Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EVERYTHING about HPAT and getting medicine

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭rois!

aww thanks that makes me feel way better!! its funny cos i didnt expect to get 600 so id kinda resigned myself to the fact that i wudnt get it but now the point have made it more likely im more nervous!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Bazzo26

rois! wrote: »
    Im pretty worried, got 600 points but only in the top 87 percentile in the hpat so thats 177+560=737

sucks to have got 600 and still not be guaranteed a place!!
    1fahy4 wrote: »
    I got 600 too! *high fives* I'm in the 92nd percentile... VERY worried right now. Hopefully we'll get in!

Dont worry either of you. you're both in no question:). Good luck to all the people around 725. Just out of curiosity where are people wanting to go next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭rois!

well ive trinity first and then ucd and then galway....
    to be honest i dont mind between trinners and ucd so ill be happy with either of them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Blur

I think the amount of people worrying about offers despite the fact they did excellently is pretty hilarious.

I'm between the 735 and 745 mark (I forget my HPAT score) so I'm quietly confident.I've partaken in sustained partying since Wednesday to prevent myself getting worried.

Anybody have Galway as their first choice? We can be medicine buddies :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I have Trinity #1, but part of me hopes that I don't get that. Galway's such a cool city, and I'd love to do the pre-med year too. Hmm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Blur wrote: »
    I think the amount of people worrying about offers despite the fact they did excellently is pretty hilarious.

I'm between the 735 and 745 mark (I forget my HPAT score) so I'm quietly confident.I've partaken in sustained partying since Wednesday to prevent myself getting worried.

Anybody have Galway as their first choice? We can be medicine buddies :pac:

Yep, Galway's my first choice too! 5-year or 6-year??

1fahy4 wrote: »
    Yep, Galway's my first choice too! 5-year or 6-year??

6-year. Pre-med will be really easy. A relaxing year would be nice :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

6-year. Pre-med will be really easy. A relaxing year would be nice :P

Same here :D Should be fun... Until things get really tough in First Year... Ah well, I won't think about that for the time being :D

A Neurotic wrote: »
    I have Trinity #1, but part of me hopes that I don't get that. Galway's such a cool city, and I'd love to do the pre-med year too. Hmm.

Trinity was my first choice for most of the year, really love the campus.However, everyone I've met from Trinity have been pretentious idiots....so that kind of put me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

This is extremely doubtful, but if I get offered Med in Trinity I don't suppose it would be possible to transfer to NUIG? I kind of stupidly forgot all about pre-med when I was finishing up my CAO.

• Advertisement

Its on the bottom of your cao form.

Yup!

Oh ok , I shall check that!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I have Trinity first, but not a chance will I get it.

If I get anywhere, it'll be Galway.
    Please please PLEASE let 726 be enough :(

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

i've noticed that there are a few people on here whom are in the top 10-13% in the country and you have 550+ points. i also noticed most of you are worried with those scores. are you serious?

by virtue of the fact that you're in the top 13% this means that you are in the top 310 in the country. there are at least 405 places in the country and not every one who scores high in the hpat will score high in the leaving cert.

still worried? ;)

Not sure how you have worked out top 310 in country on top 13% in hpat.
    3000 sat the exam so each centile should be 30 people BUT this group includes mature students and there may be as many as 300 which would be
    3000-300= 2700 so 27 students per centile.
    So should be in top 351 (if 27) or top 390 (if 30).

Also some top scores may not have put medicine first and some high hpat may not have scored 550 or above in LC-unlikely I know but not impossible.

Qualifax says 405 undergraduate medical students in country I think is 420 but lets work with 405 and lets take 30 per centile to be safe.

So anyone with a perfect LC 560 + 87 th percentile or above in hpat 177 for a total of 737 or above is in my opinion guaranteed a place in medicine BUT maybe not their first choice. Trinity will be highest -always is (smaller number of places, Dublin and popular).

Where no-one has a clue is about the LOWEST points for entry to medicine is because some people have perfect LC and less good hpat. Others have good hpat but less good LC. This is impossible to predict.

As regards hpat only 3000 out of 57000 LC students did it so this is the presumed top 5% in the country doing this exam. Even if you scored 10 th percentile this still means you are extremely capable and I think people are regarding themselves as "poor" forgetting that thay are competing against the very top of the country anyway!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Zenith23

I know that this is a long shot but does anybody have any idea or estimate as to how many people will be applying for Trinity on there 1st choice.

Also, I'm not sure how this works:
    If a candidate was to get say 700 points and have Trinity as their 1st choice and another candidate had 720 points and had Trinity as 2nd on their CAO (provided the 2nd candidate didn't get his/her 1st place) who gets the place? Will there be a cut-off point, under which is a failure?

Anyone doing med in UCC?

Zenith23 wrote: »
    I know that this is a long shot but does anybody have any idea or estimate as to how many people will be applying for Trinity on there 1st choice.

Also, I'm not sure how this works:
    If a candidate was to get say 700 points and have Trinity as their 1st choice and another candidate had 720 points and had Trinity as 2nd on their CAO (provided the 2nd candidate didn't get his/her 1st place) who gets the place? Will there be a cut-off point, under which is a failure?

I'd say about 8/900 will have TCD as their first choice and would say the 720 pointer would get the place. I imagine on monday it'll just be a number as usual and the random number thing will decide the last few places

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭cantona56

does anybody else think its extremely unfair to work your ass off for two years to get medicine, get 600 points and not get it in the end because of some stupid new up in the air apptitude test....i mean i had accepted my poor Hpat score but ive been thinking and now im absolutely livid!!!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Yeah same, I got 590 and would have gotten med in Trinity last year :(

Bazzo26 wrote: »
    I'd say about 8/900 will have TCD as their first choice and would say the 720 pointer would get the place. I imagine on monday it'll just be a number as usual and the random number thing will decide the last few places

8/900? I know that can't be..Do you mean 80/900?

Oh and cantona56, I completely agree. Medicine is an intense course designed for those who work diligently. A good Leaving Cert reflects how one can cope with the Medicine course, not a gift for aptitude tests!

Oh please!

The aptitude test is meant to find who will make the best doctor.I have no idea if it is actually effective but it's much better than simple Leaving Cert. level subjects that have nothing to do with being a doctor.

:) Then again, this is coming from someone who did better in the HPAT than the leaving cert.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

8/900? I know that can't be..Do you mean 80/900?

Oh and cantona56, I completely agree. Medicine is an intense course designed for those who work diligently. A good Leaving Cert reflects how one can cope with the Medicine course, not a gift for aptitude tests!

Sorry mate, but considering you've just done the LC, I don't think you're in any position to categorically say that med is a "designed for those who work diligently".

I'm pretty sure med is designed to train doctors who will competently and comprehensively care for patients.

I'd say diligence vs gift was little more than an after-thought when the course was being designed.

Priorities, man. Priorities.

Sorry mate, but considering you've just done the LC, I don't think you're in any position to categorically say that med is a "designed for those who work diligently".

I'm pretty sure med is designed to train doctors who will competently and comprehensively care for patients.

I'd say diligence vs gift was little more than an after-thought when the course was being designed.

I agree with this man.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

Oh please!

The aptitude test is meant to find who will make the best doctor.I have no idea if it is actually effective but it's much better than simple Leaving Cert. level subjects that have nothing to do with being a doctor.

:) Then again, this is coming from someone who did better in the HPAT than the leaving cert.

I think hpat is not an aptitude test but a psychometric test to test your intelligence and quick decision making in the 3 areas that the test outlines. A bit like a DAT test on speed. I dont kow of any research that says there is any test that can find who will be the best doctor and doubt there ever will be. There IS Australian research to show that prior preperation does not improve your scores -maybe that is why it was chosen.

And I confidently predict great and understandable unhappiness amongst the people who with high LC scores would have got in under the old system. But was random selection at say 570 really fair either???

Well, 30 years ago a couple of Cs were enough to get into any course you wanted.ie. things change and we just have to accept them.

I think the people that get 600 are amazing and all but they knew what entry into medicine required this year long in advance; so while maybe they can feel bitter, they can't really complain.

I agree with this man.

Respect homie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

I don't know about the HPAT, but the leaving cert isn't a bad method of telling how you'll cope with the actual coursework.

The only part it doesn't really prepare you for is interaction with patients. That said, I don't see how a HPAT can do that either.

Maybe the HPAT is really a better system, I don't know. But I don't think the old system was bad, bar random selection.

Maybe I don't have the experience, but after reading numerous blogs I have certainly molded somewhat of an opinion on how I think the system should be.

Consider this, for example: Would you honestly say that a person who scores 600 points in the LC and sub-normal in HPAT will have a detrimental effect on the health system?

600 points means a student is mature, determined, self-disciplined, organised, ambitious etc. The key ingredients of any Doctor worth his/her salt.

If a person is so clever as to get 220 in the HPAT but only manages 500 in the LC, what does that mean? He/she must have the potential to get 600 but doesn't possess the above because he/she is lazy or what have you, making it almost impossible for him/her to get past 1st year med.

Someone may have the characteristics of a Doctor as the HPAT predicts but does that really mean that he/she can be a Doctor? Can he/she work 48-hour shifts etc?

While the LC consists of 2 year (3 for some) of focused study, how does the HPAT compare? It is one sitting on one day and it accounts for so much.

If a person is so clever as to get 220 in the HPAT but only manages 500 in the LC, what does that mean? He/she must have the potential to get 600 but doesn't possess the above because he/she is lazy or what have you, making it almost impossible for him/her to get past 1st year med.

Someone may have the characteristics of a Doctor as the HPAT predicts but does that really mean that he/she can be a Doctor? Can he/she work 48-hour shifts etc?

*Points to self* :P

Seriously though,on one hand there's many brilliant brilliant students I know who don't hit the high 500s and would make awesome doctors , while on the other hand the girl I know who got 600 is an absolute idiot and has no place in a hospital.

The more types of intelligence the qualification system caters for the better.

Maybe I don't have the experience, but after reading numerous blogs I have certainly molded somewhat of an opinion on how I think the system should be.

Fair enough, you're entitled to your opinions, but you didn't state these as opinions in your previous post. You stated them as self-proclaimed fact.
    Consider this, for example: Would you honestly say that a person who scores 600 points in the LC and sub-normal in HPAT will have a detrimental effect on the health system?

No, I wouldn't categorically say it. But I do know such people, who if I had as a doctor, would be told to fuck off away from me.
    600 points means a student is mature, determined, self-disciplined, organised, ambitious etc. The key ingredients of any Doctor worth his/her salt.

Positive word association doesn't make a statement true, buddy.

Can you explain how 600 points means such things? :confused: There are people who get 600 who I'd classify as completely polar to such adjectives. They are just innately gifted.

Personally, if I were assigned a doctor, frankly, I'd hope they scored highly in both sections of the admission process. I want a doctor who is knowledgeable, yes undoubtedly, but as, if not more important, for me, one who has an aptitude in rational, split second thinking coupled with a genuine comprehension of the said knowledge's applications and effects. I think students who posses both qualities are those being searched for by the HPAT. Sure, to the best of my knowledge, weren't most experts (guidance counsellors on radio shows, etc.) discounting applicants with less than 550 LC points?

Lolz at "he/she is lazy".

If you want to go around and classify people as such, do at your own peril. You have no idea what may be going on at home with these people, or indeed on the day of the exams. I think you're being a bit short sighted there.

Furthermore, I firmly believe that a system whereby languages other than English, and business/humanity subjects receive the same weighting in admission to med as sciences and the technical subjects, is fundamentally flawed. Lack of interest in such pointless, relative to the course, subjects is often a main contributor to the 'demise' of the gifted student, aiming for med. I feel the HPAT adjusts somewhat the balance, shifting it away from a completely dominant 6-subject system, to one of academia, yes, but, equally, one of practical knowledge.

If the law is abided, such shifts such be a thing of the past with the EWTD.
    While the LC consists of 2 year (3 for some) of focused study, how does the HPAT compare? It is one sitting on one day and it accounts for so much.

Pal, the LC cycle is two years, the actual exams are "one sitting on one day and it accounts for so much."

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 pureirishsugar

right lads, i can 100% see why people who got 600 on monday are going to feel hard done by if they don't get into medicine. i'm not going to argue the pros and cons of the HPAT, but just remember that the cao isn't the only option. accept your 2nd option, or take a year out and apply to ucas for next year. concentrate on getting a good score in ukcat, go get some quality work experience, get help writing your personal statement from a career guidance teacher. i know this is going to be thrown in my face, saying people can't afford it. the funny thing is, if fee's get introduced here next year, its actually going to be cheaper to go to uni in scotland!

its an option lads and any option that will get you in the medicine is worth persuing.
    best of luck on monday, and it will be highly interesting to see what combinations of HPAT and LC get into medicine

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement