Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pay priest for baptism?

Options
  • 27-06-2009 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭

heya

my son is being baptised tomorrow. it is generally done to give the priest a few quid for it? or make a donation? i haven't been at one for 20 years!

i remember when i was an alter boy you used to get a fiver for a baptism...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Yeah, we did. Cash in an envelope. Can't remember if we gave it to the priest or dropped it into the sacristy tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭gar_29

Khannie wrote: »
    Yeah, we did. Cash in an envelope. Can't remember if we gave it to the priest or dropped it into the sacristy tbh.

cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

No worries. Good luck tomorrow. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The church woman who came to the house to "prep" my missis, suggested an extortionate amount for (1) the priest and (2) the sacristan.

We halved it - and I still think it was steep. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Dreamer 7

I have had all 3 of my children christened and never paid a cent ! Never occured to me and it was never implied in any way.

I know for weddings it costs a fotune but not for baptisms............is the priest talking about me now !:D

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 76 ✭✭Grandadsbear

Dreamer 7 wrote: »
    I have had all 3 of my children christened and never paid a cent ! Never occured to me and it was never implied in any way.

I know for weddings it costs a fotune but not for baptisms............is the priest talking about me now !:D

Why is it ok to complain about giving the priest a few quid for performing the marriage :confused:... surely what he does is more important than arriving in a fancy over priced hire car!!!!

Anyway, no priest looks for payment for these duties...your sunday evelope is to cover the expense of such duties but I'm sure a donation of 20-50 is more than kind!!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭nayorleck114

Baptism in free (in the Catholic church) you don't need to pay anything. You don't need to feel obliged to pay.

If you want to donate that is your business.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 76 ✭✭Grandadsbear

Baptism in free (in the Catholic church) you don't need to pay anything. You don't need to feel obliged to pay.

Well said!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Tell the priest that the CoI is half the price, but if he throws in a few indulgences you might go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Exactly. Well said.
    Tell the priest that the CoI is half the price, but if he throws in a few indulgences you might go for it.

Ha ha ha ha Good one!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

A few years back at my cousins Christening (at which a few babies were being baptised) the priest came down to my uncle after the ceremony and asked him for his 'donation' in front of everyone.

Now my uncle had the envelope in his suit jacket but was wrapped up in taking photos of the baby with the family and godparents. I was quite young at the time and even then thought it was the highly rude on the part of the priest. And didnt understand why the priest was being paid in the first place, after all they recieve what is pretty much a salary (although I know thats not the right word for it) anyway. I certainly dont understand it any better now that Im grown up and working - I dont get paid extra every time I do something particular in my job, why should they.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 mam1

We had our daughter christened Oct. 2007 and the lady who ran the parish office told me it was 100 euro which I thought very steep as there were 5 other babies on the day...not bad for an hours work mind you....and they say the church has no money,Also they didnt put the heating on and the church was absolutely icy cold, the same lady was at back of church to collect the DONATIONS on the way out..just thought it was all a little mercenary..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Ask for VAT receipt, forward copy to the Revenue Commissioners. End of...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Since when were the sacraments chargeable? Did Jesus not loose the head in the temple with the traders?

Feel free to donate to the priest/parish/church but do not feel obliged to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kiwikid

its an obligation for Catholics to support their priests - but its our choice what to pay not theirs.
    I would donate but in a sealed envelope, whatever i could afford.

Advertisement