Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this normal Black Moor Goldfish behaviour?

Options
  • 27-06-2009 3:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

2 of my friends gave me 2 Black Moor Goldfish (Simon and Jenny) last week for my birthday.
    I noticed the last 2 days that Jenny keeps swimming down into the stones and Simon will come over and nudge her out of them. Today aswell I noticed that sometimes they swim over to each other and kind of swim aggressively into each other. Just wondering is this normal? Are they playing together or attacking each other?

Also today I noticed that sometimes when they eat a flake of fish food they'll spit it back out again and sometimes eat what they spit out. Is this because the flakes are too big for them to eat at once or should I be feeding them something else?

One last thing, ive noticed the bowl gets dirty very quickly and I have been cleaning it out almost every day. I think I'll upgrade to a bigger tank in the next few weeks as I read somewhere that keeping them in bowls isnt the best idea and that ideally you should have 20 gallons for the first fish and an additional 10 gallons for each fish thereafter.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

Hi black moors are know to dig in the gravel/stones it is part of their behaviour.
    The nudging can be them being a pair or their sort out their territory they are not known for being aggressive so I would not worry.The flakes you are feeding them will dirty the bowl if giving to much.The eating an spitting out and eating again is normal.You should think about getting a small tank and Filter and do a 10% water change every week.I am afraid to say bowls are death traps in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Jafin

Thanks for the reply.
    Yes Ive read a few articles online with people expressly stating that fish bowls are not the way to go. Like I said earlier though, I will buy them a tank in the next week or two. Cant be too big though as we haven't much room for one anywhere in the house, lol.

Advertisement