Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happened my cat?

Options
  • 27-06-2009 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

Missy (1yr neutered female) came in last night with this on her back. The hair is completely gone and the skin is broken very evenly. She wasn't in any pain and is acting normally, eating fine, litter tray fine. Can't for the life of me work out what happened to her.

She's very nervous of people so wouldn't automatically go to anyone except me. Her collar has a breaking clasp and its about an inch or so down from it so doubt she got caught in something.

Any ideas?

4966_97557503953_622373953_1878425_6130200_n.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Cypresstree

Hi Purple Princess,
    That looks like possible a bite or a scrape from another cat that turned into an abscess and burst. Is the fur around it matter or wet in any way?

He might possibly need antibiotics etc

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

going by how it looks and the position, it seems like a cat bite.

Best to have it looked at by a vet so your cat can be given the right meds to prevent any infections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

That looks realllly sore - I'd bring her to the vet - she may need a shot if you don't know what caused it. It is a very even looking thing, I wonder did she get snagged on something perhaps. It is most peculiar

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

She wasn't in any pain and is acting normally

just on that note:

cats are really, really tough buggers ...they'd need to be near death before they'd give away that they're in pain.

behaviour is no real indicator if your cat is fine/pain free or not

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭HereKitty

Hi PurplePrincess
    Agree with previous posters bring poor old Puss to the vet. Could need an antibiotic to prevent infection. By the way if it is a bite apparently Domestic cats can often go into toxic shock as mine did :eek: after a bite from a feral cat, can be very serious. They carry all sorts of poisons apparently. Hope your cat is okay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

That does look very like a cat bite, and it looks deep best to be treated by a vet and in the mean time until you can get the cat to the vet (which should be soon) bathe the sore area in warm very salty water it could get infected very easily. Cat bites very often become infected so keep a close eye and keep the cat indoors at least until the wound has been seen by the vet and has healed up fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

Thanks for all the info. In all honesty I didn't realise it was that serious so at least I've learnt something. I took her to the vet yeterday evening and she got some antibiotics and the wound cleaned. The sore is starting to heal up and I will keep her in for a few days till she is better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I'm glad to heard that PurplePrincess,
    Yeah I know sometimes we kinda think, ah they'll be ok, especially when they act fine. But I always prefer to be safe, as you said she needed a shot of anti-bs. Which is good that she's on the mend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

PurplePrincess, did the vet say what they thought had caused the injury?

I would ask them to confirm if they believe it's a cat bite, and then investigate whether it's worth while doing testing for some of the ailments cats can transmit through scratching or biting. In the main, the worry would be feline AIDs, an immunodeficiency disease that will mean a change in the care your cat needs. Feline AIDs is becoming more and more common and if you have a lot of cats in your area, hopefully your cat will be fine but it could be worth checking it out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

That looks very similar to what happenned to Pat once. On the morning of the worst hangover of my entire life, he jumped in the bathrrom window as usual and when I looked down at him, he looked as though half his neck had exploded off. It was horrible all gouged and ripped with his furs all soggy around it. Que hysteria and racing to the vets. Pat was quite calm about the whole thing although you could see he was a bit freaked - I didnt help as have no head at all in panic situations that involve blood or pain. And when the world is framing with the severity of the hangover, its not the right time to parade war wounds in front of me.

Anyway, the vet said it was probably a bite or a scraw that got infected and burst. His fur is so long that you wouldnt be able to tell whats underneath. THe whole crater shape was the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Penrose

IT could be from fence or barbed wire, the cat may have been scared and ran through this it also could be from another cat but its in a strange place, normally cats also have face scratches.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

My first thought when I saw the pic was rat bite....
    I'm glad you've been to the vet with her. I second the suggestion of having a couple of tests carried out....

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

Oh holy crap you're all scaring me now. She has up to date vacc's but I will get back in touch with the vet and ask his advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Sorry for scaring you - it's not my intention. She will hopefully and probably be fine, but if she's picked up something, it's important you don't allow her contact with other cats in case she transmits it to them. I'd be keeping her inside until you have the all-clear.

Advertisement