Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Tesco vouchers n irish ferries

• 27-06-2009 7:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭

Been dutifully saving tesco vouchers under duress!(i dislike shoppping and contributing to the stores' global domination plan but thats a different story) for the last year or so ready to use for a ferry.

My wife got on the phone yesterday to book (found times/days/prices on the www that suited) only to be told that the €179 internet fare isn't valid on phone bookings using tesco deals,best fare for the same crossing using the vouchers is €253!(now I realize that internet deals on any site usually differ better than phone bookings,but € 74,surely this is taking the piste just cos I'm using vouchers.....:mad:

Anyone else found this?Whats the best way to get a good deal,or is there?

Ta loads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Where and when are you going to? One way/return etc? How many passengers and all that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Hi Cormie, 2 adults,1 child,2 infants,single trip Dub/Holyhead sometime mid/late next month. Motorhome over 2.4m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I am planning to do this myself, well car and 4 adults but I will be giving my money (vouchers that is) to stena line and not the robbing Irish ferries.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭boyoh

aerosol wrote: »
    Hi Cormie, 2 adults,1 child,2 infants,single trip Dub/Holyhead sometime mid/late next month. Motorhome over 2.4m

Hello aerosol,
    On line now, Irish Ferries mid to late July @ 8.50 Dublin Port to Holyhead €189, no vouchers no fuss just book........................b:cool::)

Thanks Boyoh,would of took that but only just booked with Stenaline!:(

I had the vouchers already converted and needed to use them.

Happy now cos I now have 6 weeks in Europe:D

• Advertisement

Aerosol, just be careful, are you sure Stena will accept these vouchers as they would have had the Irish ferries code on them at the side from when you sent off for Irish Ferries vouchers. It doesn't mention IRish Ferries on them, just the Irish Ferries code. Let me know if Stena still accept them ;)

Hi Cormie,accepted no probs on Stena.:)

The vouchers are the same for most stuff. I ordered for stena line as well as guinness brewery and jameson distilery but they are the same and a note says they are interchangeable with almost any of the deals anyway.

Cool :) good to know!

Saruman wrote: »
    The vouchers are the same for most stuff. I ordered for stena line as well as guinness brewery and jameson distilery but they are the same and a note says they are interchangeable with almost any of the deals anyway.

Great! Now to find out if it's possible to get other peoples vouchers to use if they aren't on the sailing ;) I'm sure many people would prefer cash than what's on offer in the brochure!

• Advertisement

The vouchers are sold on ebay so there must be a way.I think the buyer will have to get seller to convert for them but not sure....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rgfish

Have just tried to book ferry using tesco vouchers, on line price jumps by 240 euros for using tesco vouchers, and the website won't even take the GB code. Unimpressed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭wonderworm

Yeah a real pain in the behind. We are going to France for christmas when I booked the fare went up by €100 because I was using the vouchers. I was advised the best way is to book the fare as two one way fares and use the vouchers this way. To be honest its a complete cod and I wont be bothering with the vouchers anymore have also stopped shopping in Tesco as its too bloody expensive and they are selling too much of their own brand. Anyway rant over Merry Christmas one and all. Roll on tomorrow!

To be fair, having the price jump by €100 means YOU are only paying €25 of real money extra for the privilage.
    I have no issue with being charged more for using the Tesco vouchers.
    First time I used Stena Line to the UK and I recently booked France for next year with Irish Ferries because you can book it online now instead of having to call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

I have just got quotes for return fares on both Rosslare / Wales routes, for Camper + 2 adults Feb/Mar, same day, same times.
    Stena Line - €298 internet, €333 Tesco vouchers = €35 extra
    Irish Ferries - €298 internet €343 Tesco vouchers = €45 extra
    Also got quote for Irish Ferries return fare Rosslare / Cherbourg May/Sept (low season)
    €396 internet €491 Tesco vouchers = €95 extra
    So beware that if you haven't more than the difference in vouchers it's cheaper not to use them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭shigg

Anyone know if its possible to book with tesco vouchers for Irish Ferries and for the person on the vouchers not to travel?? Is it possible to pay 25 euro amendment fee for someone to travel in place or how strict is it?? Know someone with LOTS more vouchers than I have so could pay for the lot with vouchers and reimburse her. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

i agree it is wrong that the price is raised when using vouchers but the way i look at it is it not costing us anything anyway.i mean the wife goes shopping and tesco give her the vouchers for shopping there,basically for free,we trade them in for a holiday which with using free vouchers means a free holiday.if the price is 45 euro more and you have to pay that then you get to go to the uk for 45 euro

Advertisement