Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rat? Or not?

Options
  • 27-06-2009 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭

ANy help or suggestions appreciated.
    Does anyone know if this is a young rat? Or some kind of field mouse? Its body is about 2 inches long and the tail about 3 inches. It was able to climb very quickly straight up that brick wall.
    If it's a mouse my wife will probably freak so in that case any suggestions for getting rid of it?
    3664953444_c6dd2b72de.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Small rat.
    Use a live trap and you will know when you get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

looks to me like a field mouse....But dont quote me....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

mad m wrote: »
    looks to me like a field mouse....But dont quote me....

Same to me.I think its a field mouse! There is brilliant traps you can get now they are called "The big cheese" for rats and there is a smaller version for mice.

Kill the fcukers and let that be an end. humain my [EMAIL="a@se"]a@se[/EMAIL] virus carrying sh1ts!

Just kill what ever it is! the end!

Use poison to get rid of. works better than any trap especially the coated grain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Use poison to get rid of. works better than any trap especially the coated grain.

Poision is never a good idea, 2 main reasons

1. You do not see the evidence so you cannot count how many you got!

2. The vermin usually dies under a shead where it rots or in the open for your kids to play with.

Traps are safer, They die where you decide and they can be counted

ps: Those electronic traps and sonic senders are sh1t. Guaranteed they are full of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Thanks to all for the suggestions and help. I zoomed in on the photo as far as I could which might help with identification.
    I have a puppy which has the run of the back garden where I saw that rat or whatever it is. Yesterday I put down some poison (blue grain) in a purpose -made bait box and also underneath a large concrete block. I'm fairly confident this will keep the puppy away from the poison. No poison seems to have been taken as of this afternoon. Is there a type of trap that would be safe for the puppy?

3667686953_31e3c18a59_o.jpg

Thanks to all for the suggestions and help. I zoomed in on the photo as far as I could which might help with identification.
    I have a puppy which has the run of the back garden where I saw that rat or whatever it is. Yesterday I put down some poison (blue grain) in a purpose -made bait box and also underneath a large concrete block. I'm fairly confident this will keep the puppy away from the poison. No poison seems to have been taken as of this afternoon. Is there a type of trap that would be safe for the puppy?

3667686953_31e3c18a59_o.jpg
    Make sure your puppy does not eat the dead rat. they are still poisonous. so that other rats will eat the dead rat and also get poisoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

.... that looks very like a young rat ....

Anyway, I prefer not to use poison as if they get into the house and expire the stench is not pleasant.

Traps with chocolate seem to be very effective. I dispatched a family of seven last autumn.

P.

Advertisement