Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

In Need Of More Memory...

• 27-06-2009 1:22am

Hey all,

I have two 1TB hard drives. Both are "Buffalo" drives, purchased from Argos:

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6757852/Trail/searchtext%3E1TB.htm

Both hard drives have identical content (so if one dies, I haven't lost anything).

Anyway, I'm running pretty low on space and need to buy more, but I still want to keep all my stuff backed up. So i was wondering, what would you do in my situation?

Buy another two 1TB drives and have two connected to the PC at the same time, and have two back ups put away, or buy a 2TB drive to connect to the PC, and format one of the 1TB Drives, and update the content of it as the 2TB fills up (so i'll have a 2TB drive, and two 1TB drives that will have the same content as the 2TB split between them).

Or should I sell the two 1TBs and pick up two 2TBs and go from there? (Not a big fan of the idea of selling them, as I doubt they'd be worth much second hand).

Just looking to see what other people think the best idea would be here?

Also, can anyone inform me, do all 1TB drives (and upwards) need external power (ie: to be plugged in) or is that only on some?

EDIT: I was considering pickin gup two of these:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=420463&view=detailed#ProductTabs

As i seen them posted on another thread in this forum, but I don't really know what way to go about it just yet.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

WD just launched that new 4tB Mybook. I think thats set up as RAID as well so you would get 2tB of redundant storage.

Not too sure what RAID is to be completely honest, but wouldnt a 4TB be extremely expensive, not very reliable, and if it died it'd take everything with it :confused::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Firstly, yes, all 1TB drives need external power. The only drives that run from USB power are based on 2.5" laptop drives - the largest available is currently 500GB, although Seagate has just announced a 640GB one.

In your situation, I would think about building a raid 5 array, you'll be able to pull the drives from your externals and use them. Get another one or two 1TB drives and you'll be sorted.

What way you work it is up to you, you can build it yourself or buy pre-made external raid boxes.

OK, I'm getting in a little over my head here.

I've no idea what RAID is. Can anyone point me in the direction of a tutorial or guide about it, and Voodu child, im assuming oyu mean take the drives from my external hard drives and essentially build my own hard drive? If so, would you have any guides on how to do so?

Seems like a fantastic idea that never crossed my mind, but I don't know if id do it or not. I value my media, so i dont want to risk losing everything by making a silly mistake trying to put things together myself (though in saying that, Id love to be able to do such a thing, if it is possible)?

Huge thanks to both of you for your help thus far :)

Advertisement