Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from AH

Options
  • 27-06-2009 7:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭

I was banned from After Hours last night by a mod. I cant reference the post because it is locked but there is the reason given;
    You have been banned from After Hours for the following duration:

14 Day(s)

for the following reason:

Trolling.

Providing your ban is not permanent, it will be lifted automatically after 14 Day(s). You will get an automatic message informing you that the ban is lifted. If you do not receive this message after the allotted time, please PM a moderator to clarify.
    Also, please be aware that an abusive response to this automated message may result in an extension of your ban, or in extreme cases, being banned from the entire site.

Thanks,

Forum Moderator.

Now the thread in question was a light hearted one on the pasty, white look of irish people when the sun comes out. Everyone in the thread found this to be nothing more than a sneer at ourselves and nobody took offence.

After i questioned the ban, the moderator suddenly remembered that he actually wanted to ban me for some other post in another thread.
    this;
    How, how is it only a matter of time?

That is simply conspiracy theory nonsense. You should think these things through before blurting them out on a public message board.

I actually worry that there are loonies like you walking our streets.
    Ask your self the following questions;

* Who decides what is a deviant thought.
    * What is a thought.
    * How can a thought be detected.
    * How do you establish what is a conscious thought and what is an unconscious thought.
    * What about dreams? I have had some bizarre dreams/nightmares, are they deviant.
    * Who would implant these chips? That is risky brain surgery that No surgeon/doctor would be willing to do.
    * How is a deviant thought punished in a court of law, for example, how does society measure the severity of the "deviant thought"?

I think people who write bizarre conspiracy daydreams on a public message board should have certain civic rights removed, for example, the right to own a firearm, to vote and to have children.
    Rant over.

Now i dont think that this was over the top personal abuse, certainly in the context of what the OP in that thread was suggesting. Maybe i should have rephrased the word loonies but for the love of god, i think that is a little over the top. Again, it was simply a bit of messing and hardly meant to cause insult.

I got a 2 week ban which, because i was banned before, funnily enough by the same moderator, who, incidentally had abused me personally himself before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60882469&postcount=123

I stated in that post, made at 17:09, that you were banned.
    At the time I was banning lots of people and I may have forgotten to ban you. It was a bit hectic.

Then I saw your thread and realised that the ban didn't take, so I made sure it did the second time.

You admitted to trolling in the later thread.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055604606
    You wrote:
    **** now stirred, im off for a snooze

This is actually your third ban from AH. You were also banned by another mod in January.
    The length of each ban increases.

Link to where I personally abused you?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I think you're forgetting that your past behaviour on a forum will legitimately impact your treatment when it comes to bans.

You're not exactly coming across as Snow White..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Terry wrote: »
    Link to where I personally abused you?

I cant be bothered searching through and linking the many, many times you sneers at my posts or abused me in an indirect way. Might I add, you do the very same to other members of boards.

May i offer some advice Terry?

If you are finding life a bit tough and things are annoying you, maybe a better way of venting those frustrations is to go for a nice long walk, go out with friends, have a few drinks and relax.

Venting your petty frustrations on an Internet discussion board and bullying others is really an unhealthy way of dealing with whatever issues you may have.

Maybe you feel the need to exercise the little bit of power you have on the internet because you have no means of doing so in real life?

If that is indeed the case Terry, then I absolve you.

Good day.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    I think you're forgetting that your past behaviour on a forum will legitimately impact your treatment when it comes to bans.

You're not exactly coming across as Snow White..

That is fair enough BuffyBot.

What I am taking issue to is the need for a ban at all this time. Much, much worse carry on goes on in AH, which leads me to the correct conclusion that Terry has some sort of gripe with me. How on earth can he get away with personally abusing me and sneering at posts I make while when I make a little joke about someone elses conspiratory theory nonsense being loony earns me a ban.
    It simply stinks of double standards, a personal vendetta, abuse of power and bullying.

I dont expect this to be in anyway resolved anyway so im just wasting my time.
    Good luck Terry, I sincerely hope you get your issues resolved.

Well, as your not willing to provide us with some links, there is very little else for me to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I would have banned you for that loonies comment for the record and I have no personal gripe with you whatsoever.

I have no idea why you think i have a gripe with you. I have barely any idea who you are.

I banned you for personal abuse.
    There was a slight glitch in the ban process, but that's all there is to it.

I will warn you now though that any further taunting via PM will result in your ban being lengthened.
    See the original ban message for clarification on this.

As for me not replying earlier, UPC have been working in my estate, so my internet and tv have been on and (mostly) off for the past couple of days.

Terry wrote: »
    I have no idea why you think i have a gripe with you. I have barely any idea who you are.

I banned you for personal abuse.
    There was a slight glitch in the ban process, but that's all there is to it.

I will warn you now though that any further taunting via PM will result in your ban being lengthened.
    See the original ban message for clarification on this.

As for me not replying earlier, UPC have been working in my estate, so my internet and tv have been on and (mostly) off for the past couple of days.

My point is that it was hardly personal abuse, or at least comparatively light compared to other stuff that goes on.
    Which leads me to the belief that you do indeed have a vendetta against me. Your claims of not knowing who I am are, quite frankly, ridiculous. You have time and time again belittled posts I have made, given me more red and yellow cards than any other moderator.
    Your way you dealt with my ban, where in my opinion would have been better dealt with a warning just strikes me as someone with a grudge with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Caoimhín wrote: »
    You have time and time again belittled posts I have made, given me more red and yellow cards than any other moderator.
    Terry has only given you one infraction, a yellow one, last year. But yes, you have amassed a number of infractions by other moderators.

Caoimhín wrote: »
    My point is that it was hardly personal abuse, or at least comparatively light compared to other stuff that goes on.
    Personal abuse is personal abuse.
    I've banned smods from AH for the same thing.
    I've said time and again that I don't give a **** who you are. If you break the rules in AH, I will ban you.
    Which leads me to the belief that you do indeed have a vendetta against me.
    Nope. I honestly do not.
    Your claims of not knowing who I am are, quite frankly, ridiculous.
    You're just one of the many hundreds of people who post in AH. I cannot remember every single person or every single infraction/ban I have given.

We have lists now though, so I can check back through them.

I banned you once before and that was back in November of last year.
    AlmightyCushion banned you in January of this year.

You have recieved a total of 6 bans from various forums.

You have time and time again belittled posts I have made, given me more red and yellow cards than any other moderator.
    1: Links please.
    2: I have only given you one yellow card and no red cards. AlmightyCushion gave you 2 red cards.

You have recieved a total of 9 red cards and 2 yellow from various mods.

Your way you dealt with my ban, where in my opinion would have been better dealt with a warning just strikes me as someone with a grudge with me.

No. I made a simple mistake by not banning you earlier. I had several tabs open and was banning several people and replying to their PMs. It just slipped through the net. I then saw your later (trolling) thread and realised that the ban had not been issued.
    I had to go through your posts in order to make sure that it was you that I thought I had banned. If I had some sort of grudge against you, I would not have had to go through your posts because I would have instantly known that it was you who was supposed to be banned.

Now I hadn't actually looked at your profile until the following was pointed out to me, but this is someone holding a grudge.

You can take all the digs at me that you want, but I'm right and you are wrong, and I can rest well in that knowledge.

• Advertisement

Right,

Now it is for "Trolling" what ever the fcuk that means. Terry if you are going to ban people simply because you feel like it then at least STICK TO THE SAME REASON.

It started with a ban for personal abuse, now it has mysteriously changed to "Trolling"

When will the rest of the admins and mods realise that a large majority of Boards users are not pleased with this moderators arbitrary banning and moderating in general.

Must we sign a petition and reference examples of his online bullying and abuse of his position?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

You don't seem to have a ban from AH, or an infraction. What's this about?

Gordon wrote: »
    You don't seem to have a ban from AH, or an infraction. What's this about?

I was banned by "Terry" for 2 weeks for personal abuse (calling someone proposing to do a silly act "loony) The reason given was "Personal abuse" now it has changed to "trolling" Why this change? How was my post trolling. This is a clear example of a moderator abusing their power to ban at will and decide later why.

I do indeed have infractions, and i accept that i have deserved them. However this user is repeatedly sneering, belittling and dismissing any posts i make. He arbitrarily bans people he dislikes and is a generally unfair, unsuitable and aggressive moderator.
    I have had many PMs with people telling me the same thing happens to them.

I would bet my house that "Terry"'s moderation has received more complaints than any other.
    On top of this, he actively engages in what can only be described as "cyber bullying", many people have referred to this before.

And no, i am not going to spend my afternoon searching and referencing any of these occurrences.
    I am of the belief that the higher Mods and Admins are aware of this problem but for some reason refuse to act.

Why is that?

You can believe what you like, as you will undoubtedly continue to do so no matter what we say, it would seem.

As you're more than willing to fling mud, but not to pony up the proof, I'm closing this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement