Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie World XI - Right Back

• 27-06-2009 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭

Voting for Goalkeeper closes tomorrow.

Voting for the first outfield player now. Some people may disagree with the nominations (I've put in Ramos as a nomination, sorry Des :D), but I reckon its better to put in more choice in, even if this position is probably only between 2 players.

I've put in John O'Shea as a nominee as well as I think he's been solid enough over the last while, playing for a top team, to deserve one. Have a feeling people might just vote for him for a laugh though... Still didn't want to be controversial with United fans so I've thrown him in.

Best Right-Back in the World? 145 votes

Zambrotta
    0% 0 votes
    Arbeloa
    7% 11 votes
    Danny Alves
    0% 1 vote
    Glen Johnson
    20% 29 votes
    Sergio Ramos
    4% 6 votes
    John O'Shea
    2% 3 votes
    Maicon
    13% 20 votes
    Sagna
    41% 60 votes
    Zanetti
    7% 11 votes
    Bosingwa
    2% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

You forgot to include the poll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

How can one vote with no poll on which to choose?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Jesus gis a second will yas.

I've put Zanetti in even though he doesn't really play here anymore, as I think its a position lacking quality options, and Zanetti probably has no chance of making it into the Centre-Mid slot.

I've also put players in that I don't really rate (like Bosingwa) but who someone might want to vote for, so they're in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

maicon.

close thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Danny Alves. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

makes you realise how few real quality RBs there are, esp when you consider that except Sagna (and Johnson whom most dont agree with the huge fee for) all the players above who would command a really high fee arent really out and out rbs and are more attacking WBs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

Arbeloa?

I'm a Liverpool fan and I think it's ridiculous he's considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Refreshing to see Liverpool have two of the top 10 right backs in the world.

Arbeloa?

I'm a Liverpool fan and I think it's ridiculous he's considered.

As I said I'm putting in more players than should probably be considered just in case someone wants to vote for them. Obviously Arbeloa shouldn't really be considered a contender, but I rate him higher than Bosingwa and John O'Shea so if they're getting considered I thought I might as well throw Arby in as well. There's no harm having him in there he probably won't get any votes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭kev_s88

the problem is that none of those players are real RBs apart...majority of them are more attacking RBs/RMs like Alves and Maicon...then you have John O'Shea who is a real defender but is a makeshift RB...

if i had to pick anyone right now it would be O'Shea purely because he defends and attacks well...but i dont think he should be the best...i just dont think any of the others should either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,434 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I have a bit of a fetish for Zanetti...so Zanetti!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I'm a United fan, but why the hell is O Shea in this list lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

to be honest there are no real stand outs on that list. Alves and Maicon are the best attackers by far, but both are pretty weak when it comes to defending and leave acres behind themselves to exploit.

Zanetti and Zambrotta were world class in their day, but not any more.

Arbeloa, O' Shea, Johnson, Ramos and Bosingwa are all pretty average, although some more than others. Arbeloa and O'Shea really is scraping the barrel.

That leaves Sagna for me. I know he's not had the best of seasons, but on form he can be a real attacking threat, and he'd be much better defensively than either of the top two. He's still not fantastic in this regard, but he doesn't get caught out too often and leaves a lot less space to exploit than either of the top two. So he's my favourite of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

If Lahm doesnt make it in the left back spot, he should be put in for this position.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Maicon, end of discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

That leaves Sagna for me. I know he's not had the best of seasons, but on form he can be a real attacking threat, and he'd be much better defensively than either of the top two. He's still not fantastic in this regard, but he doesn't get caught out too often and leaves a lot less space to exploit than either of the top two. So he's my favourite of the day.

Sagna?

Maicon has been on top form with Inter for years and probably one of the most consistent players over his career. He not only gets a good return of assists but is a goal scorer too.

He's the reason Dani Alves isn't in the Brazilian first team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

The answer really should be Maicon but nowhere near enough people watch Serie A for him to win. Josh has a better chance

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Sagna?

Maicon has been on top form with Inter for years and probably one of the most consistent players over his career. He not only gets a good return of assists but is a goal scorer too.

He's the reason Dani Alves isn't in the Brazilian first team
    Bubs101 wrote: »
    The answer really should be Maicon but nowhere near enough people watch Serie A for him to win. Josh has a better chance

I know he gets assists and goals, but defensively he's always come across as very poor to me. Any time I've seen him play he leaves acres behind himself to be exploited. Maybe i just haven't seen enough of him like you say.

As for Sagna, he gets a fair amount of assists too. I can't find a reliable place for stats to compare either, but from what patchy figures i can find in the past 5 years Maicon got 22 assists (soccernet), and Sagna got 19 (wiki).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think Sagna is the best RB in the premiership. Personally i havent seen enough of Maicon to comment, so I really wouldnt know. When I see him with Brazil thought I argee he's better than Alves but I've yet to see him long-term.

Nonetheless, I went for Sagna.

Smegball wrote: »

I put him in because some people out there would actually rather have him in their team ahead of any others. I wouldn't, but I knew some would. That's why I put him in. Same as Arbeloa, Bosingwa etc... I really don't see the harm in chucking a good few names in as contenders. Better that than leave out a player that someone would want to vote for and can't because I decided he shouldn't be on the list. That way everyone's opinion gets across, and not just mine.

If I had only Maicon and Alves up there there'd be way more complaints.

And he's taken a decent few votes so far anyway which suggests his nomination was pretty valid. Or that people are taking the piss/giving him the Irish vote.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Johnno FTW.

Rafael da Silva is better than Arbeloa, Johnsen, Zanetti, Bosingwa and Ramos as well, definitely should have been in there.

Also isn't Lahm better known as RB than LB? Could be wrong on that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭ChumpStain

The mighty Maicon gets my vote!

flahavaj wrote: »

meh... 6 to 1 half a dozen to the other. He's known to prefer the RB position himself and is quite capable in the position, but a lot of analysts think he operates better down the left, as he's exceptionally good at cutting inside. I'd put him down at LB personally, but the poll should be probably amended if possible.

Johnno FTW.

Rafael da Silva is better than Arbeloa, Johnsen, Zanetti, Bosingwa and Ramos as well, definitely should have been in there.

I've only ever seen Lahm play Left-back, but he is a right-footer. Still I think he'd go down as a left-back if you had to pigeonhole him.

As for Rafael, I was considering him but he's so young, his career is only starting and I just felt that he couldn't really be considered as a world best at this early stage. Then again I could've thrown him in but I only put in 10 options and O'Shea has played more regularly and proven himself in this position so I went with him.

Not everyones going to agree with the nominations 100% but the top contenders will always be in there, it's not like Arbeloa, Bosingwa, Rafael (if I had put him in) etc... actually have any chance of winning anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

O'Shea is currently a better RB than da Silva, which is evidenced by him keeping his place over Da Silva also. No need to put him in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Johnno FTW.

I wonder are people on a wind up with these kinda posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

John O'Shea has been the most consistent RB in England this season, both attacking and defending. Sagna leaves a lot to be desired, as does Bosingwa. Alves is good at getting in crosses, but he's not great at stopping them at the other end, same with Maicon. As for the rest, no real contenders there.. Rafael will put them all to shame within three years time... I might be a United supporter:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Sergio Ramos is a horrible defender. We only just saw in the Confederations Cup how an awful mistake by him led to the second USA goal which effectively put Spain out. Look at the Champions League this year. Once again, it was Sergio Ramos who was primarily at fault when Liverpool destroyed them 5-0. He might be alright going forward, but he's a Gary Doherty when it comes to defending.

Darijo Srna is a shocking omission from this list by the way. Going from last season - he's in the top 5.

John O'Shea has been the most consistent RB in England this season,

consistency != best.

JOS has been consistent all right, but the more inconsistent Johnson and Sagna arguably contributed a lot more to their teams progress overall...

JOS is still a pretty average player. Going forward he can't really beat men, and wouldn't be a patch on any of the others in terms of overlapping and stretching the opposition defences. Surprisingly good crosser though.

• Advertisement

The thing about Sagna is I don't know how people can think he's that good. Nobody here watches the French leage as the Ligue 1 thread showed so all they've seen is one good season and one **** one. No way is that better than Maicon, Alves, Zanetti and arguably Johnson who's had one good season and one great one

Darijo Srna is a shocking omission from this list by the way. Going from last season - he's in the top 5.

i knew someone was missing!

i haven't seen much of him, but he was definitely Shaktar's best player in the few European matches I saw.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

voted Sagna myself simply because he is more of a RB than Maicon (Attacking WB) and of those listed those two are the best 2 imo in this position

but yes Srna & Lahm should be there two but of course they play in Germany and Ukraine so arent as good as JOS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Darijo Srna of course! Amazing player with Shaktar, I was surprised he's escaped rumours of a big move.

Vote still goes to Maicon, whatever I've seen of him for Inter and Brazil I think he's awesome.

PHB wrote: »
    O'Shea is currently a better RB than da Silva, which is evidenced by him keeping his place over Da Silva also. No need to put him in.

I genuinely believe Rafael would have been United's first choice RB by the end of the season but for injuries at vital stages of the season. Rafael is clearly the better player, but JOS took his chance when injuries left him as first choice.

JPA wrote: »
    I wonder are people on a wind up with these kinda posts.

Why do you say this? I would rather Rafael in my team than Ramos, Johnsen, Arbeloa, Ramos or Bosingwa any day of the week. Its not even a contest to be perfectly honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Havn't seen enough of Maicon to justify a vote, Dani Alves gets mine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

Best Right back either Zambrotta or Maicon end of!

Don't no why people think Alves and Ramos are good right backs:rolleyes:

Srna imo should be in there and your man Cissokho(don't know if he is a lb or rb) is a quaility player

Sergio Ramos is a horrible defender. We only just saw in the Confederations Cup how an awful mistake by him led to the second USA goal which effectively put Spain out. Look at the Champions League this year. Once again, it was Sergio Ramos who was primarily at fault when Liverpool destroyed them 5-0. He might be alright going forward, but he's a Gary Doherty when it comes to defending.

Apologies completely forgot about Srna. I've only seen him play a couple of times but he was class in the UEFA cup final and really should've been on the list, just didn't come into my head.

Keep suggestions coming, Centre-Back will be next up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Why do you say this? I would rather Rafael in my team than Ramos, Johnsen, Arbeloa, Ramos or Bosingwa any day of the week. Its not even a contest to be perfectly honest.

Just that he's so unproven. Give 1, 2, or 3 seasons and yes, maybe he'll the clear leader in a poll like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

Anyone in their right mind who watches Inter regularly wouldn't even consider voting for anyone but Maicon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Smegball wrote: »

O'Shea could and should be in the list for every position in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

to be honest there are no real stand outs on that list. Alves and Maicon are the best attackers by far, but both are pretty weak when it comes to defending and leave acres behind themselves to exploit.

Certainly for Brazil they are both told to play that way , they use the full backs for attacking width allowing the defensive midfielders to plug the gaps when they do attack so I wouldn't say either are defensively weak

The new Boards.ie Right back is......

Maicon

Led from the start and never looked back, this position was a no contest really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

Common sence has prevailed.

Mr Maroon wrote: »
    Common sence has prevailed.

I don't know, O'Shea got 20 votes! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

People have definitely been influenced by the posts in this thread. I'm fairly sure not that many people watch Serie A on a regular enough basis to vote for Maicon.

Not necessarily that I'm saying it's the wrong decision now, for that very same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

playa3 wrote: »
    People have definitely been influenced by the posts in this thread. I'm fairly sure not that many people watch Serie A on a regular enough basis to vote for Maicon.

Not necessarily that I'm saying it's the wrong decision now, for that very same reason.

He's been excellent in the confederations cup and regularly starts ahead of Alves for Brazil tbf.

playa3 wrote: »

Nobody here watches Serie A, maximum 10, certainly not 60 but he is clearly the best in the world to anyone who does watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Maicon was the right choice of the players available, but as I reckon that Lahm might not get in on the LB spot, i think he's better than Maicon.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Wenger was clearly off his box signing Sagna. He should have gone for O'Shea.

Snigger.

• Advertisement
Advertisement