Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Casual vs Tournaments

• 27-06-2009 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭

Azza wrote: »
    f you want to improve than going to competitive competitions is always a good idea, but if your not that serious into it then thats okay too.

I dunno if I agree with this. I think you learn way more from casuals. What are you going to learn in a couple of rounds? Ive learned a tonne about bison playing you online and those are casuals.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Yeah but the problems with casuals is that the player your playing against might be holding back. He may be trying new tactics out rather than playing to his full potential because he has nothing to loose.

Besides there is no point getting good if you only intend to play casuals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

He may be trying new tactics out

Isnt that how you get better though, trying new tactics and fighting against different tactics? Dont get me wrong id love to see more and bigger tournaments. Its much better when something is on the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Indeed. One round against bush's blanka wouldn't have helped me. 20 of them did. Made me recognise where I was failing and it was straight it into training mode to fix it.

You don't get that ina tourney. Its wham, bam, thank you Dan. :p

Having said that, the male in me loves competition. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Yeah but the problems with casuals is that the player your playing against might be holding back. He may be trying new tactics out rather than playing to his full potential because he has nothing to loose.

Besides there is no point getting good if you only intend to play casuals.

I enjoy both the constant striving for improvement with your character as well as the competitive element and the two are definately not mutually exclusive.

In fact ,I'd say they go hand in hand,the casual events are great but they do lack that compettive edge of the tournaments.The only thing that worries me about the tournaments/meets is that despite the fact there were only a few ,there was a clear division in peoples skill/experience and a definate pattern emerging.

What I'd like to see is a some kind of team tourney to keep things a bit fresh ,maybe a 2 on 2 or something,I can already see a Bison team emerging....

blag wrote: »
    I can already see a Bison team emerging....

Which is quickly countered by TEAM Guile :D

• Advertisement

**** team bison is all I have to say :pac:

bush wrote: »
    **** team bison is all I have to say :pac:

Team Guile is nothing to be feared,team Blanks on the other hand (ie Bush) is a scarier prospect.

I really have to stop putting the word "team" before characters names...

Have you fought a good guile? Nightmare as Bison. You cant head stomp as he will just flash kick your face....and head stomp mix ups wont work coz he will just boom or sweep. same with slides and scissors kicks.......Boom to the groin.

Yeah but team Guile runs an hides to team Sagat and so and so.
    Actually ran into a really god Gen the other night.

At first I was like Gen....easy win!
    Then I was like this guy knows what he doing.
    Then I was going this guy is good.
    Holy crap nice combo.
    What the hell that juggles!.
    Stop that!
    Leave me alone!
    Stop hitting me!
    F**k off!

Then I picked Bison and spammed roundhouse kick, and everything was good again.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Personally, I find myself a lot more gung ho when I play casuals but find myself playing better in tourneys because I'm trying to be more tactical which can be a problem sometimes as I'm a rushdown player.
    But thats a flaw in my play anyway :)

I think each offers different things. I think casuals overall is better because everyone is more relaxed and with a more relaxed mind, everyone can focus better without the nerves interrupting the train of thought.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

blag wrote: »

In fact ,I'd say they go hand in hand,the casual events are great but they do lack that compettive edge of the tournaments.The only thing that worries me about the tournaments/meets is that despite the fact there were only a few ,there was a clear division in peoples skill/experience and a definate pattern emerging.

Speaking as one of the weaker players, would it be an idea to get some form of boards league going so we could seed players then or something? Then we could make more relevant fights in tournaments?

Kirby wrote: »
    Have you fought a good guile? Nightmare as Bison. You cant head stomp as he will just flash kick your face....and head stomp mix ups wont work coz he will just boom or sweep. same with slides and scissors kicks.......Boom to the groin.

I've played a few good guiles,the match is a lot easier than it was in ST.Guile can't completely lock Bison down now,His flash kicks whiff on cross up and focusing his fierce sweep stops that nonsense.Add to that an almost useless ultra and poor Guile isn't so scaary anymore.

The only things he has are a good airthrow and ex sonic booms.

Blanka is the only match up that I'm uncomfortable with in IV.

Yeah but team Guile runs an hides to team Sagat and so and so.
    Actually ran into a really god Gen the other night.

At first I was like Gen....easy win!
    Then I was like this guy knows what he doing.
    Then I was going this guy is good.
    Holy crap nice combo.
    What the hell that juggles!.
    Stop that!
    Leave me alone!
    Stop hitting me!
    F**k off!

Then I picked Bison and spammed roundhouse kick, and everything was good again.:)

Gen is crazy, I spend most of the match wondering what the hell is going on. I cant stand him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I feel like there's a place for both, of course it's great to sit down with a good player and work on a matchup for half an hour or whatever, but playing a whole lot of different people who use that character is pretty helpful for improvement too, even if you only play one match with them.

SDooM wrote: »
    Speaking as one of the weaker players, would it be an idea to get some form of boards league going so we could seed players then or something? Then we could make more relevant fights in tournaments?

This is a brilliant idea. I always found it annoying when they gave michael shumacher the best car. The best should start from the BACK of the grid, not the front.

We should definately do something like this....because then more people would be up for tourneys as they know they stand a chance of atleast winning a few matches against other players their calibre.

I thought the purpose of seeding players was to keep top players apart in the early stages, with the idea the best players would meet towards the end of a tournament.

Could lead to a situation where the top 2 players play each other in the first game and one is eliminated straight away. Weaker players could potentially progress futher simply because they have been sheilded from the better players and had an easiar run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Doesn't the tournament maker software on shoryuken.com allow for seeding? That could be an option.

I thought the purpose of seeding players was to keep top players apart in the early stages, with the idea the best players would meet towards the end of a tournament.

Could lead to a situation where the top 2 players play each other in the first game and one is eliminated straight away. Weaker players could potentially progress futher simply because they have been sheilded from the better players and had an easiar run.

Generally thats the way its done, so that the best players....the crowd pleasers, dont go out early.

But you can use seedings for other purposes. Make sure that the people playing each other are of similar skill levels, etc. Im sure its no fun to lose in the first round of a tourney every time.

I suppose thats the nature of tournement play though. "The weak lose and the strong win" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Doesn't seem fair at all to seed it that way for the reason Azza outlined. A tournament is a tournament and casuals are casuals, no need to mix the two.

Advertisement