on the hill, only lost one place so not too bad, finished on my garmin 35min 58sec. Credit to the organisation, with the chip timing, muffins, marshalls etc. All of the funds go to charity, makes it more worthwile. Defo do next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

heffsarmy wrote: »
    Had to make a pit stop on the hill, only lost one place

Heh heffsarmy that was probably me passing you there. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Were you in a blue top? I tried to catch you but could'nt close the gap :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 tuvi

And photos soon on Racepix 365...
    If anyone is looking for himself just email me Bib number:

kowalczyk@hot.pl

Daniel

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I probably wont look for pics, I doubt theyre pretty but ta, anyway.:)

I just did this event, and want to say well done to the organisers. Run like clockwork, with water and sports drink, and LEMON MUFFINS at the finish. Smiling stewards to help out everywhere, brilliant markings, including the Phew! sign at the top of that hill.

Goodie bag was full of lovely stuff too. One to repeat, and recommend for next year. Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I just posted on the other thread, maybe a mod could merge? Agree with all of the above, big round of applause to the organisers for a job well done.

Advertisement