Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few questions about returning a laptop.

Options
  • 27-06-2009 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Ok I bought a laptop 2 years ago this august and It's been giving me a lot of trouble, its overheating and the hard drive is making crazy clicking noises so its only a matter of time before it fails.
    The laptop itself has a 3 year warranty.
    The charger for it broke before and the shop told me to ring the manafacturers helpine to get a replacement mailed to me but I was out of the country at the time so I had to get a generic charger instead. I did business for the LC but it was a few years ago so I'm a bit rusty on my consumer rights...am I correct in saying its the shops responsibility to arrange for it to be collected for repair because I bought it from them and not the manafacturer? If so maybe by me causing them enough hassle to get it sorted I can wrangle a refund?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

If you have a 3 year warranty then there should normally just be a phone number to arange a service call.

Why not just call the number and save yourself a trip to the shop ?

Edit:
    You may want to check if you voided your warranty by using a 3rd party charger. The issues you describe sound heat related , so the charger may be the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

jhegarty wrote: »
    If you have a 3 year warranty then there should normally just be a phone number to arange a service call.

Why not just call the number and save yourself a trip to the shop ?

Yes but cant I just force the shop to do it for me? I want to make it a chore for the shop so they might consider giving the refund just to see the back of me. I have no summer job, recession etc etc so I'll have a lot of free time.

All I need to know; is the shop obligated to arrange the repair themselves with the manafacturer?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

jhegarty wrote: »
    Edit:
    You may want to check if you voided your warranty by using a 3rd party charger. The issues you describe sound heat related , so the charger may be the cause.

I have an original charger which I use now, the third party one was only used for 2 weeks. I had no problems using the third party one, the overheating problems and fried battery life(went from 3.5hours to 5 minutes) only appeared 6 months down the line with the new original charger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 digidy21

You will not get a refund for a 2 year old laptop. it just wont happen. they will offer to get it repaired but that is about it. if you had experienced the problem in the first month or two and you had gone back to the shop about it, then there would be a record of it and you might be able to argue it. but going back to the shop after using it for 2 years then all you are entitled to is a repair.

the reason the shop tell you to call the manufacturer yourself is because that is all they would do anyway. so you can either bring it to the shop and get them to call the manufacturer for you and let them send it off to be repaired for you, or you can save yourself some time and just contact the manufactuer directly. the shop have to follow the same procedure as you will so it would be quicker to do it yourslef.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭gar_29

doesn't seem reasonable to expect them to collect it from you, unless that was specifically in the warranty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Goto the shop. Your information will get lost, as it's never covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

mrmeindl wrote: »
    Yes but cant I just force the shop to do it for me? I want to make it a chore for the shop so they might consider giving the refund just to see the back of me. I have no summer job, recession etc etc so I'll have a lot of free time.

All I need to know; is the shop obligated to arrange the repair themselves with the manafacturer?

well the shop give you a 30 day money back guarantee or something along those lines but the warranty comes from the manufacture directly rather than the shop so the manufacture will do it all for you not the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

the hard drive is making crazy clicking noises so its only a matter of time before it fails.

Not answering the question of rights, but I presume you've backed up everything you want already somewhere else? If they end up repairing/replacing, I've never see a guarantee that covers your data. It's also worth taking a note of all the software you use.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭DOS

People with an attitude like yours is why customer service in Ireland is so poor.

The laptop sounds like it is clogged with dust causing it to overheat. Hard drive clicking sounds like the machine was dropped at some stage and the heads are damaged from the impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

DOS wrote: »
    People with an attitude like yours is why customer service in Ireland is so poor.

Totally agree with the above poster. Your laptop is two years old, if you have a problem with it, within the first year you can bring it back to the shop and they will gladly get in contact with the manufacturer for you. What sort of a person thinks they will get a refund after two years is beyond me! That's like buying a car and saying because I got 2 flat tires I want a refund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Stores are not obliged even after a month let alone 2 years. Stop being an awkward customer and just get onto the manufacturers yourself. You can hardly be that lazy!

And there's no way they would give you a refund just to see the back of you. That's what they have security for ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

robbie_998 wrote: »
    well the shop give you a 30 day money back guarantee or something along those lines but the warranty comes from the manufacture directly rather than the shop so the manufacture will do it all for you not the shop.
    your contract is with the store and they are obligated to have the laptop repaired(but not always free of charge) even up to 6 years after purchase but they will send it off to be examined and the manufacturer may find the faults are due to accidental damage or customer mis-use.

the most likely outcome is your laptop will be repaired or replaced with a refurbished unit with similar or usually slightly higher specs if your model is not available,

op you have no automatic right to a refund and what you are planning is fraudulant plain and simple!

Advertisement