Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lollipop Bay Tree Query - HELP!

Options
  • 27-06-2009 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have a Lollipop Bay Tree in a large pot.

Last summer the bay was hit by caterpillars and all the leaves began to curl up. I trimmed back the ones which were hit worst then tried giving the leaves a good watering and eventually gave in to use some Bug Killer to rid them which worked.

Over the winter I was watering it too much and all the leaves turned golden and fell off.
    Coming into the summer I was conscious of not over watering and as a result have under watered it and again all the leaves have turned golden and a lot have fallen off. The soil was completely bone dry and really difficult to break up (I could literally take the bay out with all the soil attached - it was so dry). I got a large screwdriver and began to break up all the soil and was able to water it gradually as I went along ensuring the roots got a good watering.
    I also applied some organic seaweed plant stimulant.

My bay looks terrible. I really feel like throwing it in the bin but I want to stick with it and I cost me a lot of money so would like to bring it back to it's former glory.

Any ideas/suggestions on how I could help it to recover and get it to start growing again?

Should I take it out of the current pot - buy a larger pot and replant? If so, can you please suggest what I should add to it while repotting.

Also I notice a lot of roots around the top of the soil. Should I cut these back somewhat?

Cheers in advance :)

Advertisement