Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EVERYTHING about HPAT and getting medicine

Comments

drrkpd wrote: »
    well I have posted previously using the same thoughts as you but there WAS a post on the now locked hpat thread saying someone did have a score saying 100th percentile!! 183 is 92nd percentile so perhaps pharm is in top 8*30 240 which makes his chances even better!!

Yah, I remember the post saying that. My thoughts on it would be either the person is lying, or the people behind HPAT round up for simplicities sake, like I mentioned in my previous post. As far as I'm aware there are only 99 %iles (which makes logical sense), and I'd carry out all calculations based on that assumption unless somebody provides evidence against it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 pharmer08

kul, thanks for the info drrkpd, wasnt certain of numbers of applicants and whatnot,

any one any idea who round zero offers apply to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

pharmer08 wrote: »
    kul, thanks for the info drrkpd, wasnt certain of numbers of applicants and whatnot,

any one any idea who round zero offers apply to?
    Mature students and others who don't go through the same admissions system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Lads, quick question about the HPAT. Can you do it twice? It says it's valid for 2 years. So if you did the HPAT in 5th year and 6th year, can you just count your best one towards your points?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

jumpguy wrote: »
    Lads, quick question about the HPAT. Can you do it twice? It says it's valid for 2 years. So if you did the HPAT in 5th year and 6th year, can you just count your best one towards your points?
    You're not allowed to do it in 5th year. But if you did it in 6th year and decided to repeat the next year you can take the best score I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

HQvhs wrote: »
    You're not allowed to do it in 5th year. But if you did it in 6th year and decided to repeat the next year you can take the best score I assume.

Definitely NOT allowed to do in 5th year

Who is eligible to sit HPAT-Ireland? HPAT-Ireland is available to any candidate who is capable of meeting the academic entry requirements set by the universities. Applicants must either be in their final year of school or have completed their Leaving Certificate prior to 2009.

and
    http://www.hpat-ireland.acer.edu.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=72:im-in-5th-form-can-i-sit-hpat-ireland&catid=7:before-the-test&Itemid=39

I'm in 5th form, can I sit HPAT-Ireland?
    No, you are not eligible to sit HPAT-Ireland unless you have already completed your leaving certificate or are doing so in 2009.
    Please be warned that when all candidates register to sit HPAT-Ireland they will be required to check a box declaring that they are either doing 6th Form in 2009 or have already completed it, or its equivalent, prior to 2009. They will also have to declare that they are a bona fide student.
    A 5th form student is NOT a bona fide student.

If ACER is made aware of a student who provides a false declaration, their results will not be released.

In 2010, ACER will check for "re-sit" students. If a student is found to have, in effect, signed a false declaration in 2009, his/her HPAT-Ireland 2010 results will NOT be released. Hence the opportunity to enter medical school will be denied.

So this is a definite NO!!!!!!!

HQvhs wrote: »

This I cant find but may be true- maybe some-one else knows??

• Registered Users Posts: 2 foreveryoung

I'm just wondering what the best science undergraduate course to choose if you know you won't get the points for medicine in the leaving cert, but you don't mind waiting to apply the post grad route....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 dontlikeurmam

Have we decided wat kinda points we'll need for first round for the various schools??
    I'd say 730 for Trinity and then decreases downwards to just above 720 for NUIG and RCSI....wat ye think??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

I'm just wondering what the best science undergraduate course to choose if you know you won't get the points for medicine in the leaving cert, but you don't mind waiting to apply the post grad route....

Is there any chance you'd get the points repeating?

If you would, you'd get in sooner. Repeating would be just one year out of your whole life - quite a small fraction of even your life to date. It mightn't be ideal, or fun, but if you really want medicine it would be well worth it.

If not, I think people are a fan of most good quality biology-related degrees. A smaller number of others would argue that an arts degree gives an advantage in the humanities section of GAMSAT.

You should ask over on the Biology and Medicine forum. Best of luck with the results.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭i'm a smiler

Have we decided wat kinda points we'll need for first round for the various schools??
    I'd say 730 for Trinity and then decreases downwards to just above 720 for NUIG and RCSI....wat ye think??

Obviously nobody knows, but I 'll give my two cents.... I feel that tcd will be around 737 ish
    and nuig and rcsi will be around 725ish.(ucd and ucc in between)

Might be wrong but I think 720 will probably be too low to get in although everyone on hear thinks it's the magic number... We'll all know soon enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 pharmer08

730 sounds about right, what lunatics said 750+ in the pole???

anyone hear a definitive word on amount (possible increase) of undergrad places in galway??

pharmer08 wrote: »
    730 sounds about right, what lunatics said 750+ in the pole???

a big bunch of liars, trying to make us truthful folk fret!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 foreveryoung

thanks!!i will..!..i really don't want to repeat...just wanna forget about LC!!College here i come,!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 UCCmed09

hey!how safe would you think 752 is for medicine in UCC?are the 720-730 expectations still fairly accurate from the results you've heard?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 StatsMan

752 is well enough. - thats like the top 3 or 4% in HPAT and a leaving of 550+ which would have to be good enough.

On where the cut off will be here's my guesses.
    Trinity - 735
    UCD/UCC - 730
    NUIG - 728
    RCSI - 725

Obviously only a guess as people have been saying as no one knows for sure but at least there's not too long to wait to find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

This is going to be the most stressful week of my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Where are people plucking these figures from? I have 718 overall which probably wont be enough. The crap thing is, I could have done medicine in any college had I done the LC last year :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Goigng to be the longest week of my life.

My friend and I are both in the 720s. C'monnnnnnnnn 720s or below!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Duffman'05

Hopefully this will give people some perspective.

The top score for getting into Med will be 768, I know this because a mate of mine got 558 and was in th 99th percentile with a hpat score of 208, giving him a total of 766. So no one could possibly get over 768 (maybe 770?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

What a silly poll.

Duffman'05 wrote: »
    Hopefully this will give people some perspective.

The top score for getting into Med will be 768, I know this because a mate of mine got 558 and was in th 99th percentile with a hpat score of 208, giving him a total of 766. So no one could possibly get over 768 (maybe 770?)

Highest possible score is a LC of 600 which is now 560 points + 230 (maximum reported hpat score in Irish Times) which is 790 points.
    This score however interesting is irrelevant as people really want to know the LOWEST score to get into medicine and nobody knows until Monday!!!

well hello pharmer08....i was in your class...who is it?hopefully both of us are doing a runner anyway haha!

yeah I'd say you definitely do Jeebus!I don't think points are expected to move above the 730s!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

UCCmed09 wrote: »
    yeah I'd say you definitely do Jeebus!I don't think points are expected to move above the 730s!!

Thank you so much ! Where did you hear this ? God that would be amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

I've got 744, 560 + 184, so I'm pretty happy.

I can't see the points for UCC being higher than that.

I only put medicine as my no. 1 on the last day of the CAO, how quickly things have changed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

I have 722, 535 + 187 so fingers crossed for Monday.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

I got 600 points, so I'm on 560 + 184 = 744

I should be ok, shouldn't I?? I can't say I'm not a little worried right now! :(

i got 600 points and 186 in hpat (93rd percentile) ====== 746

BUT>>>>>>>>>>

I put dentistry down on my cao as my first choice and then med!
    so, don't worry med hopefuls!
    There will have been a good few people like me who would have prob gotten into med but had something else, eg dent, veterinary med etc first!

You've done everything you can. Now just wait till monday. (easier said than done, I know!)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 pureirishsugar

575, so thats 555 plus 192 in the hpat, giving me 747...fingers crossed twill be enough!!!

• Advertisement

555 + 187 (-4) = 738

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭holadivaldfe

and here's little old me hoping that 726 will be enough.... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Zenith23

Hmmm...I've made a deduction. Either 9 people who voted 800+ on the above polls are:
    1) Damn liars as 800 points means 600 in LC and 240 in HPAT while the highest HPATs in the country was 235.
    2) Unaware that LC points are adjusted past the 550 mark or
    3) Stephen Hawkings'

Question:
    I messed up the HPAT but got a healthy 555 in the LC. Could I do HHAD (Human Health and Disease) for a year while repeating the HPAT but not the LC and use this years LC points in conjunction with next years HPAT points to do medicine the following year? :o

Zenith23 wrote: »
    Hmmm...I've made a deduction. Either 9 people who voted 800+ on the above polls are:
    1) Damn liars as 800 points means 600 in LC and 240 in HPAT while the highest HPATs in the country was 235.
    2) Unaware that LC points are adjusted past the 550 mark or
    3) Stephen Hawkings'

Question:
    I messed up the HPAT but got a healthy 555 in the LC. Could I do HHAD (Human Health and Disease) for a year while repeating the HPAT but not the LC and use this years LC points in conjunction with next years HPAT points to do medicine the following year? :o

As far as I know, you can do the HPAT again and combine it with your 09 results. Do you think you'll improve significantly if you redo the HPAT? Best of luck in any case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭rois!

Im pretty worried, got 600 points but only in the top 87 percentile in the hpat so thats 177+560=737

sucks to have got 600 and still not be guaranteed a place!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jimithy

raydots wrote: »
    Please can anyone advise. I got a very low hpat score of 149 and am seriously devastated. I realise many people have very high scores and are still concerned about being offered medicine. However does anyone think I have any hope at all??? Have always wanted to do medicine and am still hoping for some chance

hey man, sorry to say but i wouldn't be holding your breath. have you applied to the uk or europe??

rois! wrote: »
    Im pretty worried, got 600 points but only in the top 87 percentile in the hpat so thats 177+560=737

I got 600 too! *high fives* I'm in the 92nd percentile... VERY worried right now. Hopefully we'll get in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

1fahy4, if you don't get in I will buy a hat. And then I will eat it.

bythewoods wrote: »
    1fahy4, if you don't get in I will buy a hat. And then I will eat it.

Haha, thanks for that :D

I'm sorry. I just tend to worry unnecessarily. I went into school yesterday certain I'd only just about scrape 500 points.:eek:

I should probably chill out :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭holadivaldfe

i've noticed that there are a few people on here whom are in the top 10-13% in the country and you have 550+ points. i also noticed most of you are worried with those scores. are you serious?

by virtue of the fact that you're in the top 13% this means that you are in the top 310 in the country. there are at least 405 places in the country and not every one who scores high in the hpat will score high in the leaving cert.

still worried? ;)

aww thanks that makes me feel way better!! its funny cos i didnt expect to get 600 so id kinda resigned myself to the fact that i wudnt get it but now the point have made it more likely im more nervous!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Bazzo26

rois! wrote: »

1fahy4 wrote: »
    I got 600 too! *high fives* I'm in the 92nd percentile... VERY worried right now. Hopefully we'll get in!

Dont worry either of you. you're both in no question:). Good luck to all the people around 725. Just out of curiosity where are people wanting to go next year

well ive trinity first and then ucd and then galway....
    to be honest i dont mind between trinners and ucd so ill be happy with either of them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Blur

I think the amount of people worrying about offers despite the fact they did excellently is pretty hilarious.

I'm between the 735 and 745 mark (I forget my HPAT score) so I'm quietly confident.I've partaken in sustained partying since Wednesday to prevent myself getting worried.

Anybody have Galway as their first choice? We can be medicine buddies :pac:

I have Trinity #1, but part of me hopes that I don't get that. Galway's such a cool city, and I'd love to do the pre-med year too. Hmm.

• Advertisement

Blur wrote: »
    I think the amount of people worrying about offers despite the fact they did excellently is pretty hilarious.

I'm between the 735 and 745 mark (I forget my HPAT score) so I'm quietly confident.I've partaken in sustained partying since Wednesday to prevent myself getting worried.

Anybody have Galway as their first choice? We can be medicine buddies :pac:

Yep, Galway's my first choice too! 5-year or 6-year??

1fahy4 wrote: »
    Yep, Galway's my first choice too! 5-year or 6-year??

6-year. Pre-med will be really easy. A relaxing year would be nice :P

Blur wrote: »
    6-year. Pre-med will be really easy. A relaxing year would be nice :P

Same here :D Should be fun... Until things get really tough in First Year... Ah well, I won't think about that for the time being :D

A Neurotic wrote: »
    I have Trinity #1, but part of me hopes that I don't get that. Galway's such a cool city, and I'd love to do the pre-med year too. Hmm.

Trinity was my first choice for most of the year, really love the campus.However, everyone I've met from Trinity have been pretentious idiots....so that kind of put me off.

This is extremely doubtful, but if I get offered Med in Trinity I don't suppose it would be possible to transfer to NUIG? I kind of stupidly forgot all about pre-med when I was finishing up my CAO.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement