Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE LAKES 10K, Blessington

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

heffsarmy wrote: »
    Were you in a blue top? I tried to catch you but could'nt close the gap :D

Yes and you were in the blue Ron hill one?

I was hoping no one would overtake me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Oryx wrote: »
    I probably wont look for pics, I doubt theyre pretty but ta, anyway.:)

I just did this event, and want to say well done to the organisers. Run like clockwork, with water and sports drink, and LEMON MUFFINS at the finish. Smiling stewards to help out everywhere, brilliant markings, including the Phew! sign at the top of that hill.

Goodie bag was full of lovely stuff too. One to repeat, and recommend for next year. Cheers!
    Yeah couldnt agree more, ran like clockwork, good parking and started on time. Just that hill:p

Found this quote on the website organising the race:
    10k around the beautiful Blessington Lakes. Fast, flat and scenic. AAI permit. Chip timing. Technical T's for runners. Goodie Bags and extras!! Online entry open, check down our home page.
    By no stretch of the imagination was that flat:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Tawfee

congrats to the organisers on what was easily the most enjoyable 10k so far in my fledgling running 'career'. Particularly liked the helpful sign at the bottom of the hill, helped psyche myself up for the climb! twas really nice to be running out in the countryside for a change. Best goody bag i've received so far, & the lemon muffin was a nice touch too. Hopefully, the Lakes 10K will be a fixture for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

As suggested, threads merged to avoid duplication.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Wikey

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone involved today . Twas my first 10km and have to agree with others who said event was really well organised. Twas great to see all the stewards cheering everyone on also.....God did I need it. Felt like I was going backwards on that hill at one stage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

So glad the weather got a bit nicer once the race started - and I was only at the sidelines.

First batch of photos from the Blessington 10k now uploaded. More to follow.

GoHard took the right approach and introduced himself before the race ensuring at least one photo! Congrats by the way, you looked well up the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭petermijackson

So glad the weather got a bit nicer once the race started - and I was only at the sidelines.

GoHard took the right approach and introduced himself before the race ensuring at least one photo! Congrats by the way, you looked well up the field.

Great photos - thanks, they look good!!!

Weather was great and well organised event...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Ya thanks SP. Seen a couple of meself - no. 360. Sorry I didn't spot you before hand

Abhainn wrote: »
    Ya thanks SP. Seen a couple of meself - no. 360. Sorry I didn't spot you before hand

I was hiding trying to keep warm and dry before the race - bloody sunny when I left home! I see tuvi posted a nice one of you - smiling with 500m to go while running 36 minutes.

I've just added the rest of mine - Gohard with both feet off the ground, likewise who I think is heffsarmy flying along and another of Abhainn, amongst others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Great race. Thought the route was fair and the organisation was excellent.

Wasn't happy with my time but I'll definitely be back next year.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the photos Stupid_Private, you caught me in one of my less 'pained' moments!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Great race, very well organised. Will be running this again next year. Lovely muffins at the end.

Anybody any idea what the story is with returning the Sponsorship - one fo the race organisers was supposed to get back to me but I never heard anything.

Anybody going to do the Donadea 10k forest run in a few weeks time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Abhainn wrote: »
    I though the samba band were great and what about those muffins at the end! Even got a nice goodie bag.
    Good value at 20 bob. One of the best organised events this year.

And I pocketed a nice PB also :)

Nice time there! Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Fantastic race. Really well organised. Everything from the parking to the witty signage and the muffins at the end. Great technical t-shirt (if you chose it!).

I'd highly recommend this race to anyone. I brought two friends along who have never been in a race before and they asked me if all the races are this well organised. If only!

The Lakes 10k, Blessington
    Warrior's Run, Sligo,
    Beast of the East, (Wicklow Tri)
    and Achill Roar have been the four best run events I've been at this year.

(Not including the always excellent IMRA races!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Yep brilliant race. Actually glad it wasnt sunny. New BP, 3mins 40 secs faster than my old BP for flat(ish)10k from last xmas, so delighted with that. Wasnt expecting that hill around the back, but at least the final few K was downhill. Ended up having a balls out 50m sprint across the line. Would defo recommend it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 irelandshane

Hi,
    I would like to thank you for your time and effort to come and participate in The Lakes 10k. As a first time race organiser it's really encouraging to see all your positive posts about the race. I was so stressed on the day itself but looking back now and seeing your comments really help.

In relation to your sponsorship I think I know about this and where you are but just to confirm perhaps you could email the club address and I'll make an arrangement with you. The other organiser was supposted to ring you but maybe just hasn't had a chance to yet!

It's been a steep learning curve and there are extra things to be done if the event is to be repeated. The first thing I'll do is get rid of the word 'Flat' from the description. ;) I run the route alot and thought overall it's a fast one but I took a bit of stick about that hill so flat is gone! It's not bad for Wicklow though!!!

See you next year perhaps?!

Regards

Hey SP, some great photos in there. Although the two girls I brought along may not be as happy! Blonde girl and brunette pleading with you to delete the photos?!

Very happy with my PB of 40:31. Finished with a bit left in the tank so my pacing was a bit too conservative I reckon. I was aiming for 42:00 and see how close to 41:00 I could get to. Passed 5k in 20:08 which spooked me a bit! Next time sub-40.
    I've just added the rest of mine - Gohard with both feet off the ground, likewise who I think is heffsarmy flying along and another of Abhainn, amongst others.

Very few of me airborne. I'm going to keep that one!

Hey SP, some great photos in there. Although the two girls I brought along may not be as happy! Blonde girl and brunette pleading with you to delete the photos?!

I think I know which picture is the one of the brunette, that's a fine picture of her. If they seriously want the photos taken down just pop me a mail through the site. No problem at all taking pictures down if people want.

I think I know which picture is the one of the brunette, that's a fine picture of her. If they seriously want the photos taken down just pop me a mail through the site. No problem at all taking pictures down if people want.

No! Not at all! Just kidding. Great photos. Maybe their hair wasn't quite perfect etc. etc.!

Very happy with my PB of 40:31. Finished with a bit left in the tank so my pacing was a bit too conservative I reckon. I was aiming for 42:00 and see how close to 41:00 I could get to. Passed 5k in 20:08 which spooked me a bit! Next time sub-40.

Very few of me airborne. I'm going to keep that one!

Ha ha, I finished in 40:31 also. Also my PB. We must be clones!

Links in racepix365 to pics all erroring out for me so I cant view the pics. Anyone else have this issue? Head wrecked here at the mo. Dying to see if pics of me, no.268.

• Advertisement

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Ha ha, im finished in 40:31 also. Also my PB. We must be clones!

Links in racepix365 to pics all erroring out for me so I cant view the pics. Anyone else have this issue? Head wrecked here at the mo.

Two possible things here that I can think of -
    1) Red x's for images means flickr is blocked by your work
    2) Can't enter the galleries at all. You have an old version of internet explorer that has a bug. This one's really annoying because I can't replicate it to find the exact problem. I've heard of two people with this and they fixed it by upgrading IE to IE8 or using Firefox.

Anything else and I'm stumped!

Cheers dude. Yep I emailed the brother in his job and he had no look either. Normally I can get into these pages from here. O well, if anybody see pics of me on racepix, feel free to throw them up here, I dont mind. No.268. Cheers.

Cheers dude. Yep I emailed the brother in his job and he had no look either. Normally I can get into these pages from here. O well, if anybody see pics of me on racepix, feel free to throw them up here, I dont mind. No.268. Cheers.

here you go...

3935023320_04ede95e20.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Raighne

I'll echo earlier posters. Very well-organised event and a memorable route which will hopefully return.

Have had the flu for three days after the race which will teach me to race ill, but I had to pick up the t-shirt. The route was certainly not flat. Like the National 10k in Navan earlier this year the downhills did not give back what the uphills took (they rarely do). Personally happy to have run 2 10ks now in exactly the same time down to the second despite challenging routes! (coincidental surely, but still rather funny).

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Ha, thanks Stupid_Private, you got me. Open mouthed as usual!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31670380@N07/3937381596/

Argh!!!

Just kidding. Thanks Tawfee. :)

Ha ha, I finished in 40:31 also. Also my PB. We must be clones!

Ah yes! I remember you. You overtook me and I caught you again on the hill I think?

If we had started together (I was 12 seconds in front at the start line) we could have had an interesting sprint to the end. 40:21?!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Results are up. Heh heh, chip time took 12 seconds off my clock time. :) 45.34 PB for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 trihard

Did this race last Saturday and have to say that it was thoroughly enjoyable and what great value for Euro 20 as well as contributing to charity. I can't praise the organisers (Lakeshore Striders) enough for what went on behind the race scene. This was the first time the race was been run and there are always a few hiccups for the first outing but it went perfectly.

The course wasn't fast at all (imho) which made for a great challenge ... the start was well done, great level of mashalls / support out on the course and went managed finish and parking. All in all .... super!

• Advertisement

Ah yes! I remember you. You overtook me and I caught you again on the hill I think?

If we had started together (I was 12 seconds in front at the start line) we could have had an interesting sprint to the end. 40:21?!

Were you the guy I was talking to just after the finish line saying, that i tried to catch you, but I couldnt, or the guy with the orange top? There was somebody in their 50s with a blue top I reckon that got away from me that I was running with also for the last few kms. Hmm, im very intrigued.

I had a whopper sprint with the guy in the orange top, and just bet him to the line.

Advertisement