Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

social science

• 27-06-2009 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

stressed post lc student with 3 days till cao closing date..........is social science a good course? what r the job oppotunities after it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

if you really like social science - dont pick it if your just kinda half assed about it

not like arts where you have full choice of subjects and more time to think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

stressed post lc student with 3 days till cao closing date..........is social science a good course? what r the job oppotunities after it?

I have just graduated from the course. I found it to be very interesting but I'd like to give you a bit of advice;

• Firstly, it's very important that you think about this. This is a big life changing decision and contrary to what your teachers are probably telling you, you don't have to go to Uni straight away. If you are sure that you want to do Social Science then go for it. However if you are not then please take your time to think about what you really want to do. The last thing you need is choosing Social Science only for it to be not what you'd thought it be and for you to drop out. Take a year to think about it because in the long run, you will benefit greatly from that decision.
    • Sociology and Social Policy are the two mandatory subjects in first year but you can drop either one of them in 2nd Year. But what I suggest is that you continue to do both Social Policy and Sociology because both subjects really compliment each other and it will make the degree easier on you.
    • Social Science is a bit abstract in regards to career opportunities. Other than Social Care Work it is one of those degrees that you really need to do the Masters in Sociology, Social Policy or Social Work in order to make a career in the field of Social Science. The catch though for these Masters is that you have to really perform to a high standard in the degree in order to be considered so work your socks off in 2nd and 3rd Year.
    • In the case of the Masters in Social Work, bear in mind that two years minimum of voluntary work is part of the criteria for consideration. So taking up voluntary work while you are doing the degree is advised unless you want to waste two years between the degree and the masters!
    • Go to your tutorials, it will help you not only in making sense of the assignments, but it is also the better place for you to make friends (in comparison to lectures).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭Rosita

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I have just graduated from the course. I found it to be very interesting but I'd like to give you a bit of advice;

• Firstly, it's very important that you think about this. This is a big life changing decision and contrary to what your teachers are probably telling you, you don't have to go to Uni straight away. If you are sure that you want to do Social Science then go for it. However if you are not then please take your time to think about what you really want to do. The last thing you need is choosing Social Science only for it to be not what you'd thought it be and for you to drop out. Take a year to think about it because in the long run, you will benefit greatly from that decision.

This is contradictary advice. Why is taking a year out better than finding you don't like a subject and dropping it after a year? At least you then have the experience of lectures and exams. There is little the OP will do in a year out to make a decision about pursuing Social Science any more informed in 12 months time than it would be now I would suggest.

Sociology can be studied through Arts which would give the same Master's options at the end without the same pigeon-holing of a Social Science degree.

Rosita wrote: »
    This is contradictary advice. Why is taking a year out better than finding you don't like a subject and dropping it after a year? At least you then have the experience of lectures and exams. There is little the OP will do in a year out to make a decision about pursuing Social Science any more informed in 12 months time than it would be now I would suggest.

Sociology can be studied through Arts which would give the same Master's options at the end without the same pigeon-holing of a Social Science degree.

Firstly, you wouldn't be wasting a year. I know it's tougher in this climate but one could get a job while thinking about what they want to do. This would also help in saving money in order to enjoy college. Travelling would be another choice.

Secondly, dropping out automatically means full fees must be paid if you go back again to do a course. Grants don't cover it, you will have to pay thousands of euro in fees yourself. It's best that you gather as much info as possible about a course before you choose. Hell even doing some voluntary work (in regards to Social Science) in order to get a taste for the course mightn't be a bad idea either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭Rosita

LZ5by5 wrote: »

Secondly, dropping out automatically means full fees must be paid if you go back again to do a course. Grants don't cover it, you will have to pay thousands of euro in fees yourself. It's best that you gather as much info as possible about a course before you choose. Hell even doing some voluntary work in order to get a taste for the course mightn't be a bad idea either.

Would you not only have to pay fees for the first year of a new course if you dropped out of another course in first year first? That was my understanding of it.

Anyway, anyone who waits a year now will probably not have the free-fees option after the next budget I'd expect.

• Advertisement

Rosita wrote: »
    Would you not only have to pay fees for the first year of a new course if you dropped out of another course in first year first? That was my understanding of it.

Yes, you only have to pay the mandatory fees in first year. However, and I am speaking from experience, if you drop out in Semester 1 you are looking at numbers around 3,000 E. If you drop out in Semester 2 then they will hit you twice that amount so you'd be paying 6,000 E. No-one wants to pay that kind of money, even if it is only for one year.
    Anyway, anyone who waits a year now will probably not have the free-fees option after the next budget I'd expect.

Grants will always be there though if you qualify for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 stressedcao

what is social science like as a course is its really big? i find ucd quite daunting! i seriously so confused right now?

what is social science like as a course is its really big? i find ucd quite daunting! i seriously so confused right now?

How do you define big? It's not so hard in 1st year, on the Social Policy side you do a few assignments around what social policy is and how it is defined. In Sociology 1st Year you basically study the foundations of the field and the three main theorists in the field (Durkheim, Weber, Marx). Assignments aren't bad in first year but a lot of reading is required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

Hey,

I amnt a Social Science student myself. However my sister just graduated her Masters Degree in Social science the other day.

She done the Degree and took a year out then straight into masters(year out to travel and save up money for masters)

Anyway.

I can literally only comment on the job prospects.

The job has one of the highest starting salaries from a basic degree that i know of, around 40+ k a year.

However, in the current climate the odds of getting a job straight off with only a degree are basically slim to none unless you have contacts of some sort or have some brilliant experience.

My sister is applying and has been for past couple of months for a basic social work job. In any area.

I have to say firstly, her reasons for doing the masters was she wanted to get into one of the harder to get areas of social work. She felt that getting a masters would up her chances of getting in and give her vital experience due to the placement etc. (it seems according to her that experience is better then any potential grades you get in exams)

Now she has insane experience in various areas relating to social work ranging from hospital work to a home for the disabled.

She cannot get a job. There are positions available but no funding for them.

She was working during her masters placement in an area on a team. This team required 12 social workers. They only had funding for 8. So there was only 8.

That means there was 4 empty places that people could of taken up, but the government wouldn't give the cash for it.

Ridiculous to say the least that a girl with a master in a chosen area cannot get a job that only requires a degree in said area.

There is no overqualifying in this field so its not related to that.

Having said that. Some her mates didnt take a year out and graduated their masters a year ago and have found great jobs.

When recession ends it will be great.

The degree itself is built like an arts degree. except it has an option for one subject arts doesn't. I think another poster has this covered do.

Basically, its hard to get a job. But when you do its well paid starting off and exactly what it says on the tin!

I do not mean to sound bad about the job. It can be very rewarding in its own way. Yet it can also be very tough.

By the time you graduate the recession will hopefully be coming to an end and social work will be an open job again. In the past jobs were always available like. Its just the cut down with recession etc...

Realistically, if you want it bad enough you will do it and find away. It may not be easy but worth it in the end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭amtaxi

I'm a little confused about getting the social work qualification in UCD - I've read "somewhere" that you can get your full qualification in 4 years - however can't find this in the UCD website?

• Advertisement

amtaxi wrote: »
    I'm a little confused about getting the social work qualification in UCD - I've read "somewhere" that you can get your full qualification in 4 years - however can't find this in the UCD website?

Not quite. It takes three years for the degree, and another two for the masters in Social Work, so you're looking at 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

amtaxi wrote: »

To my knowledge you have your full qualification upon receiving your degree. However not pursuing further education can impede your employment prospects.

(read my post above)

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

I just graduated from social science last week and i can only recommend the course. It was great, enjoyed every minute of it. i applied to the masters, and got it. I have very little expierence in voluntary work and so forth but i have done pretty well over the course of my degree. It really depends on you as a person and how badly you want to be a social worker..

• Registered Users Posts: 26 stressedcao

Hey im starting social science next week and am rather happy! was just wondering does anyone know the timetable? what modules would you recommend? Im thinking psychology and maybe archeology

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Hey im starting social science next week and am rather happy! was just wondering does anyone know the timetable? what modules would you recommend? Im thinking psychology and maybe archeology

You have to register yourself in the morning!

Advertisement